King Of The Road

Can anyone remember some vehicles in the 60s that had “KING OF THE ROAD” painted in large red and white lettering on their front bumpers?

I seem to remember, struggling along the Doncaster by-pass at about 45mph, (no speed limit on the A1M then) only to be passed by these wagons going at a huge speed of at least 55mph.

I cant remember the make or the owners name, just the red and white lettering in my mirrors.

Here’s the L I N K to P&S’s Macks…

Thats exactly the ones Sheeter. Looking at that link brought back a few memories. Thanks.

If you could see the under powered sheds that we were driving at the time you could only dream of having a go in something with some grunt in it. :smiley:
Pity about them Tri-Lex wheels tho.

I used to drive dva79c with p&s transport in the late sixties, they were away ahead of the times.all the stories you hear are true,but they could not live with the modern trucks now,I am eighty now so I might be the last man standing,it was a pleasure and honour to have worked with legends

There are tales about these P & S Macks on other threads and fair enough they were able to out perform many of the under powered British marques but couldn’t and didn’t out perform the Brady 680 Powerplus Octopus and trailer I was mate on in the mid late 60’s, I’m 70 now and there is only one other Lad who lives in Barrow ( a teeny bit older than me :wink: ) who would confirm what I am saying. We ■■■■■■ all over two of P & S’s Macks on A74 going to Glasgow one day, and we’d given them “start” from Rose Bank café at Gretna :unamused: and I reckon we had more weight on than either of them. One other occasion comes to mind and that was on the M6 at Wigan running North and again it was “bye bye” to the Mack and we were fully freighted again. I recall seeing one or two of them parked in Sandes Avenue in Kendal when Shap was closed once due to the snow. Cheers Dennis. PS ( sorry for the Pun!) My mate Eric Postlethwaite RIP the Driver reckoned the Macks were all “wind and pish” :wink:

A few years ago I attended the Funeral of a retired Driver of mine the late Jim Varney and the service was held in the little Chapel at the cemetery in Kendal. Guess what his wife had asked to be played on a loop as background music------ Roger Millers-- King of the Road ! and Jim really had been King of The Road all his life, go anywhere at any time and could load anything ! One of the “old school” and I was privileged to have employed him for 25 years even beyond his retirement age. He also was our un-official Chauffer when either I or both Anne and I had to attend functions hic! hic! but he also took me to a few Premiership matches at Blackburn and also RL matches at Wigan but he always sat with us and was made welcome in the hospitality boxes, he’d never had “knosh” like it he used to tell me ! Cheers Dennis.

Joepipe3:
I used to drive dva79c with p&s transport in the late sixties, they were away ahead of the times.all the stories you hear are true,but they could not live with the modern trucks now,I am eighty now so I might be the last man standing,it was a pleasure and honour to have worked with legends

Hello Joepipe3, a couple of photos for you, one a sister motor to your old steed, I remember the Macks from my time running between Cowley and Scotland. Enjoy your memories and retirement.
Oily

Joepipe3 , the last picture there is the one my mate did . At Dorset steam fair by the look.
Jim

Brady’s were high geared on the flat. They could go BUT pound for pound no ,what gear did they go round Clifton? We had to brake, it takes a Mack to pass a Mack. Joepipe

Joepipe3:
Brady’s were high geared on the flat. They could go BUT pound for pound no ,what gear did they go round Clifton? We had to brake, it takes a Mack to pass a Mack. Joepipe

Well put it this way JP3, the Octopus was faster than those Macks and it could out pull them as well. As for having to brake to round a corner, well the Driver I was on with used “read” the road well ahead and hardly needed to check the speed when a corner appeared. As the Octopus only had 6 wheel braking and only the back axle on the trailer was braked the whole outfit wasn’t over endowed with “anchors” so to speak, but we never came to grief ! Cheers Bewick.

Happy new year ,next year ask Santa for a road map and check out Clifton ,you must have missed it as with most trailer boys you would be asleep. Joepipe

My last text was not sent,I was at my dinner and was thinking it was not appropriate, but when I went back to cancel it had gone

Joepipe3:
Happy new year ,next year ask Santa for a road map and check out Clifton ,you must have missed it as with most trailer boys you would be asleep. Joepipe

Of course I know where the corner on the A6 is at Clifton moor :unamused: :wink:

People who drove those supper leyland octopus lorries must very lucky and proud to have spent some time in such a wonderful bit of kit,the American navy also had the same opinion as they were buying them straight of the production line ,they said that they made fantastic anchors!

Oh no Denzils superior child hood experience has been challenged by an older man :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing:

Where is “CF” when you need him :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Who’s that ■■■■ ? :open_mouth: :wink:

Stick thee head back in, it looks like a cattle truck? :confused: :laughing:

Pete.