Just so you all know

Somerfields wagons are now restricted to 51/52mph.

Are they taking the [zb] or what… 54 is bad enough, but in all seriousness 51 is a bloody joke. Try doing 200 miles at 51 mph, NIGHTMARE…

The worst part i find is when you pull over to the middle lane on the motorway to let other vehicles join the motorway, you have other artics sitting up your ■■■ wondering what the hell you are playing at… Somerfield should have stickers atached to the trailers to let other drivers know.

Iv even been overtaken by Asda and Tesco and when they overtake you, ya know someting is wrong…

Thats my rant over…

wizardofoz wrote:-

The worst part i find is when you pull over to the middle lane on the motorway to let other vehicles join the motorway, you have other artics sitting up your ■■■ wondering what the hell you are playing at…

Best not pull out then!

i wont work for them anyway. this just means they are another obstruction in the middle lane to get past. at least they are trucks though and have an excuse. unlike car drivers sitting at :imp:

just think of all the fuel you’ll save lol

wizardofoz:
Somerfields wagons are now restricted to 51/52mph.

I’ve noticed this already. Wincanton run the transport though? Is it a Wincanton thing or a Sommerfield thing, i mean in as much as if its successful will the rest of Wincanton follow suit?

wouldnt it be easier to introduce an incentive for the drivers? tesco drivers sit at 50 but i dont know why. stretching time out or do they receive a bonus of some kind for reaching a good fuel consumption figure? im agency so i want to get back and get a trailer to take out so im happy to pass them. more money for me :sunglasses:

its a somerfield thing mike, there in the process of being bought by co-op so i reckin there trying to save as much as possible, but im sure wincanton buy the fuel so maybe they have wincanton on a tighter budget. they have really tightened things up on runs. most runs now are at least sevn drops on the frozen and ambient squeezed on the back. :angry:

When I worked for Exel on the same contract,Somerfield called all the shots,so I would guess they are calling the tune.

But look at it this way,at that speed,the job takes longer,so more £££££

Ken.

200 miles at 51 MPH…nice and relaxing!

Will they be able to even do some of their trunks at that speed.

I did one for Sainbury’s from EK to Haydock, MAN TGA slow as a week in the jail must have been doing 52-53mph.

Putting in the card at the start of the shift, driving round yard getting trailer, getting out security hut, driving down to Haydock coming off the M6 a bit of stop start, security hut again, drive round to office, then find change over driver was sitting at 4hrs 29mins on the digi card when i took my 45mins.

Next time i did that trunk asked for a Volvo since it sits at 56mph and managed to get down in 4hrs 15mins

Somerfields not far from Sainsbury’s in EK, and their depot they trunk to a bit further down than haydock and their trucks going slower now, they going to be going for 10 hour drivers, drivers taking two 45mins to do their trunks ?

Plus as well 380HP Volvos doing 51mph slightest hill its got nothing on the power band in top gear be dropping gears, prob using more fuel, would it be that more fuel efficent.

wizardofoz:
im sure wincanton buy the fuel

They may order it, but they don’t pay for it.

The co-op are also starting to restrict there fleet in certain depots to 52mph.

Maybe something to do with the co-op buying Somerfield.

Kenny1975:
Will they be able to even do some of their trunks at that speed.

its a good point. i have done a few trunks for various companies that are between 4.15 and 4.30 driving time end to end. if they all started restricting their trucks then they probably wouldnt make it. the question is would they take that into consideration when making the decision or would they find out the stupid way and have to get them back in to raise the limited speed again?

if they cant make it in 9 hours driving would the saving cover the extra hour they would pay the driver?

I was talking to a culina driver at keystore in hull on wednesday,
He told me his was set at 49mph.
That’s almost a days turnover lost every week.

they’ve started restricting our mercs at Woodsides to 85ks :unamused: so don’t shout if you come screaming up to our rear, its not our fault, honest. Irish plated wagons doing 85ks…priceless :laughing:

wizardofoz:
The worst part i find is when you pull over to the middle lane on the motorway to let other vehicles join the motorway, you have other artics sitting up your ■■■ wondering what the hell you are playing at… Somerfield should have stickers atached to the trailers to let other drivers know.

Ah yes the classic Tick in the Minor Infringement box when taking your test, do it 3 times and its an automatic failure :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Easily solved, dont pull out :wink:

my wagons restricted too. if only because the ■■■■ things so underpowered and poorly maintained!
Mind you one of my firms motors is sooo slow, that a few months back i happened to fall in behind one of the go-slow fuel protests on the edinburgh by-pass.
They out ran me!!![/i]

my wagon opnly does 85ks, but it dont bother me im not really doing that speed much anyway, im lucky if i do more than 2mph for most of the day lol.
i had a daf 85 410 today and that would sit at 56mph all day fully loaded at 32 ton hills and all but the auto gearbox is pathetic.

i dont get though why were limited to 56mph if the limit for us is 60mph?

My new Volvo FH does a true 90 km/h. I measured it with GPS after I noticed that when I set the cruise to the max, no other lorries were overtaking me at all!

Not that I often want go that fast, however. :sunglasses:

From memory, the Regs stipulate that limiters must be set at 85kph + or - 5%, which, at the upper end equates to 56mph and, at the lower end, 52mph.

Anything outside of those parameters warrants ‘defecting’ and, arguably VOR, as it would be subject to a GV9.

I drive a number that are set to exactly (it seems) 85kph, and it is so ■■■■ boring that it actually erodes concentration. And they still expect you to meet JIT timed deliveries. :unamused: :unamused: