Keeping truck clean

I usually get a different unit every day, unless the previous days unit hasn’t gone out again. Generally I will wipe the controls I touch and the cup holder or dash pocket if I’m going to use it.

We have a pressure washer but it’s usually blocked by a trailer or broken, we have a lorry wash but it’s not open at night and in the morning. It is not uncommon for it to be blocked during the day or closed either. The company provides no brushes or cleaning products for the inside or outside to use for cleaning their vehicles either. We have recently had most of our newer units swapped with other depots for 6 year old units because " the drivers are not looking after the new kit" :open_mouth:

I regularly get comments from colleagues as to “how do you keep your car so clean?”, I answer that I clean it every week :laughing:

I make more of an effort where I work now as it’s food service. Our trucks range from 06 to 18 regs, I started on an 07 plate but within 2 weeks was given a 17 plate which had been taken off another driver.
I wash mine almost daily and weekly defrost and steam clean the freezer and disinfect and steam the chiller. My cab interior is the cleanest I’ve ever had, the firm provide all cleaning equipment too.

Best cloth for mirrors in my experience, is old t-shirts and pants! No lint after being washed a hundred times and generally tough stuff.

Is it my imagination or are later Scanias really hard to keep clean inside? Seem to spend twice the time cleaning than I did in my old 164.

Every man to his own,in days gone bye I have heard Drivers say they keep "their"motor clean and tidy. to be honest some of them don`t know the meaning of “clean and tidy” or spotless. Some have the idea if the passenger foot well is clear of the weeks rubbish ,irrespective of the stains left from the dregs of pop cans and milk bottles that have leaked out,its clean and tidy. Makes you wonder sometimes what conditions they live in at home.
What time does it take,when your waiting to tip or load too spray a bit of polish around, clean the windows or sweep out at the end of the day

Be interesting hear if drivers polish clean there truck every day .do they spend there weekends polishing there car at home as well

if you spend most of your waking hours in your truck, what’s wrong with keeping it the way you like it?

Waiting at Calais once, a foreign driver next to me changed into overalls and disappeared under his truck to do a “brake service” as he put it but maybe he was just cleaning the chassis?

Centre Routiers…

Bordeaux and it’s hammering down with rain. Matey boy with alloys on his trailer is out there washing them all with a soapy sponge and getting ■■■■ wet through whilst doing it.

idrive:
Waiting at Calais once, a foreign driver next to me changed into overalls and disappeared under his truck to do a “brake service” as he put it but maybe he was just cleaning the chassis?

Would hazard a guess that if he wasn’t under her for to long he was just prepping her for a wee nap :wink:

Muckaway:
I make more of an effort where I work now as it’s food service.

When I did food service our boss wanted the outside of the lorry looking clean all the time, even if it mean’t just washing the back door daily to keep the road dirt off.

My current job involves moving breast screeners most of the time and as we are not rushed for time I clean the unit before leaving the yard each trip because of the nature of the work - Don’t want a dirty lorry in the hospital car park :laughing: . The owner had our units resprayed this year and likes his equipment clean and in good condition as he owns everything outright.

mrginge:

Muckaway:
I make more of an effort where I work now as it’s food service.

When I did food service our boss wanted the outside of the lorry looking clean all the time, even if it mean’t just washing the back door daily to keep the road dirt off.

My current job involves moving breast screeners most of the time and as we are not rushed for time I clean the unit before leaving the yard each trip because of the nature of the work - Don’t want a dirty lorry in the hospital car park :laughing: . The owner had our units resprayed this year and likes his equipment clean and in good condition as he owns everything outright.

What’s that work like? Seen them around and always wondered.

Drempels:

The main thing to get your head around is working hours. Obviously car parks at hospitals, shopping centres, leisure centres etc are busy during ‘normal’ hours so you need to be arriving or leaving during early or late hours.

But that means my shifts are 4-6am till 12-2pm or start in the afternoon and be back or parked up by 10pm. I have lots of spare time for netflix and do lots of miles just as a solo unit moving trailers between locations. One of the other drivers did solo to Germany this week to collect a trailer to return here.

I suppose the negative is when you arrive somewhere to build/dismantle a trailer which takes 1hr-2hr (Depending on the ground, drainage and water mains supply, electric landline or generator etc) and its ■■■■■■■ it down :smiling_imp:

Ye gods, I even take the new motorhome to Viktors truckwash to get it cleaned and polished every second or third week…£30 a time. Sod that in the cold like today.

I don’t clean my truck at all.
I drive for a supermarket so different truck daily and usually they aren’t that clean.
I know some drivers will spend 30+mins a day cleaning each truck they use but for me if the trucks too dirty I will just phone office and get another one. I’ve only had go do that a few times though.

It does bother me that people eat crap and leave wrappers/bottles in the cab as they should empty the truck when they are done… Guess it just one of the things you have to put up with when doing supermarket work.

adam277:
I don’t clean my truck at all.
I drive for a supermarket so different truck daily and usually they aren’t that clean.
I know some drivers will spend 30+mins a day cleaning each truck they use but for me if the trucks too dirty I will just phone office and get another one. I’ve only had go do that a few times though.

It does bother me that people eat crap and leave wrappers/bottles in the cab as they should empty the truck when they are done… Guess it just one of the things you have to put up with when doing supermarket work.

Thing is if every driver did their bit the units would soon smarten up…

mrginge:

Drempels:

The main thing to get your head around is working hours. Obviously car parks at hospitals, shopping centres, leisure centres etc are busy during ‘normal’ hours so you need to be arriving or leaving during early or late hours.

But that means my shifts are 4-6am till 12-2pm or start in the afternoon and be back or parked up by 10pm. I have lots of spare time for netflix and do lots of miles just as a solo unit moving trailers between locations. One of the other drivers did solo to Germany this week to collect a trailer to return here.

I suppose the negative is when you arrive somewhere to build/dismantle a trailer which takes 1hr-2hr (Depending on the ground, drainage and water mains supply, electric landline or generator etc) and its ■■■■■■■ it down :smiling_imp:

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like a good and clean job.

always keep the inside clean and tidy, hoover the axminster daily, and get the polish out once a month…other than that its a wipe round, outside i`m not bothered, unless the boss tells me to get it washed.

Company image is everything - so 72 euros every other week in the truckwash - normally Derval- …. no hassle - free coffe and a nap -

008 (8) by Niall Daniels, on Flickr
007 (7) by Niall Daniels, on Flickr
009 (7) by Niall Daniels, on Flickr
011 (9) by Niall Daniels, on Flickr
No reason a unit can`t be given back as clean as it was taken from the dealer,except maybe laziness.
After 6 years and as few drivers as possible!

An absolute credit to you Whiplash, bet the dealer was a bit surprised to get her back in that condition.