Keeping fit as a HGV driver

kevchalluk:
I cancelled my gym membership when I started my first driving job at the end of March - collecting loose tyres for recycling. I have to carry/lift/stack at least 600 of them a day, sometimes doing 1200 if I get two local runs in a day. I’m having to eat a fair bit more than I’m used to, and I’ve still lost weight (not that I had any to lose!). If I changed jobs and was on nights out, I’d probably do a bit of running if my knees were up to it these days.

vellco fella?

stevieboy308:

kevchalluk:
I cancelled my gym membership when I started my first driving job at the end of March - collecting loose tyres for recycling. I have to carry/lift/stack at least 600 of them a day, sometimes doing 1200 if I get two local runs in a day. I’m having to eat a fair bit more than I’m used to, and I’ve still lost weight (not that I had any to lose!). If I changed jobs and was on nights out, I’d probably do a bit of running if my knees were up to it these days.

vellco fella?

no mate, but we have Vellco lads on our site sorting the tyres for us

Essexboy:
Multidrop for 3663 is the best way to keep fit, heavy rollcages,pallets of frozen goods,i handle on average 5 ton of food a day :wink:

No need for the gym,and to be honest after a day at work i dont think i could :laughing:

I would buy a skipping rope or a fold up bike to get some exercise?

Excatly this! Or get a job doing laundry ■■■■■■■ bags up and down.stairs all day long!

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

milkchurns:
i try and get out walking which was hard in the winter time and of course lots of dogging

So it was you who was the trucker on that dogging programme the other night! :wink:

no. not me…he was the other 69%.sorry but i cant get a bit turned on by the 69 bit

Shoshaye:
Buy a skipping rope,15 minutes a day will keep ya trim. :smiley: Helps keep me under 13stone.

Yep try that I used to box and we’d train wearing a bin liner the sweat would poor off you and at first you felt like your going to be sick or collapse a couple off weeks later your bodies used to it and your stamina will be second to none I also run only 3 miles 3 times a week wearing a bin bag and a hoodie try it it works but do it at night so you look less off a ■■■■ running down the road looking like a wheelie bin :slight_smile:

flat work :wink:

Walk.

I cover around 25-30 miles a week. I’ve lost 2 stone in two and a half months (not entirely intentionally!). For free, apart from I’ve just worn out a pair of shoes… :laughing: :laughing:

We have had a couple of drivers taken into hospital with DVT (blood clots). It comes from some of our longer runs like Ben & Jerry which is a 7 hour drive, 4.5 of which are interstate or some even use the interstate the whole way as it’s about 30 miles longer it actually take about the same. I stop for at least 30 minutes about halfway and thats besides also stopping for fuel, on the long stretches I use cruise control and move my legs around as often as I can to keep circulation going. One small Asprin per day helps a lot also.
When parked up we are lucky enough over here to have cabes big enough to stand up and do excersises in.

My old man works at land rover on the track. For years he used to bang on about he walked 8+miles per shift as well as working on the cars. Oh how we laughed when we got him one of those stepometers and he wasn’t reaching 2 mile :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I rarely do more than 2 nights away, so it’s a gym membership for me :smiley:

I don’t eat what I can’t work off, even though I have a love of eating chocolate ! :blush: , when I’m on break I get out of the cab and walk around quite a bit to get the circulation moving, and if I’m on night out , I’ll do all sorts of exercises in the cab.
I don’t walk miles nor do I run , although I used to run many miles for a number of years , across rough country after livestock ! I always find that I feel better after some sort of exercise, And I m still in good shape , so must be doing summat right I reckon :smiley:

I watched the London marathon once. Does that count?

Work keeps me pretty ■■■■ active, lost over 2 stone within 3 months of starting the job, but for exercise when ever I have time I either go cycling on my road bike or downhill biking with friends, the latter of which is insanely fun to do but pushing a 40lb bike up a near vertical hill is hard work, but the coming back down after makes it worth while :slight_smile:

This should shed a few pounds, or at least pound a few sheds…

The future of Haulage.jpg

limeyphil:
I watched the London marathon once. Does that count?

I once ate a marathon in London before they became snickers, so maybe that counts too. :laughing:

i used to carry a bike around when i first started trucking, it was easy to attach the bike carrier on omy old erf ec10 flat cab, ended up on traction work shortly after i replaced it so i never put it back on as there wasnt enough room behind the cab. i’ve recently restored the bike i carted about with me with the intention of finding a way of getting it on my daf, my only other exercise has been going for a walk occasionally and keeping busy with projects at home on a weekend… but i’m running out of those, hence the need for a new plan.

I go out on my bike every weekend,just to keep fit. My problem is eating properly, I like to have one ‘proper’ meal a day, not an ‘all day breakfast’ but a dinner with veg, when I’m away. Trouble is, how easy is it to go into a Maccy D’s :exclamation: :frowning:

I once saw a polish “i think” driver in Watford gap services beside his truck pumping iron with a set of mini dumbells :laughing: made me laugh

Karl86:

Shoshaye:
Buy a skipping rope,15 minutes a day will keep ya trim. :smiley: Helps keep me under 13stone.

Yep try that I used to box and we’d train wearing a bin liner the sweat would poor off you and at first you felt like your going to be sick or collapse a couple off weeks later your bodies used to it and your stamina will be second to none I also run only 3 miles 3 times a week wearing a bin bag and a hoodie try it it works but do it at night so you look less off a [zb] running down the road looking like a wheelie bin :slight_smile:

Top man in our garage was a boxer,it was him that got me into skipping. He says the same as the bin bag lol. maybe just wear a bin bag in the cab with the heater on full.
I only eat when im hungry and don’t eat much rubbish at all, take multi vit and cod liver oil every day.Also had no booze since Christmas and feel much better for it.

Legend_Scania:
I once saw a polish “i think” driver in Watford gap services beside his truck pumping iron with a set of mini dumbells :lol: made me laugh

You see so-called “Fit Women” using them things.
HowTF do they turn a moose into a “Fit Bird” in the first place though?

I always thought birds were born fit, and any exercise done in their 20’s is actually just to be present at the Gym as Eye Candy.
If I were dating a fit bird, I’d rather she saved money by not going to the Gym at all, and encouraged me to spend quality time at home with her doing some press-ups on a regular basis. :smiley:

Why do none of us know a former moose who’s now so fit we keep walking into desks/parked cars etc whilst looking at her walking around the office?

That was “Thought for Today”.