Keeping fit as a HGV driver

Is it possible to do this? I had a cholesterol test just before I started driving HGV and my levels was well below what the deem to be the level at which there is danger. I think it was around 4.1 . Five years later, and after having driven HGV’s for a few years, I went for another test my result was was 5.9 which isn’t actually high risk but certainly moving in the wrong directions. Of course, I need to alter my diet somewhat. But I would also like to get a little fitter as this is the area which really has deteriorated during my time as a driver. Fine…during my two days off per week I can do some exercise, but what of the other five days? Do some of you try to keep fit somehow after parking up for the night? Do you have any advice/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Buy a skipping rope,15 minutes a day will keep ya trim. :smiley: Helps keep me under 13stone.

Work as a removal man (see the thread about this)!

You end up with biceps like grapefruit, with a little bruise on each that women like to kiss!

I’m doing the Great North 10k run as an incentive to get back to fitness and keep fit.

I started running 18 months ago,gave up smoking after 20 odd years, Im upto 10 miles on a sunday now ,and 4 miles twice during the week, Im entering potteries half marathon in june and Im 56 in september , took some hard work but i feel better . Good luck.

i try and get out walking which was hard in the winter time and of course lots of dogging

So long as I could get a shower i’ve done a fair bit of running when parked up on a night out, and most of it was when I was doing a fairly physical job as well !!

costs nowt, and with any modern phone you can keep track of where and how far you went.

milkchurns:
i try and get out walking which was hard in the winter time and of course lots of dogging

So it was you who was the trucker on that dogging programme the other night! :wink:

GasGas:

You end up with biceps like grapefruit, with a little bruise on each that women like to kiss!

Isn’t muscle building and general fitness totally different? Might be wrong :slight_smile:

I’ve started playing badminton and table tennis of a weekend, really enjoy both and not too stressful on the joints, bit of swimming as well.

Can’t be arsed trying to do exercise on a night out. The biggest change to my health was giving up the ■■■■, going from 20 a day to an occasional recreational smoker has made the world of difference as I’m not too shagged to do the exercise in the first place. Still a fat b’stard though.

I hate cigarettes now with a passion which is surprising but when you’re just thraping them for the sake of it & feeling like a diseased badger at the same time it kinda focuses the mind. I found the best time to give up was on the back of illness where you had to stop for a while.

I’ve smoked on and off for 20 years & will never give up completely but cigs just ■■■■ & they’re nearly ten quid a pack now as well.

ajt:

GasGas:

Isn’t muscle building and general fitness totally different? Might be wrong :slight_smile:

I’m no expert, but I think stuffing yourself with whey and steroids to build big muscles and eliminate all body fat is very bad for you.

Getting fit is another thing. Our boss reckoned that loading vans all day (not that we ever did load vans ALL day) was the equivalent of walking for 20 miles, carrying a heavy weight for half the distance.

If you do that job for any length of time you end up quite big across the neck, shoulders and upper arms for your body type, and you don’t get much of a gut. You do have to actively take care of your back though: I used to have to lie on the floor quite a lot to let my spine rehydrate after a heavy day. But being tall and skinny, I wasn’t the ‘right’ shape to be a removal man really: shorter squarer people tend to find it easier.

I started running to the keebab shop stopping at the pub on the way
For a few pints to re-hydrate lol

I weighed 80kg when I started driving at 21. Quit driving in february at 30 years old weighing 107kg. I always tried to park as far away from the services as possible and to get a salad instead of a burger there but c’est la vie. I do body and paintwork on coaches and other heavy machinery now - down to 94kg in 2 months :smiley: losing a steady kilogram week after week while eating pretty much everything I want to.

To be of benefit to your health you need to increase your heart and breathing rate. It’s been interesting to hear the health habits of many of you. Thanks. Skipping and running or a brisk walk are the most feasible whilst out on the road I suppose. But with the exception of walking, the others would require washing facilities afterwards. I drink green tea now and I think that has helped me to get my cholesterol levels down. I used to drink maybe 5 or 6 mugs of coffee a day and I read somewhere on the web that instant coffee has something in it that counteracts a chemical in your body that fights against the build up of harmful cholesterol. Now, I just have the one coffee usually in the morning then it’s green tea and I just keep topping up the tea-bag with boiling water almost all day long. I now find it very refreshing and the coffee rather sickly after 1 cup. I asked the doctor why my cholesterol levels were better and I said to him that I had changed from coffee to green tea. And he was of the opinion that this was probably the reason. If you eat butter…Flora pro-activ is a healthier alternative which works against cholesterol too. I think we should try and be a little health conscious because driving isn’t the most healthy of jobs.

Help out in an Italian groupage warehouse.

When I was going over the water, I limited myself to chips once a week. I also carried a bike in the pallet locker, helped out loading and tipping and scrounged loads of free fruit wherever I was loading. Swap the bag of wine gums for grapes.

Failing that, tip at Lidls 5 times a week or go on multi-drop.

Handball flour bags, push 1t pallets of flour about…
…Pick up my wage slip every Friday.

Derf:
Failing that, tip at Lidls 5 times a week or go on multi-drop.

Ha I am on for Aldi now self load and tip didn’t think I could sweat so much!!

Multidrop for 3663 is the best way to keep fit, heavy rollcages,pallets of frozen goods,i handle on average 5 ton of food a day :wink:

No need for the gym,and to be honest after a day at work i dont think i could :laughing:

I would buy a skipping rope or a fold up bike to get some exercise?

I cancelled my gym membership when I started my first driving job at the end of March - collecting loose tyres for recycling. I have to carry/lift/stack at least 600 of them a day, sometimes doing 1200 if I get two local runs in a day. I’m having to eat a fair bit more than I’m used to, and I’ve still lost weight (not that I had any to lose!). If I changed jobs and was on nights out, I’d probably do a bit of running if my knees were up to it these days.

Skipping it brilliant at getting your heart rate up,2minutes and your knackered, Bare foot and your soon skipping like Tyson :smiley: