Kent lorry parking ban to be permanent: Consultation

robroy:

Odd days:
Nhs workers don’t get parking provided and they are helping keep people alive with covid, and if parking is available they have to pay for it. So why would they provide free parking for trucks ? Everything in the Uk has a price on it, nothing is free.

But they don’t get banned from parking outside the hospital do they? :unamused:

No idea where you live but our closest hospital has double yellows and resident parking for miles around it, but as this is a truck forum that would not count. As soon as drivers realise that they are nothing special and not higher in the pecking order then anyone else, life’s s### end of.

Odd days:
As soon as drivers realise that they are nothing special and not higher in the pecking order then anyone else, life’s s### end of.

Lorry drivers don’t think or want to be higher in the pecking order than anyone else in my experience, just level with the general population would do and an end to being treated like we’re something people trod on. I’m sad for you that you think life is s###. It really doesn’t have to be

switchlogic:
Wouldn’t be so bad if we got value for money but you can literally drive many thousands of km across Europe

It’s been so…

Long since I’ve been over the water, remind me how much it is from Paris to Lyon on the autoroute for an artic?

switchlogic:

Odd days:
As soon as drivers realise that they are nothing special and not higher in the pecking order then anyone else, life’s s### end of.

Lorry drivers don’t think or want to be higher in the pecking order than anyone else in my experience, just level with the general population would do and an end to being treated like we’re something people trod on. I’m sad for you that you think life is s###. It really doesn’t have to be

Have you seen how the rest of the population is treated ? It really really really can not be that bad or you would all refuse to do it, yes you’re come up with excuses bla bla . Either it’s not that bad or they have not got the balls to say no.

switchlogic:

Odd days:

Have you seen how the rest of the population is treated ? It really really really can not be that bad or you would all refuse to do it, yes you’re come up with excuses bla bla . Either it’s not that bad or they have not got the balls to say no.

‘You would all’ says the poster clearly just another non driving s**t stirrer. Have a lovely evening chap.

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:
Wouldn’t be so bad if we got value for money but you can literally drive many thousands of km across Europe

It’s been so…

Long since I’ve been over the water, remind me how much it is from Paris to Lyon on the autoroute for an artic?

No idea, always had a tag

switchlogic:
‘You would all’ says the poster clearly just another non driving s**t stirrer. Have a lovely evening chap.

Haha, no just someone a lot older than you with a more realistic look on life.

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

Tarmaceater:
Well said Robroy, ignorant Councillors grind my gears fuelling anti lorry brigades then use the same old phrases such as menacing, thundering and dangerous juggernaut or the old favourite of rogue driver in media reports .
Pamplona in Spain has a truck city which is long way away from the city , on this site is everything you need in relation to road haulage from Customs agencies, tyre firms , mechanics, bars and cafes and knowing the Spanish probably a few places to get your leg over on a lay over !
Even a hotel with driver discount .

The general idea of Ashford worked well, it just wasn’t big enough for the amount of traffic. They became greedy and it became full of parked lorries with empty bars and restaurants.

Dover Harbour Board and Eurotunnel are paying huge amounts of business rates to Kent County Council and taxes to HM Government, the tax collectors can not act like three year olds and say its all mine, learn to share, that means giving something back to the companies generating the business. Lorry Parks, Security and Enforcement.

Kent must be one of the busiest transit counties and ferry crossings on earth and it is absolutely insane that they have so little parking. Ashford not big enough, Maidstone Services with truck parking the size of a postage stamp and the only other services on a different motorway entirely so going to a second if the first is full is just hassle. Meanwhile Calais, just Calais not Nord Pas De Calais has several huge truckstops that dwarf Ashford and aren’t even in the same league when it comes to security. No one parks in a s**ty lay-by in Kent Because they want to, but because the insanely unpredictable Dover/Folkestone - Calais crossing more often that not totally fks your hours up. But hey, typical UK/Kent, ban first think about it later

Totally agree with that.
I’ll just add UK truck stops cost more as well.
£32.50 at Ashford.
Calias truck stop is like £22.
(Unless its changed since I last went)

Odd days:

switchlogic:

Haha, no just someone a lot older than you with a more realistic look on life.

My deepest sympathies. My heart goes out to you x

switchlogic:

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

It’s been so…

Ok…

I’ll go on the net and do the research. Currently it’s 120.01 euros.

Yes, you can drive many thousands of km’s across europe but, at a price.

Last time I did it, I was handing a Caplis card out the window.

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

It’s been so…

Ok…

I’ll go on the net and do the research. Currently it’s 120.01 euros.

Yes, you can drive many thousands of km’s across europe but, at a price.

Last time I did it, I was handing a Caplis card out the window.

www.impargo.de.You can found price gor any distance

Bumping this to the top. The consultation ends midday July 3rd. Responses are not limited to those who live in Kent. Lower down is the RHA’s very good response. KCC’s aim is to make the ban permanaent and to extend the area covered. We all know that other Councils are watching and will follow suit. Even if you just cut and paste the RHA response the numbers objecting will rise.

cav551:
Kent County Council is intending to make the current Lorry parking ban which is enforced by wheel clamping and a £185 release fee, a permanent feature for all goods vehicles over 5tonnes. This extends countywide with extremely limited exceptions.

Drivers who have legitimately stopped for a 45minute break, and so are exempt, are being harassed by the clampers. The same has been happening to those whose vehicle has developed mechanical trouble.

KCC is required to consult interested parties to extend the ban permanently although the ban was originally introduced without one. Whatever one thinks of the RHA and Logistics UK they are in the process of fighting the legality of the current action based upon this initial lack of consultation.

This proposal must affect significant numbers of T’Net members. Below is a link to the Public Consultation . As Lorry drivers if you or your company delivers to or collects from Kent then YOU have the right to reply to this, - as does your company, it is not limited to Kent residents. You just submit your name, email address and your comments.

As one can imagine there will be large numbers of responses from Kent residents in favour of the proposal. As those directly affected physically and more than likely financially, we need to have our objections recorded. While there is naturally scepticism about that, with a view that the decision has already been made, the replies actually have to be tabulated into themes of argument and listed as a percentage for each category of comment.

Don’t think this will affect you? as a muckaway driver no, but if this proposal goes ahead what is to stop YOUR council following? it would be a very popular policy politically with the local electorate and raises significant revenue.

There is not a lot that can be said about international journeys but domestic haulage is a totally different matter. KCC’s position is that: “Drivers should plan their journeys to avoid the need to park in Kent. Drivers should arrange or adjust booking times so that they do not need to take a break in Kent. Drivers should book overnight rest parking in advance”.

So please, if you feel that you or your company could be affected, submit your opinion to the consultation. The arguments most likely to hold weight include:

1. KCC’s failure over decades to provide adequate off road parking and rest facilities for Lorries and their drivers in multiple locations.

2. KCC’s historic and current failure to require industrial development planning conditions to require lorry parking and driver facilities on a scale relevant to the likely number of visiting vehicles to be a condition for approval.

3. KCC’s failure over decades to prevent otherwise suitable sites for Lorry parking and facilities being sold off for more financially lucrative housing or industrial development.

4. KCC’s failure to understand and take account of the reality of road haulage and specifically that unforeseen delays occur, sometimes for many hours, during deliveries or collections to premises in Kent, which result in drivers running out of Duty time and requiring to park for overnight rest almost immediately.

5. KCC’s failure to take due account that the inadequate facilities which do exist rapidly become full up, leaving those whose DUTY time will expire very shortly with no alternative but to park in laybys, even though they may have adequate driving time left.

6. KCC’s failure to take fully into account the reality of the drivers’ hours regulations and specifically that the driver card will record contraventions of the regulations. Delays at premises and the subsequent requirement by KCC to drive out of Kent to park because all facilities are full is not a valid defence to such a contravention.

7. KCC’s failure to take into account that having reached the adjoining Counties in circumstances which just allow the driver duty or driving time, the situation regarding adequate facilities for parking, toilets and refreshment is no different to that in Kent, and that those adjoining facilities which do exist are equally likely to be full up.

