Keeping cab/truck clean

Spent about 3 hours today giving my new to me truck a deep clean, as it was pretty minging. I can’t be doing with other drivers snot, jizzle and skin floating around.

Inside on the rubber and trim I used some flash household cleaner stuff I had that foams up which worked well, then used some disinfectant spray and finished with some autoglym vynl and rubber care to make it shine. Sprayed the seats with fabreeze and vacuumed off, then gave the dash a good wipe with some disinfectant wipes, taking particular care to get into all the panel gaps and nooks and crannies where things like to collect.

Outside I used some greased lightning spray and some maguires hot tyre shine on the black bumper and wheel arches/steps. The windows were done with autoglym fast glass. Looked pretty smart after.

Just wondered what products other drivers use? I happened to have all this stuff in my car already so just used what was to hand, but could do with some ideas of products to keep in the cab so I stay on top of it.

I use a product called Sweet FA. Very quick, odour free and is available from anywhere, good bad or Pakistani traders at Wellesbourne market. No need to spray on and wait, you simply do something else while waiting for it to take effect. One application of Sweet FA lasts an absolute lifetime and is recommended by scaffolders, tipper drivers, skip drivers, roadsweeper operators, JCB drivers and some flour delivery bloke with a bad back.
Sweet FA. Bang! The dirt isn’t gone…

Chrome Northwest products seem to do a good range of products that always get good reviews but if you’re happy with the results of the products you used, why change?
Nothing worse than a filthy cab. I was given a truck once filling in for someone on holidays and the smell of ■■■■ in it would knock you out. Never again.

I use chrome north west products and autosmart products both very good,but autosmart can be expensive, you need to find the number if your local mobile dealer who can come round to your house in his van.

It’s all much of a muchness and personal preference. I use Autoglym polish on the outside and vinyl inside. But I always give it a once over with Sainsbury ’ s own brand lemon multi surface kitchen spray 89p per bottle and makes everything smell nice before you polish it up. Works as a dynamite de - greaser too!

Cotswoldcrunch:
I use a product called Sweet FA. Very quick, odour free and is available from anywhere, good bad or Pakistani traders at Wellesbourne market. No need to spray on and wait, you simply do something else while waiting for it to take effect. One application of Sweet FA lasts an absolute lifetime and is recommended by scaffolders, tipper drivers, skip drivers, roadsweeper operators, JCB drivers and some flour delivery bloke with a bad back.

I opened this thread to comment ‘CotswoldCrunch will be along shortly to tell us how he doesn’t bother cleaning anything’ but you beat me too it. For a man who doesn’t clean lorries you don’t half comment on a lot of threads about cab cleaning. You’re nothing if not repetitive :wink:

So are large lego bricks on the passenger seat…

F-reds:
It’s all much of a muchness and personal preference. I use Autoglym polish on the outside and vinyl inside. But I always give it a once over with Sainsbury ’ s own brand lemon multi surface kitchen spray 89p per bottle and makes everything smell nice before you polish it up. Works as a dynamite de - greaser too!

Sounds perfect, there is a Sainsburys opposite the yard!
I do like autoglym vinyl care, use it on my car a lot, but it’s pretty expensive even with a halfords trade card. I usually wait for the 3 for 2 offer and stock up. Might pop in tomorrow and get some, as that offer is currently on.

I work a 4 on 4 off shift pattern tramping so, luckily, the cab unit is only used by me and the colleague I share it with. I generally give the cab a good clean when I leave it for my colleague, he does the same for me.
I use fabreeze on the softs and a multi surface anti bacterial spray cleaner from Aldi (also has fabreeze in it). Leaves the cab nice and clean as well as smelling fresh. The cab has a flat floor (all rubber), I find the anti bacterial cleaner perfect for not leaving a slippery surface…can use it on the dash front and top too!

Tazbug

Cotswoldcrunch:

Lol

I use the rubber and vinyl on the inside along with auto smart berry blast dash spray. Febreeze on the seats and wash the seat covers(I say wash I put them in the washing basket for her) every few weeks. Always nick a pack of her wet wipes there brilliant for the steering wheel at the end of every shift and if you have the textured plastic trim like I have in my scania I find the door panel gets a bit grubby were I rest my arm on it I use car pride engine degreaser spray it on let it soak wipe of with a wet wipe and then spray back up with the silicone. On the outside I use autoglym or mer polish and auto smart tyre dressing and back to black for the plastic and arches. Only problem with that is our yards just dust so it doesn’t stay looking shinny and nice for long I normally only dress the tyres and plastic up if I clean it up on a lunch break amd I know I’ll be out the yard for the rest of the day so I at least get a few hours of having a nice looking motor. Demon shine is my fav trick for a quick wash of spray up with the demon shine micro fibre cloth job done. The best trick for keeping anything clean is little and often my cab gets brushed out and wiped over every day and I Hoover it a couple of times a week so it always looks like a brand new cab the ■■■■ never stays on there long enough to get engrained in.

