Just to warn you all

got back into the yard today and found out what happened. Turns out he got caught a while back and then got summoned to court, he then ignored that and ignored the next one :astonished: , the police then went to his house to find him and he wasnt there, they then came to the yard and had a word with the boss, who in turn got him back to the yard.

The result, 2 month ban and a Ā£750 fine!!

Strange thing is I saw him driving his car out of the yard todayā– ā– ?

Potter:

Thatā€™s why I think we should have one system for traffic offences in EU.

He now might think: "it takes cops few weeks (months) to catch me up, so I can drive and do not care. What they will do me? Ban me more? ā– ā– ā– ā–  them, I gonna to pick up my staff from the company, couple of days to settle all my pending things here, and next month I am off to Ireland/Poland/Czech Republic/Sweden/Greece/Spainā€¦ to look for HGV driving job with my shinny clean polish licenseā€¦

The result, 2 month ban and a Ā£750 fine!!

Was the ban for all his driving or just the LGV bit :question: :question:

Iā€™m going to agree with Jammymutt on this, exceptthe bit about texting never done that whilst drivng.
I spend a lot of time talking on a mobile while driving using blue tooth. But the driving comes first. I donā€™t have a problem with it at all. I donā€™t make calls only answer them.

dle1uk:
if an accident is fatal/serious you will find that an investigation is opened, hence the closure of roads after an accident/ the taking of statements ectā€¦

So what do they blame? if it wasnt a phone or changin a cd or rubber necking?.

Why dnt you hear of people being banned for talking to their passneger?, or singing to the radio and causing an accident??.

jammymutt:
Why dnt you hear of people being banned for talking to their passneger?, or singing to the radio and causing an accident??.

Because that is so rare - Iā€™ve never heard of such a crash being caused by the above
It would be like banning someone becaused they drove with a cold and a sneeze was the cause

Does that make closing your eyes to sneeze and wipe your bogies less dangerous than talking to to someone?.

driving without due care and attention covers a multitude of sins like changing a CD ect, but accidents have and will happen whilst folk are using a mobile phone, or other stuff, its just that they can prove the mobile phone thing very easily whilst other stuff is more difficultā€¦ its not been to long since the smoking thing came up and the fact that smoking whilst driving is dangerous?

i think of it in a simialr to alot of old guys who claim that they drive better if they are over the limit,

ROG:

jammymutt:

Because that is so rare - Iā€™ve never heard of such a crash being caused by the above
It would be like banning someone becaused they drove with a cold and a sneeze was the cause

Becouse nobody looks into that, as itā€™s not banned.

I got caught on the A500 at crewe,by a plain wrapper,just answering a call.they pulled me,fixed penalty fine Ā£60.00,this was before the points system was in place.but i was reported to the area traffic commissioner.A month or so later abook arrived through the post,ihad to appear in front of the commissioner,and lost my HGV entitlement for 2 wks.I took 2 wks holiday,kept my job,now the phone stays switched off,so be warned.

Noodle soup:
I got caught on the A500 at crewe,by a plain wrapper,just answering a call.they pulled me,fixed penalty fine Ā£60.00,this was before the points system was in place.but i was reported to the area traffic commissioner.A month or so later abook arrived through the post,ihad to appear in front of the commissioner,and lost my HGV entitlement for 2 wks.I took 2 wks holiday,kept my job,now the phone stays switched off,so be warned.

2 weeks is light I think.

Didnt the delightful Beverley remove someones licence for 2 months for the same offence.

I take it you have a British licenceā€¦

So its against the law to pick up a mobile phone to speak to someone, Its legal to use a handsfree kit but you can stil be locked up for it anyway, its perfectly legal to talk to your passenger when driving.

BUT its ok to use a CB radio which means having one hand on the mic when you speakā€¦

Crazy?.