:sunglasses: KCC’s reaction to the pre xmas closure of the French border was a failure of its duty of care towards drivers in a situation which was easily predictable and an eventuality for which a competent authority should have been aware, given the decades of experience which KCC has had regarding issues with channel crossing delays. That evidence alone brings into question KCC’s proven ability or right to make decisions which affect drivers’ welfare.

kccconsultations.inconsult.uk/C … tationHome

rha.uk.net/Portals/0/News/P … 123716-957

Simple answer to this nonscence - point blank refuse to deliver or collect anything in Kent or put a £200 surcharge on every delivery (to cover costs and admin ) . Only when they are starving , naked and have no fuel will they realise the stupidty of their plan .

It’s a rhetorical question and I know it sounds naive, but why is the Minister for Transport not getting involved in this, and putting these obnoxious pompous ■■■■ s in their place.

It’s kinda loosely like conflict of interests, …The fact that these arse holes just ‘‘Don’t want these horrible juggernaut on their land’’ :unamused: conflicts with the actual LAW that states a truck MUST park up for 11 hours at a certain time of the day…or face the consequences.

Being that there are grossly inadequate places with proper basic facilities,.and numerous trucks in the area…not to mention the main county of detination from trucks coming over and shipping out to Europe,…What apart from providing proper parking sites or shutting the ■■■■ up can these (can’t think of anymore suitable names that do not begin with C, for the way I feel about them :smiling_imp: ) do to solve the dire problem??
It’s obviously more lucrative to build residential sites on their over valued land than proper truck parking sites, and more likely to continue getting votes in their elections.

robroy:
It’s a rhetorical question and I know it sounds naive, but why is the Minister for Transport not getting involved in this, and putting these obnoxious pompous [zb] s in their place.

It’s kinda loosely like conflict of interests, …The fact that these arse holes just ‘‘Don’t want these horrible juggernaut on their land’’ :unamused: conflicts with the actual LAW that states a truck MUST park up for 11 hours at a certain time of the day…or face the consequences.

Being that there are grossly inadequate places with proper basic facilities,.and numerous trucks in the area…not to mention the main county of detination from trucks coming over and shipping out to Europe,…What apart from providing proper parking sites or shutting the [zb] up can these (can’t think of anymore suitable names that do not begin with C, for the way I feel about them :smiling_imp: ) do to solve the dire problem??
It’s obviously more lucrative to build residential sites on their over valued land than proper truck parking sites, and more likely to continue getting votes in their elections.

Exactly. Practically All requests to KCC, the minister, the HSE, the department of transport - or whatever they call themslelves now - have been met with the maximum possible obstruction: ignored, three weeks to reply, buck passed as 'not this department refer to X ’ who then refers back to the original recipent with the same excuse. Freedom of Information requests have been brushed aside as commercially sensitive or not required to answer because '“it is not considered to be in the public interest to answer” . The replies which have been made often claim that the question has already been answered so there is nothing more to add so ‘refer to the ombudsman’.

The short answer about the minister’s involvement is that Kent is predominantly a Filthy Party county and getting wid of the nathsty lowwies is a vote winner with Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

The much criticised RHA has raised objections, I am still waiting for a reply from Trucknet to get involved with its magazines, the request remains unacknowledged.

So suitably ignored by the powers that be eh?
Classic example of the UK’s ‘Old Boy Network’ and the power of the bulging plain brown sealed envelope.
:unamused:

I posted ages ago I got clamped for parking overnight on an estate over night.
Cost £185 to be removed.
So was obvious there going to make.it a permenant thing.
I applied and tried to get it over turned but no joy.
.and what’s the bettering now that Essex and.other councils start taking an interest.
And decide to get in on the act to fill the council’s.coffers £185 a time is.money for.nothing really

What a disgrace, only when haulers stick together, yeah I know, and slap a £200 surcharge on ALL Kent deliveries and collection will these morons take notice. Really does make my blood boil reading this and am truly grateful I never have to go near the place. Surely sense will prevail in the end but wouldn’t hold breath.

short walk:
What a disgrace, only when haulers stick together, yeah I know, and slap a £200 surcharge on ALL Kent deliveries and collection will these morons take notice. Really does make my blood boil reading this and am truly grateful I never have to go near the place. Surely sense will prevail in the end but wouldn’t hold breath.

I agree, if I never want back to that ■■■■ hole anti truck county again, it would be too soon.
They do not want the likes of me,.and I certainly do not want to go near the place
They must think that all the stuff they buy in their shops just appear by magic…■■■■ s !