Lack of Confidence!

Hello Guys

Thought Id ask for your thoughts and opinions :frowning:

I left the forces back in August and have re-trained for the haulage Industry. Got my Class 2, ADR, HIAB, Tacho, CPC etc etc. I was accepted for a HIAB job with Wickes which was my first Interview for 24 years so thought great! I went out on the first day shadowing their experienced driver of three years doing the Job. I realized at the end of the day it wasnā€™t for me! :blush: Edging through Housing estates, bumping phone lines out the way with the crane, swinging loads across parked cars and stopping traffic whilst you do that, admiration for the experienced driver who at times looked under pressure.

The thing is I donā€™t have any experience of daily driving! The handling, the roads. I even booked another lesson with the training company prior to the Wickes job to ensure since passing test I hadnā€™t forgot anything. Which I hadnā€™t, lol.

I noticed a post on here and somebody mentioned Night work. The more I think about it the more it seems appealing? Iā€™m thinking for a start the roads are quiet which enable me to settle into just driving a truck, more thinking time perhaps? Any views and advice would be appreciated as it really is crunch time to start working and earning as I really cant retire :unamused: just yet.

Get in the driving seat. you will be fine. I would advise against night work to start with as its dark and harder to judge the roads. Day driving is good and not as hard as you think. Too much confidence is bad but so is too little and if you had a refresher lesson and it went fine then me thinks you are good to go.

Get on an agency and test the water. I had all your worries a month ago and there really is no need. Take your time and be safe. Always get out the cab and look at your delivery point and make judgements from there. The first day is the hardest but you soon learn :smiley: i am always asking other drivers questions and its been invaluable. See you out there mate :smiley:

DWYNE:
Get in the driving seat. you will be fine. I would advise against night work to start with as its dark and harder to judge the roads. Day driving is good and not as hard as you think. Too much confidence is bad but so is too little and if you had a refresher lesson and it went fine then me thinks you are good to go.

Get on an agency and test the water. I had all your worries a month ago and there really is no need. Take your time and be safe. Always get out the cab and look at your delivery point and make judgements from there. The first day is the hardest but you soon learn :smiley: i am always asking other drivers questions and its been invaluable. See you out there mate :smiley:

You sound like my Mom, ā€œYouā€™ll be fineā€ lol, thanks for the advice Dwyne!

Shears transport are on the industrial estate behind Bournemouth International airport.They have day and pallet night work on double decker trailers.
On the same estate,a firm based in Frome run an over night service.
In Pompey you have Ferrry speed that cover the Channel Islands.
Night work is like Marmite.Love it or hate it
There are many pallet operators in your area.
Less traffic at night.Nobody to ring you.Crank up the tunes on the radio.

This is your Mam talking now

Just get out there & do it

Take your time dont let anyone hurry you dont over think or analyse dont worry if you hold them up while working the crane just smile & say sorry sometimes

Just an idea.How about leaving an advert offering your services to leave it displayed in the truckstop in Portsmouth
With the port nearby do you like doing European work or tip and reload trailers from Europe by just driving in the UK.?

Iā€™m currently a class 2 driver (since september) although just passed class 1 as well.
As the mornings are getting darker and my start times vary I was quite surprised the difference when driving in the dark. You look in the mirrors and there is nothing to see so you have no idea where the kerbs are.
I was much happier when it got just a little bit lighter.

Something to think about - Iā€™m sure with experience the dark will be fine but until then Iā€™ll stick with daylight hours.

Good Luck
Gareth

Every ones been there, 1st day nerves, looking like you donā€™t know a thing, not sure how the other drivers will accept you, worried about making a Balls up !

Pallet companies can be very busy, you will get to know the local area & will be under a bit of pressure to perform/get the dozen drops off/collections & probably do a second run.

Get into the mindset that itā€™s not an 8-4 job & finish, so the quicker you go- the sooner you finish, take your time, strap anything thatā€™s looks like it will fall over & drive like a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  (youā€™re supposed to strap everything) if you keep bringing back damaged goods- you wonā€™t be there very long.

Be friendly with every body, if you act like a knob, no one will offer advice or help, get phone numbers from the other drivers so you can call them if you get any problems, donā€™t just rely on the office (but donā€™t forget that they are there too)

Waste companies can also be busy, but you can only make so many trips in a skip or Rollon to the tip & back in your 9 hours driving. Driving compaction vehicles keeps you out on the road longer with only 1 or 2 trips the the tip a day. In my experience the money can be more than general haulage (but not always)

Household waste will have you driving through tight, car filled streets, but you will get a lot of guidance from the crew. You usually do the same areas over the 5 days so will soon get to know the round.

