Just so you all know

The legislation says 90kph max - no minimum

There is a recommended 50MPH in force at Imperial Tankers.

The vehicles are not restricted as yet but Imperial have a policy of restricting an individuals unit if, after Tacho analysis, they do not stick to it.

Apparently the fuel savings over the year are near 3/4 of a Million on a fleet of 100 vehicles or more.

So, I know that the ‘restricted’ boys drive at 50mph in 6 or 7th gear just to keep the revs right up just to spite them.

Hurrah!

i cant see it makin much difference to fuel if the majority of runs are running round town with 6/7 drops,especially if the drivers keen off the lights etc?

We all know that fuel is the biggest cost for all firms, so reducing the limiter to 50-52mph to save fuel makes sense (bearing in mind that some of the recent haulage firm collapses have blamed rising fuel prices as major contributory factor) also if you are paid by the hour everybody wins :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
p.s. The speed limit on some single carriageway “A” roads should be raised to 50mph to benefit fuel economy as well :confused:

It depends on the engine as to whether dropping the top speed helps or hinders, tbh.

My current Stralis is awful on fuel and always has been - a peculiarity of that wagon rather than the model, the others have all been ok. It’s the only 480 we’ve had on distance with the 12 speed gearbox though, so draw your own conclusons… :bulb: :wink:

Anyhow, I eventually found an EDC fault on it which improved things, but not much, so I did a bit of playing around with the driver-controlled limiter on a run the other day which we do regularly.

It normally does a true 91kph - a tad over 56mph. On the Stralis you can bring a screen up which shows you exactly how much fuel you are using moment by moment, as well as taking a trip average. By incrementally knocking it back 2mph until I was down to 52, I got a decent overview of the effect. And, believe it or not, the lower the speed, the worse it got.

The reason? The Iveco Cursor is a spinning engine, NOT a lugger. It needs the revs to stay well up in order to run efficiently. It’s fine sitting at 1350rpm at cruising speed, and will use a lot less juice knocked down to 1200rpm, BUT the payoff is that it then uses far more the second you hit the gentlest of slopes because it’s too far away from the best part of the torque band. Ignore the green band and let it spin up to about 1700-1800rpm and it will keep pulling and use less fuel as a consequence. It sounds utterly against natural logic, but I’ve tested this out a few times and it works.

Iveco engines have always been “spinners”, incidentally, which is why they were crap with a Twin Splitter in them. That gearbox was designed for a lugger. I’ve driven Twin Split in ERFs and Ivecos, and difference was profound - especially given that I’ve also driven the same engines with 16-speed synchro’d boxes in as well for comparison. One reason why I would never claim to prefer one gearbox over another based on that one bit of kit alone - you have to look at the whole driveline to be able to answer that question, just as you need to do exactly the same when deciding on an optimum speed. :wink:

Lucy:
It depends on the engine as to whether dropping the top speed helps or hinders, tbh.

My current Stralis is awful on fuel and always has been - a peculiarity of that wagon rather than the model, the others have all been ok. It’s the only 480 we’ve had on distance with the 12 speed gearbox though, so draw your own conclusons… :bulb: :wink:

Anyhow, I eventually found an EDC fault on it which improved things, but not much, so I did a bit of playing around with the driver-controlled limiter on a run the other day which we do regularly.

It normally does a true 91kph - a tad over 56mph. On the Stralis you can bring a screen up which shows you exactly how much fuel you are using moment by moment, as well as taking a trip average. By incrementally knocking it back 2mph until I was down to 52, I got a decent overview of the effect. And, believe it or not, the lower the speed, the worse it got.

The reason? The Iveco Cursor is a spinning engine, NOT a lugger. It needs the revs to stay well up in order to run efficiently. It’s fine sitting at 1350rpm at cruising speed, and will use a lot less juice knocked down to 1200rpm, BUT the payoff is that it then uses far more the second you hit the gentlest of slopes because it’s too far away from the best part of the torque band. Ignore the green band and let it spin up to about 1700-1800rpm and it will keep pulling and use less fuel as a consequence. It sounds utterly against natural logic, but I’ve tested this out a few times and it works.

Iveco engines have always been “spinners”, incidentally, which is why they were crap with a Twin Splitter in them. That gearbox was designed for a lugger. I’ve driven Twin Split in ERFs and Ivecos, and difference was profound - especially given that I’ve also driven the same engines with 16-speed synchro’d boxes in as well for comparison. One reason why I would never claim to prefer one gearbox over another based on that one bit of kit alone - you have to look at the whole driveline to be able to answer that question, just as you need to do exactly the same when deciding on an optimum speed. :wink:

Lucy,do you ever think you might have too much time on your hands? :smiley:

Interesting post though! :wink:

I know I have too much time on my hands. :stuck_out_tongue:

tartanraider:

Lucy:

Lucy,do you ever think you might have too much time on your hands? :smiley:

Interesting post though! :wink:

Let this be a warning to all potential box jockys…to much time on your hands when you don’t touch the load… :wink:

yes I know you are on short sea and do unload yourself Lucy

Does that mean someone’s going to be overtaken by a Chep truck soon!!!■■?

limeyphil all culina’s apart from three trucks are 49mph and it’s a nightmare. All drivers that overtake give you dodgy looks as if it’s your fault.

we’ve just had all our trucks (brakes foodservice solutions) knocked down to 52mph to save on fuel too…

I have a frakin hire Daf 85 thats limited to 52 !
bit strange but hey !

I 've got a 08 fh 440 that goes like a rocket, but I drive at around 50mph on the motorway as I can’t be arsed to be going in and out all the time… :smiley: :smiley:
We are 44t most of the time and my average fuel since June is 7mpg thats off the Dynafleet thingy we have in them. A lot of the miles are in London so its alot of stop start, I also have a HIAB so that uses fuel aswell.

Am I missing something?

You get paid by the hour so what’s the problem?

Not all of us, NMN… :wink:

Lucy:
Not all of us, NMN… :wink:

I meant the trolley dollies, I know the rest of you still work for your living :laughing: :laughing:

I had lorries pulling for Tesco & was paid by the day, I asked my drivers to sit at 50mph, after all there’s no point rushing around doing more miles for the same money, most were ok with it, but a couple of leadfoots couldn’t stand it, personally I liked the fact that I could get 10mpg from a 540 Stralis & it’s much safer as I was never in one of those middle lane congas where everyone is trying to get past someone doing 1/2kmh slower than everyone else, if you’re only doing 50mph it makes you easier to pass too, anything slower than that on a motorway is dangerous though & should be punished by firing squad (Argos Basildon drivers take note)