Itā€™s a ridiculous law, Just because a few people happened to be on a phone when they had a crash does not mean it contributed to the crash, Thatā€™s just the observation of the pen pushing idiots.
If iā€™m in a situation, eg. heavy traffic, near a school, bad weather, i donā€™t answer. if iā€™m on a fairly clear motorway, in good weather, then it should be up to me if i should use the phone.
Why should we all be made to carry the can for other peoples mistakes?
I can concentrate on the road better with the phone to my ear rather than a hands free. Some people itā€™s the other way round. One rule for all, ridiculous we are all individuals.

limeyphil:
Itā€™s a ridiculous law, Just because a few people happened to be on a phone when they had a crash does not mean it contributed to the crash, Thatā€™s just the observation of the pen pushing idiots.

And because the pen-pushing idiots run this country more stupid laws will be rolled out.

These people work 9 - 5, catch the train/ drive into the office with their phone switched off and then use the office phone all day to phone other people who know sweet FA to decide whatā€™s best for people like themselves.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum, and will keep on running it to their own needs, irrespective of the needs of the rest of us living in the real world.

Stan

jammymutt:
BUT its ok to use a CB radio which means having one hand on the mic when you speakā€¦

But Itā€™s not legal to use a CB radio in Poland. Is that means, that using CB radio is safer in UK then in Poland? :wink: Maybe speaking polish distract you more? So if I will be speaking english on CB in Poland can I use it whilst driving? :wink:

I have posed this question on another forum that included some officers of the leauw!

Not now Kato! :wink:

I didnt get any sympathy for the original post apart from, ā€œyes well it is dangerousā€, it is not the same as using a CB or a rider listening to complicated instructions from a driving examiner. were among the responses

I canā€™t honestly see a difference between asking the children what they did at school while stopping the other 2 fighting, or manually tuning in a radio. There is no difference between adjusting the heater controls as to pushing the button on a bluetooth earpiece.

orys:

But Itā€™s not legal to use a CB radio in Poland. Is that means, that using CB radio is safer in UK then in Poland?

But that was to stop you saying hurtful things about comrade Jaruzelski. I remember having to put my CB into a sealed bag in Czechoslovakia to stop us talking about Vaclav Havel and Alexander Dubcek :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

orys:

But Itā€™s not legal to use a CB radio in Poland. Is that means, that using CB radio is safer in UK then in Poland?

But that was to stop you saying hurtful things about comrade Jaruzelski. I remember having to put my CB into a sealed bag in Czechoslovakia to stop us talking about Vaclav Havel and Alexander Dubcek :smiley:

No, no, I meant whilst driving :slight_smile:

But you are a bit right - you needed to obtain some license for this in old times, and for that, you needed opinion of your local militia bosses, references from radio club etc etcā€¦

Unusual for me to defend this governmentā€™s legislation, but Iā€™m going to.

Three times whilst on my bike Iā€™ve had to hit the brakes hard to avoid someone whoā€™s driven straight into my path, and on all three occasions, theyā€™ve been on the 'phone. Maybe thatā€™s coincidence, but probability and plenty of scientific research by driving groups suggests otherwise. And yet, these same drivers are probably the ones saying ā€œbut Iā€™m better than everyone else, I can drive perfectly whether Iā€™m on the phone or not.ā€

Even IF using the phone doesnā€™t distract you, and for me thatā€™s a very big IF, there is no question that having only one hand available for driving reduces your control of the vehicle, and ability to deal with the unexpected.

Now I am 100% in opposition to any plans to make using a hands-free phone illegal - that would just give those who choose to break the law a great competitive advantage over those who choose to abide by it.

The difference between using a phone and tuning the radio or adjusting the heater? The latter should take a fraction of a second (and if not I suggest you pull over and read the handbook!) - and for that time you are still distracted, and at a higher risk of an accident. I remember a case several years ago where a driver was imprisoned for causing a fatal crash on the motorway, his attention having being diverted for just a critical moment to grab a sweet from the passenger seat. Phone conversations can go on for many minutes/hours. That is a long time to have your concentration and one hand ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  by another activity.

Worryingly, my view seems to be in the minority, but I have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught breaking the law.

orys:

Wheel Nut:

orys:

No, no, I meant whilst driving :slight_smile:

But you are a bit right - you needed to obtain some license for this in old times, and for that, you needed opinion of your local militia bosses, references from radio club etc etcā€¦

But then the sealed bag could be torn open, as long as the seal itself was intact :stuck_out_tongue: