Just seddon Atkinsons

240 Gardner:
One of a pair of 38T 301 tractors bought direct from John Smiths at Tadcaster, to be local shunters. Fitted with 290bhp engines and Fuller gearboxes, and geared to achieve around 77 mph, they’d been used for trunking between Tadcaster and Wandsworth, apparently. Cost was £5,500 each in 1989.

C635 CUA SA301 by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

This one was kept as a 38-tonner, and ended its days as a yard shunter for W & J Riding:

C635CUA by chris.farnah, on Flickr

The other (never as good) was downplated to 28T and was later sold on to be a bus company recovery vehicle, and is now preserved in that guise:

(Preserved) Merseybus 8071 C486YWY by Alan Sansbury, on Flickr

First lorry I ever bought at 21 years old was C489YWY which must have been part of the same group…

Was an evil awful horrible motor, but f me did it pull,

These courtesy of John Wakely.
Oily

SA John Wakely 8026333864_ec99f6d3bc_jw k.jpg

GREEN MACHINE:
The last Seddon Atkinson i drove 265 RR powered

When did Guest finish, remember seeing their trucks parked up as a kid, think they were near Sparrows Crane Hire on or near the A4

john57:

GREEN MACHINE:
The last Seddon Atkinson i drove 265 RR powered

When did Guest finish, remember seeing their trucks parked up as a kid, think they were near Sparrows Crane Hire on or near the A4

Guest’s were taken over in the mid 80s by the Ollis Group.I did 15 years for them great times. Here’s the last 3 to join the fleet.

Thanks Green Machine, did they only ever run Atkinsons and Seddon Atinsons, and how many trucks did they have.

300 units when new. These ate the job at about 17 tonnes gross

Tubbysboy:
First lorry I ever bought at 21 years old was C489YWY which must have been part of the same group…

Was an evil awful horrible motor, but f me did it pull,

Obviously made some sort of impression, then!

They certainly went well, but CUA was always the better of the two, by far

john57:
Thanks Green Machine, did they only ever run Atkinsons and Seddon Atinsons, and how many trucks did they have.

In the early years Guest’s ran most of the makes around at the time. The Atkinsons arrived in the 60s and stayed to the end,in my days there we ran about 16 Atkinsons and about 10 Bedford 4 wheelers and 1 Bedford artic. This was my favorite motor 290 Rolls powered twin bunks ideal for the wide loads.

And it’s big brother :wink:

7B29EA7C-AEEE-4F81-83FF-D9582D778F40.jpeg

Hi all,
SteelboyF10 great shots of a much missed company.A few more from JR here from the 80’s.Sorry about the car.The XR3i was mine.

Thanks to all who posted so far .

Does anyone know of a restored / preserved strato wide cab 14 litre ■■■■■■■ ?

Punchy Dan:

Only one I know of Dan is that nice Kev Dennis :open_mouth:

steelboyf10:

Punchy Dan:

Only one I know of Dan is that nice Kev Dennis :open_mouth:

Err noooo thanks ,I heard the cabs had it ? :laughing:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYkT7i6Tyw
The strato at 4 mins sounds must be twin splitter :laughing:

Me and the Smog Monster, aptly named as it had an 8 pot, 240, loaded with 2 coils for award Bros. Milton, think this was a Sunday afternoon after loading in Shotton, on the way back to the yard for a flyer Monday.
Ooooh did I not put a card in?, must have been a road test :wink:

2CBD556A-6258-4053-ABF3-EEA89377C13F.jpeg

Bloody predicted text…Ward Bros, Malton