Lady truckers!

Martin:
However, I do have a question for the ladies: Whenever I stop to load or tip and another driver is around (Usually in a queue!) we almost always have a natter and pass the time of day, but this NEVER happens with female drivers, why?

You’ve obviously never been stuck in a queue with me then!!! :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

hiya,
Lorianne asking DIRECTIONS i thought it was all satnav and google maps in this day and age (don’t mind me keep on trucking) Harry long retired

harry_gill:
hiya,
Lorianne asking DIRECTIONS i thought it was all satnav and google maps in this day and age (don’t mind me keep on trucking) Harry long retired

Who revived this thread?

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:26 pm :smiley:

Nessa:
It takes a certain kind of woman to want to work long hours, either on their own or surrounded by mainly men, not all of whom are either polite or helpful :unamused: Spend half of their days covered in muck or grease or both :open_mouth: Be able to put up with the banter and give back as good as they get :stuck_out_tongue: Live in an 8’ x 6’ tin box with no luxuries :open_mouth: And have very little home life :exclamation: Even in todays society, with a few notable exceptions, women still have the main role as homemaker and it is an almost impossible task when working 60 - 80 hours per week. I can’t remember the last time i got to the hairdressers, doctors etc… Most of my friends would last about three days in this job. The first time they had to get washed in cold water or night out in a layby with no facilities they would die. It is not a criticism by the way but a statement of fact (they are always telling me I am mad) :laughing:
Until working conditions and hours improve i am afraid that is how it will stay :frowning:

Should this thread be in the ■■■■■ section :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m female - since it isn’t clear from the username.

From the age of 3 until I left school at 18, all my spare time was pretty much spent in a truck with my Dad. Left school, spent 5/6 years in Trafford Park being a fork lift driver. Went driving on and off for about 10 years UK and continental - nothing more exciting than vans and 7.5s. Drove a desk at a freight forwarding company for a couple of years. Now I run my own firm, so in other words, I’ve seen transport from just about every side.

I just don’t think that most women want to work in this industry; apart from the traditional admin/payroll type of jobs, you don’t see many women on the operational side of things nevermind driving. It takes a particular type of woman to want to work in the industry and of my female friends I can’t think of one that would be suited to it.

I think that, generalising wildly here, some jobs just will always have a higher ratio of one gender than the other. Certainly no positive discrimination please - who wants to think they got a job because there was a quota to fill?

As far as wether women are as good as men - there’s good and bad in either. I take people as I find them.

One other thing, I very very rarely find any sexism from drivers, middle management is a completely different kettle of fish! I’d rather deal with drivers any day of the week.

hiya,
sorry Wheel Nut, so long as i don’t have to recusictate my hgv licence as a penalty no fancy getting into harness again,thanks Harry long retired

Dazza:
Maybe the media would look a little more favourably at us if they could get away from the stereotypical “fat hairy bloke driving a truck” image.

That wouldn’t work, most of the women doing this job look like that :smiley: there was a girl a morrisons swan valley once, i couldn’t decide whether she was pretty or ugly, so i opted for pretty ugly :slight_smile:

If female truckers want to be treated as equals why do they have to go the extra mile to prove themselves :question: i’ve been in the industry long enough to know that there are enough bad male drivers as to warrant no extra action in this area :exclamation:

Theres a really fit blonde draws for Readyuse cement over here. Shes a proper hazzard!!! Not that she’s a bad driver or anything, but she distracts all the other passing drivers. :laughing:

I know that I"ll get slaughtered for saying this but as anybody met a “fit one”?

Dazza:
Oh no, the feminists have started ganging up on me… :stuck_out_tongue:

SOUNDS NICE

Suedehead:
I know that I"ll get slaughtered for saying this but as anybody met a “fit one”?

I know where youre coming from but i have seen acouple of fine things at the wheel.

Suedehead:

I did talk to one a lidls thamesmead the other week, but she was spanish, does that count :question:

No disrespect but the few that i have met on my travels seem to be (in my opinion) mouthy cell block “H” types that couldnt tell a dolly knot from a “palm coupling” . . . ooh err!!

Suedehead:
No disrespect but the few that i have met on my travels seem to be (in my opinion) mouthy cell block “H” types that couldnt tell a dolly knot from a “palm coupling” . . . ooh err!!

:smiley:

Saw one today, came out of dock 2 and down walton, black hair, yellow top, ■■■■■■■■, you know the type :smiley:

I wonder why this BORING topic is constantly resurrected :unamused:

then again isnt it about time more men became midwives ■■

I was just about to post pretty much the same thing (should they be called midhusbands though?)

But, having seen a driver, that just happened to be female, reverse a 4 wheeler with an “A” frame trailer on to a dock that I would have trouble in my 17 tonner I have much respect for any member of the fairer ■■■ that joins our profession

Why not have respect in general for any trucker who is doing a good job and not bringing a bad name to the industry?

Wet Milk wrote:
I had to help a lassie out in our yard the other week… she couldn’t put the yellow air line on!

My lass has never asked me to give her a lift pluggin’ the iron in.

Enough said. x

And I had to show a male how to unhook a trailer. Enough said.

Even the best of us could do with a hand once in a while. It is just something that is shouted about if a woman needs help, but a bloke would not think twice about asking a mate to help if he needed a hand - so why should a woman have to think twice about asking for a helping hand if one is needed?
Most truckers will help each other out if required.

All women are equals! Ask my Granny

Hmmmm…Equal to whome■■?

what an emotive subject.

lets get a few facts out the way

there are a lot more male truckers than women truckers…FACT
the average male is stronger than the average female…FACT
the average day in this industry is longer than in an office…FACT
women do the majority of home making/cleaning…FACT (in my house anyway)
women should stay at home and not drive trucks…only kidding

i believe that there are good and bad drivers out there, it doesn’t matter what ■■■ they are.

i was in the navy when they started letting women go to sea, what a sad day it was then. now it is a fact of life that they do it. it does cause a bit of nuisance when you are having “man” type chats about ■■■■■■ conquests, football, drinking and the such like but you just dont do it when they are there (especially if they are one)

it is a bit like trucking, a few years ago there were very few women in the job (from what i saw on the roads), now more and more are getting into it. on my first ever driving job i was shown around the cab by a woman and she was very knowledgeable and helpful. i admire her for this.

women are coming in to this industry and i think it should be encouraged. i am happily married to my beautiful wife Tina and will be until the day i die, but when i am stood in a queue waiting to be spoken to like a piece of crap by someone at an RDC the smell of BO from some drivers is slightly sickening, but the whiff of a nice perfume (and i dont mean truckers that bat for the other side) does brighten your day up. they are always pleasant and normally quite chatty. you do get the occasional russian shot putter that would kill you by looking at you but you get that everywhere.

the only question that does remain is how do they manage to tell the time when on the road without the cooker being with them? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Suedehead:

Well i have pics of a fit one :smiley:

■■■■ !!

Mike-C:

Suedehead:

■■■■ !!

Not the airbags one again is it? :smiley:

ellies dad:

Mike-C:

Suedehead:

■■■■ !!

Not the airbags one again is it? :smiley:

No no!! This is a real one, i’ll tell ya at the weekend :smiley:
I don’t get on too well with female drivers myself. I was talking to a woman trucker the other night at Rugby. Usuall banter, where ya been where ya going that type of stuff. Then i said and here we both are miles away from home, lonley, bored and ■■■■■…and she walked off?! Wierd they are i’ll tell ya.