KFC Halal HFA Certificates

I just cannot accept this major change, it is a bridge too far

Stop me eating bacon and pork on health grounds fine, but not some Arabic political correctness.

I am a bit of a rebel me and ate a big roast dinner instead of fish on God Bothering Friday

I wonder why!!! Theres more of them in this country than anything else now!! East London’s Full of em’
Absolute Madness!!! :unamused: :unamused:

I noticed on KFCs list that the one in Northampton is now listed as halal - Ive thought about taking the unit there for a bite to eat but if its going halal I wont bother… :unamused:
I’ll just stick to taking the unit to McDonalds instead, and give the boyracers something to talk about :stuck_out_tongue:

I have noticed that more and more KFC’s are now run by asians, I wonder if that’s why they turning ton HALLAL

Slitting an animal’s throat whilst reciting verses from a centuries old book appears to me to be a bit of an anachronism in the 21st century.

Unmarried men in dresses fiddling with kiddies ain’t cricket either :imp:

Bit of a weird bloke, this Supreme Being, to allow all this carry on, don’t you think?

It is the fact that KFC and Macdonalds are pandering to the wishes of the PC Brigade and the dogooders again.

I don’t have a problem with Halal or Kosher as both are just another word for permitted or allowed ingredients. Dozens of times I have picked a Rabbi up from the railway station before connecting a tanker up to load cooking oil or having to have a special cleaning certificate to load kosher glycerine.

Dhabiha is the act of cutting an animals throat to kill it instantly. I would prefer that too, rather than let it die a painful slow death with life ebbing away on a slaughter house floor.

Any animal that has been strangled, beaten (to death), killed by a fall, gored (to death), savaged by a beast of prey would not be allowed in a Halal diet, it isn’t in mine either.

Ok so KFC are going to trial halal meat in some outlets, after receiving numerous requests from consumers. Not demands from Islamic groups as a lot of right wing media is going to want you to believe, but Im getting ahead of myself, so lets leave Islamic matters aside for one moment and take a look at KFC.

KFC is an American in origin global brand, who already sell halal products in many muslim countries worldwide, my own country of residence Malaysia being one of them. In regard to the taste I have to say, it tastes like chicken.

So lets consider the the cruelty issues that will no doubt be raised, KFC already has a dubious track record regarding animal welfare, just check out what P.E.T.A. has to say on that subject.

Ok lets get back to Islam, a lot of people want you to believe that muslims are threatening your very existence and that your oh so British way of life is doomed,but who is going to be selling the halal chicken, will it be muslims or a huge American global brand.

Now in my opinion KFC have pulled of a major stroke of genius here,not only have KFC found a way to sell more product,they will also be able to stoke the flames of racial discontent and give all those right wing groups even more ammuntion to hate minorties and gain support,whilst KFC regains the moral high ground.

So in closing whilst the media continue to tell you to look to the east to see who is to blame for the erosion of British life, uncle Sam has changed the shape of British high streets forever with fast food outlets and chain stores and has now brought halal meat to your very own England.
And everybody will blame the muslims, genius sheer genius.

TBH I thought KFC had been doing it for a while, I could have sworn a mate on facebook had said he could eat it a while back :confused:

oatcake1967:
Ok so KFC are going to trial halal meat in some outlets, after receiving numerous requests from consumers. Not demands from Islamic groups as a lot of right wing media is going to want you to believe, but Im getting ahead of myself, so lets leave Islamic matters aside for one moment and take a look at KFC.

KFC is an American in origin global brand, who already sell halal products in many muslim countries worldwide, my own country of residence Malaysia being one of them. In regard to the taste I have to say, it tastes like chicken.

So lets consider the the cruelty issues that will no doubt be raised, KFC already has a dubious track record regarding animal welfare, just check out what P.E.T.A. has to say on that subject.

Ok lets get back to Islam, a lot of people want you to believe that muslims are threatening your very existence and that your oh so British way of life is doomed,but who is going to be selling the halal chicken, will it be muslims or a huge American global brand.

Now in my opinion KFC have pulled of a major stroke of genius here,not only have KFC found a way to sell more product,they will also be able to stoke the flames of racial discontent and give all those right wing groups even more ammuntion to hate minorties and gain support,whilst KFC regains the moral high ground.

So in closing whilst the media continue to tell you to look to the east to see who is to blame for the erosion of British life, uncle Sam has changed the shape of British high streets forever with fast food outlets and chain stores and has now brought halal meat to your very own England.

Well said…

oatcake1967:
In regard to the taste I have to say, it tastes like chicken.

Doesn’t everything. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

oatcake1967:

None of which explains why I cannot get a Chicken Cheese and Bacon Double Down in my local store.

None of which explains why I cannot get a Chicken Cheese and Bacon Double Down in my local store.

[/quote]
You will still be able to get your bacon fix at the other outlets in Derby, they are only offering halal service at one. The more sinister side of it is some people deep down will harbour ill will towards muslims, because they are not serving pork, but they will still be selling chicken. I dont want to come off as a conspiracy theory nut, but corprate America spends billions of dollars to influence public opinion. Im not saying you will be given to ill feelings towards muslims, but a lot of people will.

Wheel Nut:
I just cannot accept this major change, it is a bridge too far

Stop me eating bacon and pork on health grounds fine, but not some Arabic political correctness.

I am a bit of a rebel me and ate a big roast dinner instead of fish on God Bothering Friday

kenno78:
BBCode

kenno78:
I wonder why!!! Theres more of them in this country than anything else now!! East London’s Full of em’
Absolute Madness!!! :unamused: :unamused:

See its working already, subliminal suggestion, and they will still make money.
Arabic political correctness, where did you get that soundbite from.
What about corporate America feeds you habit forming junk food,and increases racial tension,whilst futhering christian outrage against Islam.

By the way, hope your hip gets better soon.

It is only the fact that I feel it is discrimination. I cannot bank easily in an Islamic bank. I cannot eat pork or visit a mosque. But a minority can. It is still a Christian Country although Derby is very cosmopolitan in its religions, cultures and beliefs. I had the same issues when a large company decided to use animal products in chocolate manufacture. I aint no vegetarian, but my choice to eat what I like should be my choice. The vegetarian chocoholics got the decision reversed. I don’t want bacon made from beef. I don’t want sausages made from lamb.

When my local delicatessen in France closed, it was replaced by a fast-food outlet selling halal fried chicken. When my local kosher butcher closed, it was replaced by a halal butcher. In my local supermarket, there is now a well-stocked halal section. Last week, I received a leaflet proposing Islamic banking services. Suddenly it seems halal has not only become fashionable but big business.

Halal fast food certainly sells. For a start, in many parts of Europe the late night staple is the kebab. That it is halal hardly matters to non-Muslim partygoers who stumble out of nightclubs hungry for a meaty sandwich in the early hours. It’s a noteworthy trend that extends beyond the humble kebab: Halal food is popular with both Muslims and non-Muslims.

But the main market is clearly Muslims eager to eat in line with their religious precepts. And a big market it is. There are 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide. In Europe alone, there are 18 million Muslim consumers with an estimated market value of $2.63 billion per annum according to Halal Journal.

That’s an attractive and growing market that the big multinationals have been quick to cash on. Nestle was among the first to identify the potential. It started selling halal versions of their most popular products such as kit-kat chocolate in the 1980s. Halal products now account for five percent of Nestle’s annual sales, or 5.3 billion Swiss francs. Eighty-five of their factories have halal– certified production lines and of these 20 are in Europe. More important, it is a fast-growing and highly profitable sector. Nestle reports that its latest marketing campaign for halal products led to 50 percent annual growth and double-digit profitability.

Several fast-food chains have been quietly incorporating halal food onto their menus or sourcing halal meat and chicken. KFC, for instance, uses halal chicken. Others have done so not so quietly. There was uproar last year when Dominoes Pizza turned one of its outlets in Birmingham halal. Similarly in France last month, even politicians joined the outcry when Quick – a Belgo-French hamburger chain similar to McDonald’s – turned eight of its outlets into halal restaurants. It was discrimination, they argued. It is one thing to sell halal food, it is another to deprive non-Muslims of pork products.

The argument is not without merit. Surely locals who want to have bacon on their burgers should be able to do so, just as Muslims who would like their burgers made of halal beef and served with turkey bacon instead of pork should also be able to get what they want. Except that it doesn’t quite work that way. Adding a couple of halal items on the menu is not as successful as going halal. The first may attract one or two customers who fancy turkey bacon on their burgers. The second attracts a whole segment of society once they know all the food being served conforms to their religious requirements, not only because it is pork-free but because the restaurant has gone all out and installed procedures to ensure that Muslim hygiene standards have been maintained in the entire production line. And it works. It is rumored that Quick saw a 30 percent increase in sales in the eight stores that went halal.

The key is segmentation. To increase sales, targeting a particular sector of the market is textbook stuff. When Muslim consumers make up such a dynamic, increasingly wealthy and culturally visible segment of the consumer market, it makes sense to market products just for them. Whereas it used to be just small independent butchers selling halal meat and chicken, it has now become much more developed and highly profitable.

What surprises me most about the halal business is how it has expanded beyond the obvious sectors of halal meat and food. There are now halal cosmetics, halal vitamin pills, halal financial products, halal hotels and resorts. It is fast becoming a brand. Rather than call a hotel Muslim-friendly because it does not serve alcohol, it is branded as halal, a word I would once only have used that way about meat or food.

The halal business has become highly sophisticated. In Malaysia, there are Halal Parks, described by the Malaysian Halal Industry Development Corporation as “communities of halal-oriented businesses built on common property where they are provided infrastructure and service support.” Malaysia is building 20 such parks. And in June this year Malaysia will also host the 5th World Halal Forum in Kuala Lumpur. Last year, more than 900 participants attended the event, from more than 47 countries. One of the key questions that will be addressed is the issue of creating an international halal standard.

Going halal is the next big thing and it’s clearly an encouraging trend. However, as it stands a hefty 90 percent of the global halal market is controlled by multinationals such as the food giants Nestle, fast food outlets like KFC, or supermarket chains such as Carrefour. The halal bandwagon is out there and going fast, but Muslims aren’t running it.

*Published in the Saudi-based ARAB NEWS on April 4, 2010.

Wheelnut what I am trying to point out is KFCs decision to trial halal food in the U.K. is not as a result of pressure from muslims, it is corporate America that is putting halal food into mainstream food outlets.
In the article you posted,most of what I said was backed up by the writer of it, including the part about muslims not being responsible for the sale of halal products.

I believe there is an upcoming election soon in the U.K. is it to much of a stretch to think that America would like to stir up some right wing support in the U.K. for its flagging foreign policy.
Have you seen the comments on facebook, even if KFC did not forsee the strength of opposition to its move to supply halal food (which I doubt), then you have to consider the fact that the backlash will be directed at muslims and all the profit will go to KFC.

Islamic banks are for muslims because making profit from money transactions is haram (forbidden), there are many types of banking in the world that we are excluded from, but I can still use my card in any ATM in any bank in Malaysia.

Pork,alcohol and gambling is available in Malaysia a visit to a mosque is a pleasant experience and muslims dont scream infidel at me as I walk by,western media just want to ramp up fear and mistrust so that thier political allies can be elected and giant corporations with christian leanings can continue to appear to be morally superiour, whilst trading in halal products. None of which the muslims demanded.

[ZB] that looks absolutly rank. I can feel myself retching at the though of eatin that [ZB]

oatcake1967:
Wheelnut what I am trying to point out is KFCs decision to trial halal food in the U.K. is not as a result of pressure from muslims, it is corporate America that is putting halal food into mainstream food outlets.
In the article you posted,most of what I said was backed up by the writer of it, including the part about muslims not being responsible for the sale of halal products.

Oh I don’t doubt the reasons behind the KFC decision, what I am still against is the fact that my choices have been eroded through it. I lived in a reasonably equally split religion country during the terror of 9/11 and have seen the media frenzy trying to stir up racial hatred. The strict Muslim refused to drink alcohol but many realised the benefit of it, either by working in the brewery, transporting it or supplying it, especially when they realised that the profits I made from selling it actually fed their extended families, paid for fuel for the boats & cars and allowed us to live in comfort while giving them a good wage in one of the worlds 25 poorest countries.

The KFC trial prevents me eating something freely available in my own country. Subway on the other hand will sell me a bacon or pork sub. Subway is Halal too. I just double checked this with a Subway area manager in Derby who is sat next to me as I type this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you mean, that subway has halal branches with no pork, or that they have halal branches and serve pork. I would be very interested in how thats done. I don,t think the halal cert people here would let me get away with that here in my cafe :laughing:

oatcake1967:

I believe there is an upcoming election soon in the U.K. is it to much of a stretch to think that America would like to stir up some right wing support in the U.K. for its flagging foreign policy.
Have you seen the comments on facebook, even if KFC did not forsee the strength of opposition to its move to supply halal food (which I doubt), then you have to consider the fact that the backlash will be directed at muslims and all the profit will go to KFC.

Islamic banks are for muslims because making profit from money transactions is haram (forbidden), there are many types of banking in the world that we are excluded from, but I can still use my card in any ATM in any bank in Malaysia.

Pork,alcohol and gambling is available in Malaysia a visit to a mosque is a pleasant experience and muslims dont scream infidel at me as I walk by,western media just want to ramp up fear and mistrust so that thier political allies can be elected and giant corporations with christian leanings can continue to appear to be morally superiour, whilst trading in halal products. None of which the muslims demanded.

You’ve got to remember, that most British lorrydrivers are tabloid readers and are brainwashed into the capitalist ways.
They will argue black is white because they believe all Muslims are potential suicide bombers, because the Sun the star or the sport say they are.

Most conversations I hear in truckstops or RDC’s are muslim this and ■■■■ that, usually just after they have finished reading one of the above comics.

Why can’t westerners just accept that Muslims are here to stay, they have been here for a long time, it’s only recently since 9/11 and Bin Laden that they are at the forefront of media attention.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
You’ve got to remember, that most British lorrydrivers are tabloid readers and are brainwashed into the capitalist ways.
They will argue black is white because they believe all Muslims are potential suicide bombers, because the Sun the star or the sport say they are.

Most conversations I hear in truckstops or RDC’s are muslim this and [zb] that, usually just after they have finished reading one of the above comics.

Why can’t westerners just accept that Muslims are here to stay, they have been here for a long time, it’s only recently since 9/11 and Bin Laden that they are at the forefront of media attention.

Hi Okey,
I read your post earlier and was going to reply,but decided to go for dinner first. On my trips to the U.K. I have encountered the casual racism that you refer to and my own feelings when I hear it are of shame and disgust.

Anyway back to my dinner,just down the road from me is a muslim resturant where I often go for the exellent tandori chicken, I had only been inside for 2 minutes when a family of Malays invited me to join them, there was Dad Mum and 3 kids and Grandad.

I introduced myself and they did likewise by shaking hands and then placing your hand briefly on your heart, the kids take your hand in both of theirs and touch their forehead to your hand and step back and place their hand on their heart.

I ordered my food and they insisted that I join them with the dishes they were eating,they constantly asked concerned questions, like does everyone in U.K. have enough to eat? (food is a popular subject here) and is family life good for everyone?

Then we discussed how Malaysia was a colony and they had nothing but praise for the infrastructure that was left behind, this took us on to British music which they love here, TV also, remember Mind your language, everybody here loves that.

After we had finished eating and chatting, the dad wanted to pay for my meal, but Im used to this here and thanked him but insisted I would pay for myself.

So now Im back at home and posting this and wondering what those drivers would make of me,would I be a zb lover or a traitor to my race. Its such a shame that people believe so much of what the media tells them.
Its not really a rant Im to chilled out for that,but it is over. Cheers