lane discipline

whitegold:
Strange thing I’ve noticed, is the way some LGVs seem attracted to the Right Hand Lane entering/on/around a big 2 lane Roundabout - thinking of M18/A1(M) doughnut as I write this.
When I was learning - about 35 years ago - one of the things that was impressed on me was that an Artic just doesn’t have the acceleration of a Ferrari. So consequently, when you approach a 2 lane roundabout - intending to turn right, and then have to stop in the Right (outside) lane, you will look like a total idiot trying to pull out across the traffic tearing round the circle.
The point of my ranting is that unless there are road markings specially marking a left filter lane at a multi lane roundabout, I reckon the best and safest course for any “heavy” traffic is to stick to the Left on the approach and stay in the leftmost lane around the doughnut. That also avoids another of the common problems, squashing some impatient car on your blind (nearside) when you eventually have to change lanes halfway round the doughnut.

I’m not sure if everyone will agree with me - comments anybody?

I do absolutely would rather be overtaken than undertaken, every day (and the geometry of a roundabout means it’s easier to stay in the outside lane than the inside, shallower arc)
I’ll lend you my tin hat, we both may need it.

My other bugbear is traffic lights. I don’t mind the BMs and Audis racing me off the lights, but it P’s me off when they pass me, then cut in just before them.

renaultman:

whitegold:
Strange thing I’ve noticed, is the way some LGVs seem attracted to the Right Hand Lane entering/on/around a big 2 lane Roundabout - thinking of M18/A1(M) doughnut as I write this.
When I was learning - about 35 years ago - one of the things that was impressed on me was that an Artic just doesn’t have the acceleration of a Ferrari. So consequently, when you approach a 2 lane roundabout - intending to turn right, and then have to stop in the Right (outside) lane, you will look like a total idiot trying to pull out across the traffic tearing round the circle.
The point of my ranting is that unless there are road markings specially marking a left filter lane at a multi lane roundabout, I reckon the best and safest course for any “heavy” traffic is to stick to the Left on the approach and stay in the leftmost lane around the doughnut. That also avoids another of the common problems, squashing some impatient car on your blind (nearside) when you eventually have to change lanes halfway round the doughnut.

I do absolutely would rather be overtaken than undertaken, every day (and the geometry of a roundabout means it’s easier to stay in the outside lane than the inside, shallower arc)
I’ll lend you my tin hat, we both may need it.

It’s a good idea in theory but as soon as someone,who does’nt understand the idea,runs into the side of the truck it’s going to take a lot of arguing and explaining to avoid being lumbered with a bad accident record by the guvnor unless you’re an owner driver.However the undertaking bs is a red herring because that would stop anyone with that phobia driving a right hand drive vehicle on the continent. :unamused: :open_mouth:

I,ve thought for a long time that the worst UK road for bad lane discipline is the M8 through Glasgow, some of it is 4 lane and the locals just seem to pick a lane at random, thinking I used that one yesterday, I,ll hog this one today, and in the 3 lane sections they stick to the middle lane like Sh to a blanket,totally oblivious to the trucks queueing up behind them :imp: , it doesn,t help that some of the slip exits go off to the right, so in the busiest periods, they are all jockeying for position in the last 100yds, blocking each other off, where it becomes every man for himself.

whitegold:

Recipe for disaster. What happens if there’s only 1 lane off at the righthand exit? You’re going round the outside and someone else is correctly going roung the inside at the same time = carnage. 35 years ago there was nothing on the roads in comparison to today so going round the outside probably wouldn’t have caused too many problems but there’s no way it’d work today and I’d certainly have plenty to say to any other motorist who cut me up doing exactly what you are suggesting.

The roundabout that ■■■■■■ me off most is the one at M62 J20 (Rochdale). Coming from Manchester the 3 lanes are marked M62W, Rochdale, M62E. As you get onto the roundabout the M62E lane splits into two and the nearside lane becomes Rochdale only, but that doesn’t stop everyone approaching the roundabout in lane 2 for the M62E and then blindly cutting across the line markings into the nearside M62E lane once on the roundabout. :angry:

Rob K:

whitegold:

Recipe for disaster. What happens if there’s only 1 lane off at the righthand exit? You’re going round the outside and someone else is correctly going roung the inside at the same time = carnage. 35 years ago there was nothing on the roads in comparison to today so going round the outside probably wouldn’t have caused too many problems but there’s no way it’d work today and I’d certainly have plenty to say to any other motorist who cut me up doing exactly what you are suggesting.

The roundabout that ■■■■■■ me off most is the one at M62 J20 (Rochdale). Coming from Manchester the 3 lanes are marked M62W, Rochdale, M62E. As you get onto the roundabout the M62E lane splits into two and the nearside lane becomes Rochdale only, but that doesn’t stop everyone approaching the roundabout in lane 2 for the M62E and then blindly cutting across the line markings into the nearside M62E lane once on the roundabout. :angry:

But if it’s a truck being driven round or through a roundabout then there’s nothing ‘correct’ about driving around the roundabout side by side with it either.It’s the idea of ‘multi lane’ roundabouts,or using any roundabout as the highway code suggests,when trucks are going round them which is the real recipe for disaster.As for there being no way that driving around the outer lane/s working today that’s more or less how that roundabout at Tolworth is actually laid out with multi lanes marked for a right turn from any point.If you did approach the thing in the right hand lane nearest to the roundabout to make a right turn there without keeping to the outermost lanes possible nearest to the periphery you’d spend the rest of the day going round and round the roundabout without being able to take an exit until all the traffic has gone at around midnight :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: