Lady drivers

Hey

New to this forum, just curious to know are there many lady truckers out there?

If so are you day drivers or trampers?

Do you get a load of stick off your male colleagues?

I’m confident Dipper will be here soon…

that will make sense eventually

I used to drive, but only local work. Due to health issues I had to give it up and I’m now a transport manager who drives only to take vehicles for maintenance (sad face).
To be honest with you, I never had any problems with the male drivers, it was the customers who used to take the mickey and give a bit of stick.
I’ve had things like “oh, you’re driving that? really?” and once when I was waiting in the middle of town to access a site, there were pedestrians crossing the road in front of my truck, and an old chap pushed his way to the front, spread his arms out to hold everyone back while shouting “Get out of the way, lady driver”.
But I’ve never taken any of it to heart, I just laugh it off or say something equally stupid back to them

3 female drivers where I am. Treated and expect to be treated no differently. The only difference between them and the male drivers is that the ladies loo near the transport office has a key for the door. Don’t think anyone bats an eyelid at our place.

Used to be a forkie and then van/7.5 driver, never had any trouble. Plenty of banter, but harmless.

We have a few lady trampers at my place, a great bunch and a match for any man.

As far as stick goes it’s only general friendly banter, but I’m old school and believe ladies should always be treated better than men.

Course the limits of the banter are usually lead by the lady although there’s always one bloke who goes to far.

That said Im the shy sort of bloke so I need a bit of tickling to come out me shell in the real world.

I’m also campaigning for more lady truckers on a daily basis.

The first one I met was Karen or was it Kevin. :blush:
Different thread :wink:

We have a couple at our place no different than any other driver really

nick2008:
The first one I met was Karen or was it Kevin. :blush:
Different thread :wink:

We have a couple at our place no different than any other driver really

Kevin’s or Karen’s ■■ :confused:

Dipper_Dave:
Im the shy sort of bloke so I need a bit of tickling to come out me shell in the real world.

Then you are officially the worlds greatest keyboard warrior :laughing:

We have a couple of lady drivers as do Tesco Avonmouth and all are treated as we’d treat anyone. I must say though it is refreshing to see something that isn’t the standard driver.

We had a transgender at our place, lovely lady and I admired her courage for not only being good at the job but also true to herself.

Thanks for all the replies very comical some of them.

Maybe a career change for me as fed up with what i do now

Ldytruck34:
Thanks for all the replies very comical some of them.

Maybe a career change for me as fed up with what i do now

Saw one recently at a place I worked, she looked as relaxed/hassled as the next man! So Ldytruck34 are you looking for a career change to or from trucking?

Id love one in trucking but since i have a pure auto licence as im unable to do gears (just couldnt get the hang of it ) i very much doubt i could do trucking. I would love to pass my 7.5 ton licence so i could drive a big auto horsebox as i have horses. Wouldnt mind doing animal transportation ive heard eric gillie is big in the horse transport business.

Ldytruck34:
Id love one in trucking but since i have a pure auto licence as im unable to do gears (just couldnt get the hang of it ) i very much doubt i could do trucking. I would love to pass my 7.5 ton licence so i could drive a big auto horsebox as i have horses. Wouldnt mind doing animal transportation ive heard eric gillie is big in the horse transport business.

Depending where you live, you can do your HGV tests in autos now and you might not lose out on much work, especially in class 1 where most units are auto and have been for a few years now (I’ve only come across one company in this area that operates manual tractor units and they’re ancient). The further you get from London, the more likely you are to have to drive manuals as big companies shifted older trucks away because of the Low Emission Zone. Big horse boxes are bigger than 7.5T so you’ll need a cat C licence.

Im north east uk so well out of london.

Its something to think about anyway cheers for advice :smiley:

Every one of them I have met have been true professionals, more so than many of their male counterparts.

Twoninety88:
Every one of them I have met have been true professionals, more so than many of their male counterparts.

Most yes, but I know of at least one example ( she works for a large dairy company) who was a whinging bag, who would play the ‘sexism’ card and open up the waterworks, everytime she didn’t get exactly the cushy little number she wanted. Universally loathed by all, but backed up by the (equality) law and the union.
All the other ladies I’ve come across were like the men, either competent, or useless. Nothing to do with their gender.

I’m all for ladies using all their womanly wilds to get their own way.

I’ve always thought of them as the stronger ■■■ anyway and as trucks now virtually drive themselves I’m hopeful more and more join our profession and enjoy the beauty of the open road, the friendly banter and general peaceful way of life.

Sure there’s bad days, but if you can cope with the stress of traffic the good days make it all worthwhile.

From a selfish point of view the more ladies in trucks greatly improves my odds of parking up for the night and looking across to a vision of beauty rather than the hairy arsed buggers I get most nights.

I’m not talking coitus more just a female to have a laugh and a joke with, someone who can tell me their life story as I’m a great listener, perhaps a special someone to share a glass of wine with on a cold winters eve.

Maybe ships passing in the night, sharing our dreams and aspirations or just 2 wandering souls embracing a chance to get to know each other.
So jump on board ladies the waters warm and you could do a lot worse than a profession behind the wheel of a truck.

Dave reading that I suddenly had the theme tune to Radio 2’s Simon Bates “our tune” playing my head

Ear worm alert …
youtu.be/pBJu8FxmN7c