General long distance is obviously more driving & not usually multi dropping (can be a few drops) starting times may vary (itā€™s nothing like ā€˜Truckersā€™ where the all start & finish at the same time LOL) Can also be tramping, so you will be out for a few days. You can get a lot of sitting around in RDCā€™s & also get stuck on our ā€˜Fantasticā€™ road network (if you canā€™t bypass the jams) so you need a lot of patience.

Read through these forums, thereā€™s lots of advice on drivers hours, EU Time directive, regulations, speed limits, weight limits, time limits, how to strap your load, vehicle checks & lots more (even a joke or two)

Good luck, within 6 months you will be giving advice on here to the next newby.

Thank you for all the replies! So many sound opinions! It may sound daft but when your starting out in a new career, what may not even cross your minds as a seasoned experienced driver, seems like a mountain when you really donā€™t know anything. Sure I passed with a training company, but that company wont, tell you how you use a petrol card when filling up or even where to fill up, the very basics that if youā€™ve never done it before boggle your brain and you over think, :unamused:

What I have done is emailed a few companies that may be able to offer me some work experience with the benefit of shadowing their drivers and gaining the answers to so many questions :laughing:

Any you guys in the Portsmouth Area and want an assistant for a week unpaid of course :unamused: ?

Go multi drop with a food company for a while, as hopefuly you will go out with another driver for a few days to learn the drops. Any aprehension about the driving will vanish driving out of the depot, as you will have other things on your mind.

MickeyG:
Thank you for all the replies! So many sound opinions! It may sound daft but when your starting out in a new career, what may not even cross your minds as a seasoned experienced driver, seems like a mountain when you really donā€™t know anything. Sure I passed with a training company, but that company wont, tell you how you use a petrol card when filling up or even where to fill up, the very basics that if youā€™ve never done it before boggle your brain and you over think, :unamused:

What I have done is emailed a few companies that may be able to offer me some work experience with the benefit of shadowing their drivers and gaining the answers to so many questions :laughing:

Any you guys in the Portsmouth Area and want an assistant for a week unpaid of course :unamused: ?

Just ask other drivers most of them will be more than happy to help you out. Just remember everyone has been in the same boat as you. Good luck

gunner1983:

MickeyG:

Just ask other drivers most of them will be more than happy to help you out. Just remember everyone has been in the same boat as you. Good luck

+1

When I started I didnā€™t even know how to unpack the tail lift much less operate it. A quick ā€œscuse me mateā€ to another driver in the yard is the best way to an answer. We didnā€™t all leave the truck school as gods gift to the road but with time comes the confidence and something that would have gave you sleepless nights before a shift will soon be all in a days work.
As an example I did 12 deliveries into central London on Saturday- something which a year ago I would have probably have bottled out of and gone home sick. even the first time I was given something inside the M25 10 months ago I was bricking it but ultimately built the experience and confidence from getting my head down and doing it.

I think the M25 would be the end of me, :open_mouth: I went for an Interview yesterday and landed myself a job with a good Haulage firm. They offered me a job at the end of the Interview to my surprise! They cant take me on though until start of November so Iā€™ve offered to work unpaid for a week, shadowing their drivers and potential draining them with questions :unamused: The depot manager was happy with that :wink: So win win, I gain some valuable experience shadowing, what I will be doing, so I can hit the ground running when they actually pay me to do it :laughing:

Iā€™ve been in similar situation recentyā€¦ started at 7am so in the pitch dark, lashing rain and had to reverse a tipper lorry Iā€™d never driven before around tightish corners and past other vehicles in the yard to get it out on the road and no-one about to guide me.
I felt confidence slipping BUT took my timeā€¦ got out in the lashing rain to check position etcā€¦ as others have said donā€™t rush and youā€™ll be fine mate.

MickeyG:
I think the M25 would be the end of me, :open_mouth: I went for an Interview yesterday and landed myself a job with a good Haulage firm. They offered me a job at the end of the Interview to my surprise! They cant take me on though until start of November so Iā€™ve offered to work unpaid for a week, shadowing their drivers and potential draining them with questions :unamused: The depot manager was happy with that :wink: So win win, I gain some valuable experience shadowing, what I will be doing, so I can hit the ground running when they actually pay me to do it :laughing:

M25 was the end of me years ago ! Lol !
Better on a bike (you can filter)

Itā€™s all about timing (most of the time) stay off it from around 06.30-09.30 & 16.00 -19.00 ish
& Any bank holiday Friday especially Xmas Eve.
(Now Iā€™ve said that, I bet I get a London this Xmas eve ! )

Worst part IMO is the M40-M4-M3 section & the Dartford Crossing can be a balls ache & of course the roadworks from ā€˜Saffā€™ Mimms to Enfield (10 miles of stupid thin lanes)

I have just had my first day solo and loved it, taking FLTā€™s and batteries from Warrington to Bolton and two drops in Liverpool and over to the Wirral and I never had a clue where the locations where but a bit of help with the sat nav and a look on google earth really helped and it was my easiest day yet.
I have had a few days with a driver in the passenger seat and some very tight reversing with a big rear swing on an three axled beaver tail and now confident to tackle most situationsā€¦lets face it , you have to deal with it when your stuck so best do it calmly and safely.
I have already seen a few drivers ā– ā– ā– ā–  up at distribution places like Great Bear and no one laughed at them, its just life we all balls up some timeā€¦I have just been lucky this week I reckon :blush: (gear fluffs excluded :laughing: )

Go for it matey, you will love it :sunglasses:

Ring TJ Transport get on tippers at night. Starry there and then leave once youā€™re confident. Itā€™s a piece of cake work and they love ex squaddies

Tipper Tom:
Ring TJ Transport get on tippers at night. Starry there and then leave once youā€™re confident. Itā€™s a piece of cake work and they love ex squaddies

Thanks for that, will do. Id already sent my CV to pink skips but will try those guys :laughing: Its amazing how many companies donā€™t actually advertise who they are and that they need drivers. It appears that first point of contact for them is agencies who recruit you then that company offers you a job then they have to pay the recruitment company to buy you out? :confused:

Its Interesting as well that in the two Interviews Iā€™ve been to, Iā€™ve been the smartest dressed :laughing: And they havenā€™t bothered looking at my qualifications just my licences :confused: I hadnā€™t had an Interview for 24 years so maybe that is normal.

It fairly normal that agencies expect drivers to have no qualifications a beyond a steering ticket, other than driving related qualifications such as ADR. I personally favour the idea of approaching haulage firms directly rather than chewing on with agencies. I find I get better results and more permanent work rather than being tossed about by agencies.

There is plenty of work out there if youā€™re prepared look for it which Iā€™m sure u are.

I know TJ struggle to tfill night driving positions because thereā€™s quite a bit of buggering about with shifts but our place pay u for standby if a shift gets canx and Iā€™m sure TJ do as well.

Good luck fella

MickeyG:

Tipper Tom:

Thanks for that, will do. Id already sent my CV to pink skips but will try those guys :laughing: Its amazing how many companies donā€™t actually advertise who they are and that they need drivers. It appears that first point of contact for them is agencies who recruit you then that company offers you a job then they have to pay the recruitment company to buy you out? :confused:

Its Interesting as well that in the two Interviews Iā€™ve been to, Iā€™ve been the smartest dressed :laughing: And they havenā€™t bothered looking at my qualifications just my licences :confused: I hadnā€™t had an Interview for 24 years so maybe that is normal.

I work in recruitment (donā€™t hate me) and youā€™re dead right, most haulage firms donā€™t advertise. There are several reasons, it is expensive, you donā€™t always get a good response (because of the ā€˜shortageā€™) and there are no doubt dozens of agencies crawling all over them on a daily basis touting for business, so agencies are often the easy option.

Just because a firm isnā€™t advertising though, doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re not taking on. If you want to do it directly, Iā€™d suggest you pick the type of work you want (ie tipping, supermarkets, etc), draw a circle on the map where you can realistically start from and identify the firms in that area that suit what you want. Then, ring them allā€¦ ask them if theyā€™re taking on. A lot rely on agencies because they have toā€¦ having said that, some like the flexibility and the ā€˜issuesā€™ of employment being taken away from them, so they might direct you to the agency that they useā€¦ which is a start at least!

Be careful when selecting an agency, look at their client base and make sure youā€™re happy with it. As much of anything will come down to how honest and decent the Consultant is at the agency.