Known fault on some new ADR drivers' cards

There is a known ‘technical’ fault on some new ADR cards.

This only affects ADR cards issued since October 2012, and does NOT affect the old style paper ADR licences, which will remain in force until their expiry date.

The fault on the new cards is that the issuing Authority shown at item #7 (The DfT) should be written in black.

SQA have realised this and are going to automatically issue new replacement ADR cards for free to those drivers (including me) who have the incorrect cards. The present ADR cards can still be used and are will remain valid for all entitlements showing.

Nobody needs to take any action, the process is automatic.

ADR Card Kemler the Cat.jpg

they’ve got cats doing ADR, they’ll have donkeys next :grimacing: 4 years to go on my paper one

Akuji:
they’ve got cats doing ADR, they’ll have donkeys next :grimacing:

That pic is much better than the pic of me that’s on that card. :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

See, I’m thinking of the children. :wink: :smiley:

Is it to do with ADR having different CATegories ?

dieseldave:

Akuji:
they’ve got cats doing ADR, they’ll have donkeys next :grimacing:

plenty of those around here :grimacing:

I am telling my mummy of you :smiley:

ROG:
Is it to do with ADR having different CATegories ?

Grrrrooooaaaan :frowning:

What “categories” of ADR are there? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like I’ll be due a new card then. Wonder if it’ll be made by an adult this time, i.e. without “Portrait”, “Block”, “Topcoat” & “Front/Back” embossed on the front/back of it. Oh, and a signature that you can see without the use of a magnifying glass.

I notice alot people ignore ADR .

More or less everyday i see people towing bowsers with 2000 litres of diesel up down the road!

Im not 100 per cent but when i did my Adr it was900 litres ,max anything over you must display orange plates etc etc! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

dieseldave:

I’d be careful with comments like that! Had you been in the cast for Corrie they’d have nabbed you by now. . . .

nickb67:
What “categories” of ADR are there? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like I’ll be due a new card then. Wonder if it’ll be made by an adult this time, i.e. without “Portrait”, “Block”, “Topcoat” & “Front/Back” embossed on the front/back of it. Oh, and a signature that you can see without the use of a magnifying glass.

thats to help the issueing dept to work from ,going of the 5 cards I got sent out with errors,like wrong birthdate and no nationality

maestegboy:
Im not 100 per cent but when i did my Adr it was900 litres ,max anything over you must display orange plates etc etc! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hi maestegboy,

You’re not far out there mate, cos for diesel fuel it’s a 1,000 litre limit before ADR applies in full.

In all cases, a bowser should be marked at least with the UN number on both sides +a 100mm X 100mm Class 3 label on both sides.

If there’s more than 1,000 litres of diesel fuel carried in the 2,000 litre bowser, THEN ADR applies in full, in which case the towing vehicle must have an orange plate on the front, and the bowser must have an orange plate on the back. This is also the point at which the driver needs an ADR licence, TWO fire-extinguishers, proper documentation and all the necessary PPE and equipment.

So let me get this right… They are saying there is an error in the printing of some cards where two words are printed in blue instead of black. They then go on to say such cards are still fully valid but they are going to send out replacement cards…

WHY ?

iDriver:
So let me get this right… They are saying there is an error in the printing of some cards where two words are printed in blue instead of black. They then go on to say such cards are still fully valid but they are going to send out replacement cards…

WHY ?

Hi idriver,

I’ve no idea of exactly why, but what does it matter?

I can only guess at why, but my guess is that the blueish/greenish writing puts the UK in technical breach of ADR’s requirements for the format of the new ADR driver card for the reason that…

ADR 2013 8.2.2.8.3 The certificate shall have the layout of the model shown in 8.2.2.8.5. Its dimensions shall be in accordance with ISO 7810:2003 ID-1 and it shall be made of plastic. The colour shall be white with black lettering. It shall include an additional security feature such as a hologram, UV printing or guilloche patterns.

There seems to be no scope for showing the issuing authority in any other colour than black.

IMHO, it makes no difference, because you’ll get a new card for free because it’s their (SQA’s) ■■■■-up.

Only had mine a week or so and yes the Department for Transport is in green but so is the GB roundal at the top, should that be black as well?

dave19544:
Only had mine a week or so and yes the Department for Transport is in green but so is the GB roundal at the top, should that be black as well?

Hi dave19544,

According to the letter of the law, my guess is that the GB sign should also be in black, but being completely ■■■■ about it, maybe the roundel doesn’t count as “lettering.” Whatever way up, the replacements are free, so they’d best get it right on the second time around otherwise it’s going to cost them another fortune to re-issue the re-issued cards all over again. :grimacing:

They’ll get it right in the end though!! :smiley:

I’ve just had a proper look at my recently issued ADR card.

It has the issue described by Dave in the OP. It also has two other issues.

Firstly my date of birth is wrong.

Secondly, the signature box doesn’t have my signature in it. Instead it has, very faintly written, the words “Fake Signature”. I’ve attached a scan of the card which just about shows it.

So what should I do about that?!?

Paul

repton:
I’ve just had a proper look at my recently issued ADR card.

It has the issue described by Dave in the OP. It also has two other issues.

Firstly my date of birth is wrong.

Secondly, the signature box doesn’t have my signature in it. Instead it has, very faintly written, the words “Fake Signature”. I’ve attached a scan of the card which just about shows it.

So what should I do about that?!?

Paul

Hi Paul,

You seem to have a duff ADR card.

AFAIK, the procedure is that you contact the ADR provider, because they have your details.

I’m told that SQA don’t have anything like a ‘driver helpline,’ and that’s the reason I’ve been given for the need to contact the original ADR provider. The provider can search for you by name, or by your unique candidate number shown at item #1 on the front face of your card.

In the early days of the photo-card (October 2012) there were some niggly issues with signatures because some candidates didn’t lean heavily enough, or the ink wasn’t thick and black enough on the photo-form that you filled in on day #1 of your course thereby making it difficult for the scanner to get a good enough image.

The system has been tweaked lately, and unacceptable photo-forms are being returned to the ADR provider to get the candidates to do another form… with great delays to the eventual issue of the card.

dieseldave:
You seem to have a duff ADR card.

It certainly looks like that. Thankfully nobody important who has looked at it has yet spotted that - I managed to load fertiliser today and he didn’t turn me away…

dieseldave:
AFAIK, the procedure is that you contact the ADR provider, because they have your details.

I shall do that and see what he says.

Paul

You can get a replacement ADR photocard by printing off & filling in this form sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/rep … t_form.pdf

Make sure you use a thick black pen to do your signature inside the box. You may need your ADR candidate no. from your training provider.

You will also need £10 for the replacement.