Just to settle an argument

NewLad:
I had to put 369ltrs of Derv in which was well over £500 @£1.46.9 ppl

Your boss didn’t pay the pump price. The VAT is reclaimable and it’ll be whatever the price per litre for the fuel card he’s using. Its probably not much over £1/litre.

By the way…
The string thing depends if
A. The string is wet or dry.
B. The type of string.

Just saying. Thats all .

As for costs to be honest there are so many factors to build in with today’s industry I think as a rule it would be very difficult to answer the question.

nick2008:
By the way…
The string thing depends if
A. The string is wet or dry.
B. The type of string.

Just saying. Thats all .

Its actually how accurately you measure the piece of string, measure under a microscope and the string will be longer than if your measure with a ruler using the naked eye.

Hiya…cooking oil in costco is only £15 for 20 liters…i’ll 60 liters that’ll save me a few bob on
my fuel bill…my old girl loves that oil it just smells sickly on the exhaust pipe.
John

3300John:
Hiya…cooking oil in costco is only £15 for 20 liters…i’ll 60 liters that’ll save me a few bob on
my fuel bill…my old girl loves that oil it just smells sickly on the exhaust pipe.
John

How does advertising that you’re breaking the law save you a few bob? :open_mouth: (I might be wrong, but i assume running your vehicle on cooking fat is illegal without paying the duty on it)

big boots:
80 pence per mile according to this

costs.dffintl.co.uk/Cost_Tables_2012.pdf

That figure only covers fuel, tyres and maintenance. Or did - diesel prices have gone up a little bit since 2011.

Evil8Beezle:

3300John:
John

How does advertising that you’re breaking the law save you a few bob? :open_mouth: (I might be wrong, but i assume running your vehicle on cooking fat is illegal without paying the duty on it)

not really . use it once and its recycled but there’s a limit on yearly usages

section 2.4

customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort … e=document

Although mine is 44 rather than 38 tonnes, as a rough rule of thumb I estimate my costs at £120 per day over a five day week, then 70p per mile for diesel.

Cooking oil, the duty was paid by the fishmonger, and the truck using it is disposing it sensibly :laughing: dont think theres a law against that. Anyway, looking at the cost of running a 38tonner, of course it varies, load weight etc, and all the other costs involved tax, insurance, wear and tear, tyres etc, etc, so £2 sounds reasonable per mile, but, i bet theres not many getting that rate, i remember reading a short while ago that some were averaging around the £1 - £1.50 mark which is below whats needed, and good advice from the O/Ds who are actually doing the job daily.
The average truck is around 8mpg ( higher is a bonus ) so with that in mind its a good start, just add on wages and all the other bits and pieces to work out an average per mile basis.

truckyboy:
Cooking oil, the duty was paid by the fishmonger, and the truck using it is disposing it sensibly :laughing: dont think theres a law against that.

Since when did a fishmonger pay road fuel duty on cooking oil? Since when did a fishmonger have anything to do with cooking oil anyway…?

Chas on top form I see. Careful OP, annoy him too much and he’ll bug your phone and track every move, apparently.

switchlogic:
Chas on top form I see. Careful OP, annoy him too much and he’ll bug your phone and track every move, apparently.

Am I bovvered??

Steve

i thought a fishmonger used oil to fry the fish and chips, anyway, he pays vat on the oil he buys which is tax,or am i mistaken, and are you being pedantic and thought a fishmonger is one who only sells fresh fish, take a chill pill sometime, it will make a big difference.

When subbing work we calculate charging at £1.51 per mile and add £50 margin for the haulier and most are happy with that (from 18 tonners to 44 tonne artics) Even then customers still think it is too much. One is wanting to pay about £100 less than what we want and wondering why he is stuck with 9 loads not covered! Hauliers have the upper hand now, and should not accept crap rates as the economy is picking up, but a lot less trucks on the road since the recession began.

NewLad:

peirre:

Chas:
Is it a new truck? Is it on lease, HP, bought outright? What’s the depreciation? . . . . What’s the TCO? How many miles per day is it hauling fully loaded, what’s the average MPG, how many miles per day is it running empty?

All of the above are now know as KIP`s (key productivity indicators)
IIRC according to an old employer any empty running above 22% of a journey is/was deemed uneconomical.
Which is probably why you see so many trucks parked up around the corner from their last drop, waiting for a call to go around the corner for a collection

Don’t mean to be picky but it’s KPI’s and it stands for Key Performance Indicators.

You’re just being picky :wink: :wink: Yes that’s what it means…

truckyboy:
i thought a fishmonger used oil to fry the fish and chips, anyway, he pays vat on the oil he buys which is tax,or am i mistaken, and are you being pedantic and thought a fishmonger is one who only sells fresh fish, take a chill pill sometime, it will make a big difference.

LOL :slight_smile:

Not only do you apparently think a fishmonger is someone who runs a chippie, you also think VAT is charged on supplies of cooking oil for human consumption. Priceless! Do keep it up :slight_smile:

truckyboy:
i thought a fishmonger used oil to fry the fish and chips

No, somebody who works in a fish and chip shop is called a “marine coating and heating technician”. :stuck_out_tongue: