Kent lorry parking ban to be permanent: Consultation

Kent County Council is intending to make the current Lorry parking ban which is enforced by wheel clamping and a £185 release fee, a permanent feature for all goods vehicles over 5tonnes. This extends countywide with extremely limited exceptions.

Drivers who have legitimately stopped for a 45minute break, and so are exempt, are being harassed by the clampers. The same has been happening to those whose vehicle has developed mechanical trouble.

KCC is required to consult interested parties to extend the ban permanently although the ban was originally introduced without one. Whatever one thinks of the RHA and Logistics UK they are in the process of fighting the legality of the current action based upon this initial lack of consultation.

This proposal must affect significant numbers of T’Net members. Below is a link to the Public Consultation . As Lorry drivers if you or your company delivers to or collects from Kent then YOU have the right to reply to this, - as does your company, it is not limited to Kent residents. You just submit your name, email address and your comments.

As one can imagine there will be large numbers of responses from Kent residents in favour of the proposal. As those directly affected physically and more than likely financially, we need to have our objections recorded. While there is naturally scepticism about that, with a view that the decision has already been made, the replies actually have to be tabulated into themes of argument and listed as a percentage for each category of comment.

Don’t think this will affect you? as a muckaway driver no, but if this proposal goes ahead what is to stop YOUR council following? it would be a very popular policy politically with the local electorate and raises significant revenue.

There is not a lot that can be said about international journeys but domestic haulage is a totally different matter. KCC’s position is that: “Drivers should plan their journeys to avoid the need to park in Kent. Drivers should arrange or adjust booking times so that they do not need to take a break in Kent. Drivers should book overnight rest parking in advance”.

So please, if you feel that you or your company could be affected, submit your opinion to the consultation. The arguments most likely to hold weight include:

1. KCC’s failure over decades to provide adequate off road parking and rest facilities for Lorries and their drivers in multiple locations.

2. KCC’s historic and current failure to require industrial development planning conditions to require lorry parking and driver facilities on a scale relevant to the likely number of visiting vehicles to be a condition for approval.

3. KCC’s failure over decades to prevent otherwise suitable sites for Lorry parking and facilities being sold off for more financially lucrative housing or industrial development.

4. KCC’s failure to understand and take account of the reality of road haulage and specifically that unforeseen delays occur, sometimes for many hours, during deliveries or collections to premises in Kent, which result in drivers running out of Duty time and requiring to park for overnight rest almost immediately.

5. KCC’s failure to take due account that the inadequate facilities which do exist rapidly become full up, leaving those whose DUTY time will expire very shortly with no alternative but to park in laybys, even though they may have adequate driving time left.

6. KCC’s failure to take fully into account the reality of the drivers’ hours regulations and specifically that the driver card will record contraventions of the regulations. Delays at premises and the subsequent requirement by KCC to drive out of Kent to park because all facilities are full is not a valid defence to such a contravention.

7. KCC’s failure to take into account that having reached the adjoining Counties in circumstances which just allow the driver duty or driving time, the situation regarding adequate facilities for parking, toilets and refreshment is no different to that in Kent, and that those adjoining facilities which do exist are equally likely to be full up.

:sunglasses: KCC’s reaction to the pre xmas closure of the French border was a failure of its duty of care towards drivers in a situation which was easily predictable and an eventuality for which a competent authority should have been aware, given the decades of experience which KCC has had regarding issues with channel crossing delays. That evidence alone brings into question KCC’s proven ability or right to make decisions which affect drivers’ welfare.

kccconsultations.inconsult.uk/c … DQdf8SoSSQ

Please no comments here about cutting off clamps (illegal), confronting clampers (inciting potential violence and they are mob handed), or refusing to deliver to Kent (pointless unless it is a Company refusing or imposing a punitive premium on rates)

Edit: Mods I did not select an emogie and have been unable to delete it. It does not appear in my original I see the figure eight and a close brackets.

Just read the thread title…
Now there’s a ■■■■ surprise eh?
Any council in Kent or Essex…Bunch of absolute ■■■■ s ! :imp:

A county synonymous with trucks due to it’s position near the Continent.
It should be a matter of course and routine that adequate parking facilities should be provided…end of.
It could only happen (and be tolerated) in this cluster ■■■■ of an industry. :smiling_imp:

It a bit like building a bloody great shopping centre complex,.without a car park or a bus service…what tf do you do?

Well said Robroy, ignorant Councillors grind my gears fuelling anti lorry brigades then use the same old phrases such as menacing, thundering and dangerous juggernaut or the old favourite of rogue driver in media reports .
Pamplona in Spain has a truck city which is long way away from the city , on this site is everything you need in relation to road haulage from Customs agencies, tyre firms , mechanics, bars and cafes and knowing the Spanish probably a few places to get your leg over on a lay over !
Even a hotel with driver discount .

I’d be inclined to highlight the impact on jobs. As this is probably the most emotive topic with any politician.
Kent has many transport hubs serving supermarkets. These hubs are staffed predominantly by local residents (aka voters). If their jobs were to go, due to the un sustainability as any fines may be passed on to the customer, they may have a different perspective on it. :sunglasses:

Apart from the obvious, isn`t this a failure by central government?

No one smaller council, be it parish, town, city, or county, will actually want a truck park, but they are necessary. It is up to central gov to enforce what is good for the majority in spite of local objection.

Tarmaceater:
Well said Robroy, ignorant Councillors grind my gears fuelling anti lorry brigades then use the same old phrases such as menacing, thundering and dangerous juggernaut or the old favourite of rogue driver in media reports .
Pamplona in Spain has a truck city which is long way away from the city , on this site is everything you need in relation to road haulage from Customs agencies, tyre firms , mechanics, bars and cafes and knowing the Spanish probably a few places to get your leg over on a lay over !

The general idea of Ashford worked well, it just wasn’t big enough for the amount of traffic. They became greedy and it became full of parked lorries with empty bars and restaurants.

Dover Harbour Board and Eurotunnel are paying huge amounts of business rates to Kent County Council and taxes to HM Government, the tax collectors can not act like three year olds and say its all mine, learn to share, that means giving something back to the companies generating the business. Lorry Parks, Security and Enforcement.

I cant see this being permanent.The big boys will threaten to close warehouses in Kent .There is a legal loophole .They implemented it without a public consultation.

Every council in England,will be following this,if it gets approved the rest will follow. Just as they are with LEZ zones.

Three were clamped the other evening, two on the roundabout over the A229 and one outside the scania dealer, all EE motors.

There needs to be some sort of messsge sent out to highlight and publicise this, a display of protest, maybe starting with a convoy type blockade of the county, like the old fuel protests., preferably followed by some kind of boycott…which won’t happen. :unamused:

Hauliers should not just lie down and take this crap, basically it is just WRONG.
A parking place for trucks is an absolute necessity, for drivers to keep in line with the LAW , not something that councils (and local MPs :unamused: ) have an option to just ignore, because… ‘‘they don’t like the idea’’. :imp:

Perhaps we…

Should be turning all the shopping centres like Lakeside (I can’t think of any in Kent but I’m sure there are similar monuments to retail therapy and coffee shops) into truck stops/customs points/service centres?

Sooner rather than later, the shopping centre itself will become obsolete.

Excellent article from CAV551 well written and easy to understand. Having taken a dump in far too many plastic bags over a 17 year period of tramping in my driving career and not proud of it due to inadequate facilities, I agree with KCC consultation about making LGV ban permanent. As for the RHA fighting the ban, says it all. In this day and age driver’s should have 1st class facilities for parking away from the main carriageway and good food and wash facilities etc. Take the French Aires, many are 1st class even if not all most have toilets, wash basin, drinking water taps and many have chemical dump points. Change is coming like it or not, with so many electric cars that need charging points Aires need to be built. Drivers should support the Ban in my view.

But the plan is purely to ban parking, no mention of providing alternative facilities.

“Drivers should plan their journeys to avoid the need to park in Kent. Drivers should arrange or adjust booking times so that they do not need to take a break in Kent. Drivers should book overnight rest parking in advance”.

This quote alone sums the nicely that those making the rules havent the faintest idea whatsoever about how things work in the real world and not just on paper.
Very sneaky of them though, because now whenever any nimby reads objection anywhere, they can parrot this back and do the councils bidding for them

Nhs workers don’t get parking provided and they are helping keep people alive with covid, and if parking is available they have to pay for it. So why would they provide free parking for trucks ? Everything in the Uk has a price on it, nothing is free.

Hateful horrible place. It’s the worst place in all of Europe to drive a truck in my opinion, was before this stupidity, runs away with that title now. Sorry if you’re from there, you should probably move. The sale of a semi detached house in Kent would buy you a farm in Wales or Scotland! Or a garden shed by the sea in Cornwall and let’s face it I’d rather live in a garden shed in Cornwall than a palatial house in Kent :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

Tarmaceater:

The general idea of Ashford worked well, it just wasn’t big enough for the amount of traffic. They became greedy and it became full of parked lorries with empty bars and restaurants.

Dover Harbour Board and Eurotunnel are paying huge amounts of business rates to Kent County Council and taxes to HM Government, the tax collectors can not act like three year olds and say its all mine, learn to share, that means giving something back to the companies generating the business. Lorry Parks, Security and Enforcement.

Kent must be one of the busiest transit counties and ferry crossings on earth and it is absolutely insane that they have so little parking. Ashford not big enough, Maidstone Services with truck parking the size of a postage stamp and the only other services on a different motorway entirely so going to a second if the first is full is just hassle. Meanwhile Calais, just Calais not Nord Pas De Calais has several huge truckstops that dwarf Ashford and aren’t even in the same league when it comes to security. No one parks in a s**ty lay-by in Kent Because they want to, but because the insanely unpredictable Dover/Folkestone - Calais crossing more often that not totally fks your hours up. But hey, typical UK/Kent, ban first think about it later

Odd days:
Nhs workers don’t get parking provided and they are helping keep people alive with covid, and if parking is available they have to pay for it. So why would they provide free parking for trucks ? Everything in the Uk has a price on it, nothing is free.

But they don’t get banned from parking outside the hospital do they? :unamused:

yourhavingalarf:
Perhaps we…

Should be turning all the shopping centres like Lakeside (I can’t think of any in Kent but I’m sure there are similar monuments to retail therapy and coffee shops) into truck stops/customs points/service centres?

Sooner rather than later, the shopping centre itself will become obsolete.

Bluewater Shopping Centre in Kent

Ashford Designer Outlet

Odd days:
Everything in the Uk has a price on it, nothing is free.

Yup and we are the worst off for it. Rip off Britain strikes again. Wouldn’t be so bad if we got value for money but you can literally drive many thousands of km across Europe, never having to leave motorway to park, never having to pay, eating well only to land in U.K. where they charge up to a frankly scandalous £25/30 to park in a badly maintained crap hole with fast food the only option in the country you are most likely to suffer Truck crime.