Just to settle an argument

Just a quick question - can anyone give me an idea of the approximate cost per mile of operating a 38t artic? I know many factors need to be considered, but I just need a rough idea, please.

Steve

Ste46:
Just a quick question - can anyone give me an idea of the approximate cost per mile of operating a 38t artic? I know many factors need to be considered, but I just need a rough idea, please.

Steve

The ladies of the Weymouth & District Hat Pin Collectors Society reckon it could be as low as 1p per mile & as high as £30 per mile.

TNUK is going to throw up all sorts of nonsense inbetween these figures, but given the info to go on, I’d have as much if not more respect for the opinions of the W&D HPCS.

P.S. This is the sort of ‘nonsense’ question that only someone exceedingly stoopid or extremely bereft of any knowledge of LGV’s could ask, it’s akin to asking “how long will it take you” or “where am I” !

Many thanks for your response, Chas. I asked a perfectly reasonable question in response to a disagreement with my son-in-law.
I do know that Commercial Motor used to publish this information some years ago in their annual Tables of Operating Costs book - I don’t know if they still do so. A perfectly civil query as to whether anyone had this information does not, to me, warrant rudeness!

P.S. This is the sort of ‘nonsense’ question that only someone exceedingly stoopid or extremely bereft of any knowledge of LGV’s could ask, it’s akin to asking “how long will it take you” or “where am I” !

I recently retired after nearly fifty years driving lorries (not trucks) that I’m willing to bet you’ve never heard of, on roads you never knew existed. I don’t come on here to be insulted by someone who doesn’t even know me and, quite possibly, knows less about the job, too!

Again, many thanks for the ‘help’.

Steve

Ste46:
Many thanks for your response, Chas. I asked a perfectly reasonable question in response to a disagreement with my son-in-law.
I do know that Commercial Motor used to publish this information some years ago in their annual Tables of Operating Costs book - I don’t know if they still do so. A perfectly civil query as to whether anyone had this information does not, to me, warrant rudeness!

I recently retired after nearly fifty years driving lorries (not trucks) that I’m willing to bet you’ve never heard of, on roads you never knew existed. I don’t come on here to be insulted by someone who doesn’t even know me and, quite possibly, knows less about the job, too!

Steve

Nice one :wink:

If I had an artic Steve which iam glad I don’t I would want over £2 every mile minimum .

Ste46:

Steve

For someone who knows it all, you shouldn’t need to ask.

Mind the width of your head on the doorframe on your way out.

Hope you’ve put that down as other work on your logbook

Ste46:

Steve

OK. You claim you’re an ‘oldskool’ driver.

Can you acknowledge that in some jobs the lorry will cost more in tyre wear than diesel £mpg?

Is it a new truck? Is it on lease, HP, bought outright? What’s the depreciation? . . . . What’s the TCO? How many miles per day is it hauling fully loaded, what’s the average MPG, how many miles per day is it running empty?

I have many Qu’s to ask but I feel you cannot answer them. You’re basically asking TNUK “how long is a piece of string”?

I get the feeling that you don’t know what you don’t know. Please be reminded that you’re asking a Qu’ on TNUK, where one or two of us actually do this for a living !

GFY. Come back when you’ve sorted yourself out, there’s still a few of us left here who are actually interested in a drivers forum.

NOVE:

Ste46:

Steve

For someone who knows it all, you shouldn’t need to ask.

Mind the width of your head on the doorframe on your way out.

Hope you’ve put that down as other work on your logbook

I don’t know it all - strangely enough, that’s why I asked!

As for the rest, see my previous comment.

Steve

Dan Punchard:
If I had an artic Steve which iam glad I don’t I would want over £2 every mile minimum .

There you go, the TNUK massif has set a benchmark of £2 per mile minimum.

My mate runs a Volvo unit pulling a trailer that does approx 8K miles per year in europe, costs him on average £5k pa to do it !

shot down in flames.

80 pence per mile according to this

costs.dffintl.co.uk/Cost_Tables_2012.pdf

Couldn’t give you a figure but I’ve been driving around Kent all week, on Wednesday night / Thursday morning I’d covered 1150km, I don’t think I’m over excessive on fuel usage, I had to put 369ltrs of Derv in which was well over £500 @£1.46.9 ppl add to that 3 days wages and night out money and your on over £900 in fuel and wages alone!

80 pence per mile would only cover the fuel .

I dont see what is wrong with asking a question like this.
It is sad when people use forums like this to be abusive to people for no reason.
It makes you wonder if they are like this all the time or only when they can hide behind a computer screen !
They should go and get a life.

Thanks for the replies.

When I last saw a costs table - which has got to be over 20 years ago - I am certain that they were talking around an average of two quid plus. I would think (but I don’t know) that today’s figure, taking into account tax, insurance, wages, depreciation, service, fuel etc etc would average over four and probably be nearer five.

Thanks again.

Steve

nab:
I dont see what is wrong with asking a question like this.
It is sad when people use forums like this to be abusive to people for no reason.
It makes you wonder if they are like this all the time or only when they can hide behind a computer screen !
They should go and get a life.

I love my life. Love you too

10 years ago, my boss wanted £140 per day to break even. He was very happy if I could get 11 MPG.

SWEDISH BLUE:
10 years ago, my boss wanted £140 per day to break even. He was very happy if I could get 11 MPH.

Were you driving one of these?

tc engine.jpg

Chas:
Is it a new truck? Is it on lease, HP, bought outright? What’s the depreciation? . . . . What’s the TCO? How many miles per day is it hauling fully loaded, what’s the average MPG, how many miles per day is it running empty?

All of the above are now know as *KPI`s (key productivity indicators)
IIRC according to an old employer any empty running above 22% of a journey is/was deemed uneconomical.
Which is probably why you see so many trucks parked up around the corner from their last drop, waiting for a call to go around the corner for a collection

*Edited before the spelling police arrive

peirre:

Chas:

All of the above are now know as KIP`s (key productivity indicators)
IIRC according to an old employer any empty running above 22% of a journey is/was deemed uneconomical.
Which is probably why you see so many trucks parked up around the corner from their last drop, waiting for a call to go around the corner for a collection

Don’t mean to be picky but it’s KPI’s and it stands for Key Performance Indicators.

NewLad:
Don’t mean to be picky but it’s KPI’s and it stands for Key Performance Indicators.

Made me laugh for some reason :laughing: