L.E. Jones Ltd. Ruthin

I thought I’d open up this thread for my old mate Dav Jones in North Wales who’s a keen LEJ Fan. I took this one on the A95 nr Grantown-on-Spey in the Scottish Highlands in 2000 when she was ‘newydd spon’ as they say in Ruthin! - 'twas almost a perfect setting until a lovely blue motor entered the scene - grrr! :imp: - Thanks to my mate Neil Jones who is a dab hand with Photoshop and kindly ousted it from the scene! :smiley:

I have a few more LEJ pics and will post them in due course. :slight_smile:

Cheers - Rob.

In contract to my earlier LEJ pic, here’s one of the older LEJ wagons taken at Ruthin in 1998:-

i have X161 , a ex jones unit

globby 480:
i have X161 , a ex jones unit

Cheers globby, do you have pics of X161 to share with us? - R

Here’s one from LEJ’s Gaerwen operation of Pritchard Bros on the Isle of Anglesey which I took one Saturday morning in 1998:-

Any further contributions on this thread would be appreciated.

Cheers - R :slight_smile:

Ruthin 1998:-

A couple from Lymm Truckstop 1998-
With Pritchard Bros, Gaerwen feetnames:-

A newish Actros:-

Back to Ruthin in 1998 again:-

With Pritchard Bros fleetnames parked up at Bodewyddan just off the A55 Expressway in 1998:-

I bleieve D881 BRE (Scania 2 series Cattle truck) is still in the area, owned by a farmer I think. Keep it in pretty good nick. Might not be that exact truck and all stickers have been removed but its certainly very similar.

When did they drop Pritchard Bros name from trucks? I only remember the name on the rear trailer doors, never on trucks.

hammer:
I bleieve D881 BRE (Scania 2 series Cattle truck) is still in the area, owned by a farmer I think. Keep it in pretty good nick. Might not be that exact truck and all stickers have been removed but its certainly very similar.

When did they drop Pritchard Bros name from trucks? I only remember the name on the rear trailer doors, never on trucks.

Thanks for the info hammer, if you have any further info D881BRE, it would be good to hear about it. To answer your question about LEJ’s Pritchard Bros operation, exactly when, I’m not sure but it was within a few years of my visit to the Gaerwen yard in 1998, I’ll try and find out exactly when from a mate.

Cheers - Rob.

Here’s one for hammer :- Pritchard Bros old livery and the LEJ version alongside:-

Taken in Gaerwen yard in spring 1998.

D811 was known as ‘Mam Bach’, for some reason. When I worked for Jones in 2002/3, it was used on local livestock work, but quite often it was hired out to local farmers. As a result it was quickly becoming a bit of a shed. One day I was in the office, and the phone rang - “Hello, I’ve hired Mam Bach and the clutch has gone. Can you sort out some help?” “Sure mate, where are you?” “Portugal” :open_mouth:

By the time I was there, the Pritchard name had disappeared from the trucks, although it was still on the trailer doors. We still had a few Anglesey drivers, but they travelled to the yard at Ruthin to work.

does any one have more photos of the sk mercedes in both companies

JAMIE10:
does any one have more photos of the sk mercedes in both companies

I only have this SK tipper with L E J fleetnames all t’others have Pritchard Bros on them, this was in Ruthin in 1998:-

With Pritchard Bros names in Ruthin yard 1998:-

they are great only dont mind if they are in pricthards names they all look smart

thanks danny

here is two that i found

If my memory serves me right the last trucks in prichard’s livery were the Rreg actros’s when the T reg ones came they were all in LEJ livery the yard in Gaerwen must have closed about 2000 i left there 2001 and it had been closed a while then.

As for D811 i think it is or at least was at some point last year parked up in the yard it spent a couple of years parked up in S Wales somewere after coming off hire it just wasnt collected. Im going to be back home friday so i will ask the question or pop down the yard

Whats the story with the FL10? never seen that (or dont remember it)

got a few pic’s on my hard drive will upload em when i get home

Cheers for your contributions guys they are much appreciated. Looking forwards to seeing your download ste. I don’t know the story on the FL10, I was with a mate one day and we spotted it parked up on a road along the A55 nr Bodelwyddan, so we did a quick diversion to take a few photos, nice to see the interesting rarities of any fleet though eh? :smiley:

the nostalga’s flowing right back then i started there as a apprentice in 97 and there was every thing there used to love working there.

one truck in paticular that sticks out is M378 (fh12) what a nightmare we had with that truck everything from turbo’s blowing up to sump plugs falling out went wrong with it

The N reg mercs were ex Gregory distribution trucks that turned up in the yard one day

F329 the F10 livestock truck was written off when i was still must have been 1999 sometime up by Llandegla when it was put on its side

The appeal was successful, though the entitlements have been slightly cut :open_mouth:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wale … 125102.stm

rapidgem:

hammer:

Thanks for the info hammer, if you have any further info D881BRE, it would be good to hear about it. To answer your question about LEJ’s Pritchard Bros operation, exactly when, I’m not sure but it was within a few years of my visit to the Gaerwen yard in 1998, I’ll try and find out exactly when from a mate.

Cheers - Rob.

D881 BRE is a Stoke on Trent registration,must have started life around here,unless this was the nearest Scania agent at the time?

I am not to sure but that EEP 1st pic there was 2 EEP and AEP i know a few years back my dads mate from harrogate area was driving one of the 2 cause I seen him at Reed boardall at the tacho centre. I then heard a few month later that he lost his job due to downsizing for the life of me I cant think of his name. I know he use to work for Ploughmans of york and possibly Machin (York) aswell.

Did LE Jones load out of Machins abbtwar nr Thirsk what use to be hallal meats?