Karl86:
I use the rubber and vinyl on the inside along with auto smart berry blast dash spray. Febreeze on the seats and wash the seat covers(I say wash I put them in the washing basket for her) every few weeks. Always nick a pack of her wet wipes there brilliant for the steering wheel at the end of every shift and if you have the textured plastic trim like I have in my scania I find the door panel gets a bit grubby were I rest my arm on it I use car pride engine degreaser spray it on let it soak wipe of with a wet wipe and then spray back up with the silicone. On the outside I use autoglym or mer polish and auto smart tyre dressing and back to black for the plastic and arches. Only problem with that is our yards just dust so it doesn’t stay looking shinny and nice for long I normally only dress the tyres and plastic up if I clean it up on a lunch break amd I know I’ll be out the yard for the rest of the day so I at least get a few hours of having a nice looking motor. Demon shine is my fav trick for a quick wash of spray up with the demon shine micro fibre cloth job done. The best trick for keeping anything clean is little and often my cab gets brushed out and wiped over every day and I Hoover it a couple of times a week so it always looks like a brand new cab the [zb] never stays on there long enough to get engrained in.

Yes dust is a problem in our yard but a with well waxed and dressed cab you can normally brush the dust off with a soft microfiber.
I love keeping my motor clean think it’s a bit of an obsession to be honest :smiley:

yorkshire terrier:

Karl86:
I use the rubber and vinyl on the inside along with auto smart berry blast dash spray. Febreeze on the seats and wash the seat covers(I say wash I put them in the washing basket for her) every few weeks. Always nick a pack of her wet wipes there brilliant for the steering wheel at the end of every shift and if you have the textured plastic trim like I have in my scania I find the door panel gets a bit grubby were I rest my arm on it I use car pride engine degreaser spray it on let it soak wipe of with a wet wipe and then spray back up with the silicone. On the outside I use autoglym or mer polish and auto smart tyre dressing and back to black for the plastic and arches. Only problem with that is our yards just dust so it doesn’t stay looking shinny and nice for long I normally only dress the tyres and plastic up if I clean it up on a lunch break amd I know I’ll be out the yard for the rest of the day so I at least get a few hours of having a nice looking motor. Demon shine is my fav trick for a quick wash of spray up with the demon shine micro fibre cloth job done. The best trick for keeping anything clean is little and often my cab gets brushed out and wiped over every day and I Hoover it a couple of times a week so it always looks like a brand new cab the [zb] never stays on there long enough to get engrained in.

Yes dust is a problem in our yard but a with well waxed and dressed cab you can normally brush the dust off with a soft microfiber.
I love keeping my motor clean think it’s a bit of an obsession to be honest :smiley:

I wipe mine over god knows how many times a day with the micro fibre and it keeps on top of it. It just ■■■■■■ me off when my boss walks over if my lorrys in the yard,opens the door stuffs something on my seat and ■■■■■ back off, wind blowing door open drives me mad but what can you say. I get ribbed on how I am about mine but Just because every other lorry like mine is filthy and beat to ■■■■ doesn’t mean mine has to be. I wouldn’t pay someone to deliver stuff in my car all week and bring it back filthy and battered at the end of the week. I think looking after your motor is a reflection on yourself ,it’s also a very good advert. I was offered a job this morning from a firm who have been asking me for months unfortunately they wouldn’t match my wages but offered me a brand new motor that they were having delivered next month. The gaffers words being my drivers don’t give a ■■■■ and you keep your motor immaculate I’d rather you have it then one of them unfortunately a 64 plate lorry doesn’t pay my mortgage so I politely declined but it’s nice to know your noticed and could walk into another job if need be.

Is all this cleaning other work? Or is it a freebie for the company;)

fredthered:

I’m paid my breaks so technically I’m not doing it free and If I see fit to spend my time resting and recuperating by washing it off on a nice day rather than spending yet another hour sat on my arse in my cramped p series than I’d happily argue my case.

fredthered:

My colleagues get overtime for washing our motors on Saturdays. Surely you can clean your cab in your break if that’s how you choose to dispose of your time?

Technically other work for me. I only had one drop about 10 miles away. Started at 8am, did the drop but got held up in traffic. Got back to the yard at about 10 and spent about 3 hours cleaning. Was at home with my feet up by 1.30.

Cotswoldcrunch:

Done tippers, skip wagons and RoRo on scrap and waste, managed to keep my cab immaculate! I don’t live in filth at home so I’m certainly not tramping in it!! Saturday morning was washing, waxing, hoovering etc oh and the footwells even got washed out too!! Yeah I agree there’s some filthy gits about but you can’t persecute a guy because of what type of wagon/work he does.

Yes RedFred mine is other work. Gaffer expects me to keep the truck looking good, so he pays me to do it and he pays for any cleaning materials.

Tango for the outside and G101 for the inside.