Lancaster to fly the Atlantic

not sure if this should go inhere or the oldtimers forum but this should be one heck of a sight and sound

cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ … -1.2546757

Billys Forum for non trucking posts.The DC 10 is no more.Last flight was in Africa somewhere.

that will be a great sight…and sound! looking forward to seeing them together

Latique:
not sure if this should go inhere or the oldtimers forum but this should be one heck of a sight and sound

cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ … -1.2546757

as its not driving related Bully’s bar would have been the right one .

Interesting though and well watched bit of history

It’s based at Coningsby which as the crow flies is about 15 to 20 miles from me and every Sunday during the display season it flies right over the top of my house. Me and the g/f get about 5 seconds warning then we’re out into the garden like shots! Awesome sight and sound.

Talking of planes, Oxford Mail reported that the RAF sent it’s first Tristar for scrapping to Kemble last week.

Muckaway:
Talking of planes, Oxford Mail reported that the RAF sent it’s first Tristar for scrapping to Kemble last week.

I don’t suppose anyone will miss them, I understand they were pretty unreliable latterly.

bazza123:

Muckaway:

I don’t suppose anyone will miss them, I understand they were pretty unreliable latterly.

Yes that’s what local news have said in the past.

I watched a Lancaster Bomber at an air display at Llanidloes in Mid Wales about ten years ago. The sight and sound of the aircraft coming up out of the valley and over the hillside where I was parked, was awesome.

Isn’t there one in this country (apart from the BBMF one) that is almost airworthy? I’m sure it was mentioned on Most Haunted years ago, at an air museum?

Muckaway:
Isn’t there one in this country (apart from the BBMF one) that is almost airworthy? I’m sure it was mentioned on Most Haunted years ago, at an air museum?

the one at easy kilby is what your talking about dont think the grass runway would be suitable for the other two to land at which is a shame as twelve merlins together would be an awe inspiring sound .
was talking with a friend who is involved with air shows and the canadian lanc will be giving rides from humberside airport for paying customers at £5k a pop during its visit

Latique:
the canadian lanc will be giving rides from humberside airport for paying customers at £5k a pop during its visit

Ooohh!

:frowning:

There used to be a Lancaster at Strathallan in Perthshire,I believe that they wanted to get it airworthy but cost was a problem.

Muckaway:

that’s called ‘Just Jane’,and may be air-worthy in the near future :smiley:

Be nice to see it and the Vulcan fly together. Now THAT would be the ultimate photo op.

Is the Vulcan still going? I thought they had run out of cash?

the maoster:
Be nice to see it and the Vulcan fly together. Now THAT would be the ultimate photo op.

They flew together at Waddington a few years ago.

bazza123:
Is the Vulcan still going? I thought they had run out of cash?

Not true at all.

XH558 is currently undergoing a wing modification and will continue to fly for two more seasons before she will be grounded for good.

Take a look at their website.
www.vulcantothesky.org

carryfast-yeti:

Muckaway:

that’s called ‘Just Jane’,and may be air-worthy in the near future :smiley:

Absolutely on the money.

The guys at East Kirkby have been gathering parts for some time now, and it is hoped to put her back in the air in the future, subject to CAA inspections.

Sadly it come too late for one of the brothers who own her, Fred Panton, who died last year.

The CWH Lanc from Canada coming here in August, is going to be like the Olympics, a once in a lifetime chance to see her and PA474 from the BBMF together. The rumour machine is just about on fire with what might happen, but the only people that will know, are those involved, but it certainly would be fitting to see all 3 in the air, but I very much doubt it will happen, but if the 2 airworthy one were to attend East Kirkby, then a pic on the ground with them together, would be equally as good.

By the way. Since 2004, I have been fortunate enough to have the BBMF involved with booked flypasts for events that I’ve been part of. I have had the Lanc, 3 Spits and 1 Hurricane. I have also attended LLA members day at Coningsby, and had the end of season airshow with all of the serviceable flight up together.

How cool is that. :grimacing:

I am also one of the few civilians that has been allowed inside the Lanc which happened on my youngest daughters 13th birthday, courtesy of a member of the groundcrew that goes onto the same aircraft forums as myself. Hows that for a birthday treat?

Ken.

East Kirkby is a fantastic place -well worth a visit. They have some great open days/air displays/car shows which mostly involve taxying runs by Just Jane. It is also home of the Lincs. Air museum, well worth a visit even on a ‘non-flying’ day. The airfield has a genuine, authentic WW2 feel - with some great static displays both inside the hangars & all round the airfield. Staff are pleasant & facilities good!! I could be wrong but I’m sure it featured in a recent episode of Midsomer Murders - the one with Bernard Cribbins in it. Any info. on this■■?