Just clutching at straws......but

would any one know how I would go about being tested for epilepsy? Because after a massive brain injury and some surgery I’ve had my hgv licences revoked by the dvla. Any advice that anyone who has been in a similar situation in the past would also be welcome.

As far as I’m aware, there are no tests that can prove you don’t suffer from epilepsy.

I’ve known a couple of people with Epilepsy when they were younger/Teenagers but have been able to drive cars after some time. I think it’s down to being able to prove that you hav’nt had any fits or whether or not you are on any medication.
It maybe a precaution after your surgery, I would give DVLA a call.
Found this just by Googling HGV Driving & Epilepsy- dvtani.gov.uk/uploads/practi … lRules.pdf

Good luck.

Try this link http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/diagnosis/eeg-electroencephalogram

How is epilepsy triggered? Is it just a case of flashing lights or can a fit come on at any time?

FarnboroughBoy11:
How is epilepsy triggered? Is it just a case of flashing lights or can a fit come on at any time?

My mom had epilepsy in her teens and it wasn’t just flashing or flickering lights that triggered a fit. Things like stress or a lack of sleep used to effect my mom more she says. She eventually grew out of it but had to be 3 years seizure free before she could even think of taking her car test!

a mate of mine has epilepsy and used to have fits when he was younger but then got put on medication that stoped the fits. he wanted to go for his hgv and his docter said if he had’nt had a fit in 10 year he could apply for a hgv licence. howerver he stopped taking his medication and the fits returned.

FarnboroughBoy11, SteveBarnsleytrucker and martinviking:
‘… fit …’

I rarely ‘do’ PC, but since this post is very close to my heart I very respectfully suggest that although the term quoted was once accurate & commonplace, it is now also too often loaded with derogatory stigma since enterring into often light-hearted or flippant cliche, which negatively jars with many upon whom the ghastly and serious condition of epilepsy causes painful blight.

I support those - often professionals in the field - whom suggest the term ‘episode’ be delicately considered as essentially meaning the same but thoughtfully carries less loaded association.

Sincerely yours with respectful thanks

keith

Happy Keith:

FarnboroughBoy11, SteveBarnsleytrucker and martinviking:
‘… fit …’

I rarely ‘do’ PC, but since this post is very close to my heart I very respectfully suggest that although the term quoted was once accurate & commonplace, it is now also too often loaded with derogatory stigma since enterring into often light-hearted or flippant cliche, which negatively jars with many upon whom the ghastly and serious condition of epilepsy causes painful blight.

I support those - often professionals in the field - whom suggest the term ‘episode’ be delicately considered as essentially meaning the same but thoughtfully carries less loaded association.

keith

Sorry ! But what Do Gooding PC Planet are you from ?
I don’t think any of the above replys are taking the ‘■■■■’ they are merely offering their own personal experiences involving this awful condition & nobody meant to offend anyone !

Martin the Viking !

this is also VERY close to my heart my eldest daughter has had epilepsy since age 10 and i don’t see any problem with using “fit” to describe what she goes through from petit mal to a full scale grand mal (spelling?)
as long as people are not being nasty or derogortory about her they can call it what they want,the more its talked about ,the less of a boegy man affliction it is
just remember words don’t hurt its the way they are said
dave

Having researched this recently myself the basics are

1] All the info you need is on the dvla website
2] Driving entitlement relies on a fixed period of being free from events.

There is a difference between sleep episodes and waking episodes form memory. But the route is Informing the Dvla which has obviously been done then they get you to consent to them obtaining medical records from you consultants/gp/nurses. After that you need to reapply after the time restriction, I think its 1yr seizure free it may be longer for the lgv entitlement. All said and done You cant avoid notifying them especially if the seizures are in you records as any accident or episode that would question your fitness would leave you in dire straits if you havent complied with the notification requirement of your license not to ignore the moral responsibility towards others.
All times of reference are from memory and may be wrong but you get the jist

joedwyer1:
would any one know how I would go about being tested for epilepsy? Because after a massive brain injury and some surgery I’ve had my hgv licences revoked by the dvla. Any advice that anyone who has been in a similar situation in the past would also be welcome.

Don’t take the DVLA revocation of your license to heart joe, because isn’t this action taken on the advice of doctors who are only looking after your health and welfare? I’m nearly sure that it’s the case that after a period of time of recuperation that satisfies your doctors they’ll give the go-ahead and you’ll get it back.

Sorry jumped @oldsids gun :blush:

martinviking:
‘…Sorry ! But what Do Gooding PC Planet are you from…?’

Edited to send my response to the ill-bred individual rather than insult the thread

joedwyer1:

I’ve got epilepsy, when I was diagnosed I was told that most people have it and it just takes a certain thing to trigger it, with some people its flashing lights, with me it was a bang on the head, I have been told I will never drive a HGV again, I have got my car licence back now so I suppose that’s something.

As far as I am aware its 10 years fit free and 10 years off the tablets, however its the tablets that are keep me fit free so its catch 22.

Its not a very nice thing to happen to you and I hope that you get sorted out soon.

P.S. Fit doesn’t offend me!!

Solly:

joedwyer1:

Don’t take the DVLA revocation of your license to heart joe, because isn’t this action taken on the advice of doctors who are only looking after your health and welfare? I’m nearly sure that it’s the case that after a period of time of recuperation that satisfies your doctors they’ll give the go-ahead and you’ll get it back.

Neither of us really answered his question, he wants to know hoe to get tested for epilepsy!!!1 I would have thought the neuro team that dealt with the trauma would be the ones to approach, I Know that you can get a sleep study done by referral but epilepsy events are such a variable thing, just going into a stare can be a mild episode, Therefore I would presume it would be down to not seeking attention for or having been in need of formal help for any seizure for the prescribed time which again without checking I think is 1 year but 10 yrs sticks in my mind for some things>

PS apology accepted :smiley:

When I was tested I had a CAT scan and also an MRA scan, the tests they do are unbelivable, I also had something attached to my chest for 24hrs, I had to be referred by my GP for all of these tests…

ok thanks for the replies guys. Guess i’ll be going back to plumbing for a while then :frowning:

oldsid:

Solly:

joedwyer1:

Neither of us really answered his question, he wants to know hoe to get tested for epilepsy!!!1 I would have thought the neuro team that dealt with the trauma would be the ones to approach, I Know that you can get a sleep study done by referral but epilepsy events are such a variable thing, just going into a stare can be a mild episode, Therefore I would presume it would be down to not seeking attention for or having been in need of formal help for any seizure for the prescribed time which again without checking I think is 1 year but 10 yrs sticks in my mind for some things>

PS apology accepted :smiley:

:smiley: Cheers Sid.
You’re right we didn’t answer his question we just offered sympathy which helps I hope.

oldsid:
‘…[None] of us really answered his question, he wants to know how to get tested for epilepsy…!’

Agreed; these might be of some use:

nhs.uk/conditions/epilepsy/p … nosis.aspx

epilepsy.org.uk/info/diagnosis

epilepsyresearch.org.uk/abou … -epilepsy/

Cheers, all

Keith

Likewise, very very close to my heart my Mother died from an epileptic seziure, many years ago, it really depends on what type of epilepsy you suffer grand etc.

I think they can test for epilesy now as we all know different things trigger fits in different ways to sufferers, causes a storm within teh brain and it has to reset … i would recommend you see your GP and ask for a referal for your fits the Barts hospital have good nuero surgeons/doctors.