Labour and their four day week

how will haulage get round this if they win the election, ie they win and stop brexit then tell eu their drivers when over here will need to run to our hours ect : : :

It’s not going to be legally enforced under labours plans

will it be just the public sector the as usual

4 On, 4 Off, equals three’n’alf days a week, doesn’t it? Lots of that around already, I thought.
Not exactly frightening.

If Corbyn supposedly thinks that we need the EU for ‘workers rights’ then surely he intends it to be made an EU wide employment law along with an EU wide minimum wage.

The truth is employers will just try to force 5 days work into 4.

Never happen with haulage think off all the tears and tantrums off the drivers as some other driver takes there truck out

Funny how firms are so reluctant to offer us 4x12 hour contracts eh?

Winseer:

Employers maintaining an over supplied labour market,by maximising the utilisation of a minimum amount of employees,is the only logical explanation.

Winseer:

The companies operating 7 days a week would love to operate a 4 on 4 off schedule but unfortunately a lot of their drivers refuse to work the part and full weekends that would be required.

mac12:
Never happen with haulage think off all the tears and tantrums off the drivers as some other driver takes there truck out

That would depend on whether you shared with an ignorant minger with zero manners or social skills, or a decent lad who kept and left ‘your’ motor as he found it, works ok for me on my 3 off.
Don’t know why you’re even discussing this, there is no chance of Corbyn, Abbot,.and the rest of those clowns getting in to ■■■■ up the country in any case. :bulb:

Labour have no chance in winning. If by some fraudulent miracle they do get in then i honestly think the army could perform a military coup as they have the United Kingdoms security as their priority and we all know where Corbyn and his cronies will take us.

robroy:
Don’t know why you’re even discussing this, there is no chance of Corbyn, Abbot,.and the rest of those clowns getting in to [zb] up the country in any case.

It`s true that the Tory clowns are doing a perfectly competent job of ***ing the country up, so no need for a different set to take over.

:wink:

wsws.org/en/articles/2018/0 … e-m15.html

Conor:

Winseer:

The companies operating 7 days a week would love to operate a 4 on 4 off schedule but unfortunately a lot of their drivers refuse to work the part and full weekends that would be required.

That’s not the only way you can do a four day week…

Assuming say, Friday is the busiest day - what’s wrong with say, Tuesday-Friday for one block of workers, and Friday to Monday for the other block?

Everyone is in every friday that way… Variations can be made to suit ANY “busiest day” of course…

I’d JUMP at the chance of a Friday-Monday contract starting around 6 & 8pm… I’m sure there would be no shortage of Tuesday-Friday takers, neither…

Lets be honest most the voters labour are aiming at wont be working anyway, hence the free broadband etc

Going back to my employee days and driving abroad, I got annoyed enpughbat being weekender for 2 days. 3 days even worse. I dont have holidays, goingvaway for pleasure isnt pleasure to me.

albion:
Going back to my employee days and driving abroad, I got annoyed enpughbat being weekender for 2 days. 3 days even worse. I dont have holidays, goingvaway for pleasure isnt pleasure to me.

The devil is in the detail, isn`t it?
4 days work, then park up abroad for the next 3, would be crazy. An average of 4 days taken over 6 months, or a year…different kettle of fish.

More broadly, heres a few figures: [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... _countries](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_annual_labor_hours_in_OECD_countries) The UK works more hours (1676) than Germany (1363) or France (1472) but their economies arent exactly on their knees are they?
Microsoft in Japan experimented with a 4 day week, for same pay, with no productivity loss.
theguardian.com/technology/ … oductivity
Could I drive a truck as far in 4 days as I do in 5?
Maybe not so. But looking at the whole work world through our transport window isnt wise. And a change in other industrial work practices will influence us. Especially if it occurs through legislation, so poor employers cant make up for their bad management by expecting too much from workers.

Trickydick:
Lets be honest most the voters labour are aiming at wont be working anyway, hence the free broadband etc

I’ve yet to see a Non-working person who has decided to negelct ever getting an Iphone, often attached to a broadband internet account already in place

I suggest that “Free Broadband” has no value, even for the non-working - since they almost certainly already have something better in place!

This “Free Childcare” thing didn’t help us out in a similar fashion… I would rather have had my missus topped up with the £1500 spoken of - rather than get bugger all money, and expected to cough up the first £75 per week towards any would-be “child care” with the £1500 spoken off “topping THAT up” only once you’ve taken on that extra regular expense…

F… that. I’m wasn’t going to pay even a subsidized rate to have my kid indoctrinated in one of these places, and brought up as a “latchkey kid”. :angry:

Franglais:

albion:

The devil is in the detail, isn`t it?
4 days work, then park up abroad for the next 3, would be crazy. An average of 4 days taken over 6 months, or a year…different kettle of fish.

More broadly, heres a few figures: [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... _countries](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_annual_labor_hours_in_OECD_countries) The UK works more hours (1676) than Germany (1363) or France (1472) but their economies arent exactly on their knees are they?
Microsoft in Japan experimented with a 4 day week, for same pay, with no productivity loss.
theguardian.com/technology/ … oductivity
Could I drive a truck as far in 4 days as I do in 5?
Maybe not so. But looking at the whole work world through our transport window isnt wise. And a change in other industrial work practices will influence us. Especially if it occurs through legislation, so poor employers cant make up for their bad management by expecting too much from workers.

I suggest that you can drive more on a 4x12 week rather than a 5x9.5 week - hell yes!

ALSO - If you are a salaried 5x9.5 driver - then you’ll oddly be asked to work 12-15 hour shifts “because of the workload” or “heavy traffic” strangely rather often huh?..

If you’re initially planned for longer shifts to START with - there isn’t so much room to “extend one’s shift” - is there?

Plan for 12 - and leave the other 3 hours for getting in any extra legal breaks required, or allowing for being stuck in traffic…

If the worst comes to the worst - you can only do THREE 15 hour shifts, with you being swapped out with a short shift driver on the 4th shift of your regular working week - IF you have that VALUE 4x12 shift that protects you from all KINDS of Firm-related contractual abuse… That’s why they don’t like OFFERING such contracts, of course!!

Thus, even if salaried - if you get roped into extending 3 of your 12 hour shifts to 15 hours - that’s a MAXIMUM of 3x3 extra hours per WEEK you could ever be permitted legally to do… …And an early knock on the last shift of the week - the most useful shift to GET an early knock on - Right?? :bulb:

robroy:

mac12:

That would depend on whether you shared with an ignorant minger with zero manners or social skills, or a decent lad who kept and left ‘your’ motor as he found it, works ok for me on my 3 off.
Don’t know why you’re even discussing this, there is no chance of Corbyn, Abbot,.and the rest of those clowns getting in to [zb] up the country in any case. :bulb:

I do 4on-4off, and share the same truck with the same driver. We both dont smoke, and clean out the truck properly (dash polish, floor clean etc) at the end of our shift. We both keep some gear (cooking etc) in a drawer and locker each, but we can trust each other.