Just been offered european work

and to be totally honest ■■■■■■■■ a brick, 99.9 per cent sure that I will accept the job… but, is it as bad as I think it’s gonna be? ( Finding my way around, language barriers etc ) Im in a full time job at the moment and a bit hesitant, (.1 percent ) but deep down I know it’s the right move. Any genuine advice greatly received chaps. :bulb:

Pete, take a look through the euro post stickys
and read the links lots of information,there to
help you out,any questions post them here
after doing a search,through the EURO forum
They are lots of dairys on here which will
explain many of the questions you may have
it just requires a slow and through read,
unless you are heading out to those
places where we still have to do customs
then the job has changed and is not so
difficult, you will need to adjust as
most german firms close midday
fridays or around 1600hrs,
France and Italy love their lunch
times, and Austria loves its
saturday1500hrs driveing ban
You will end getting weekended
some where and maybe more
often than you wish,but,
if you do not try it how will you know
if it is good or bad, Me I love the life
as every day is a holiday spent else where
be it Finnland,poland, hungary,italy, etc etc
Go for it any enjoy yourself mate

Well I’d think twice before going abroad because of the quote-Finding my way around, language barriers etc you seem to be
unable to make up your mind, but at least you would be with all other drivers parked up waiting days for reloads, and you
could then learn a new language :laughing: interesting reply on the other thread pete-b :blush:

Regards, English truckdriver doing European work :smiling_imp:

Quote-by pete-b » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:17 pm

ivor biggin wrote:
any special type of “foreigner” drug smokin wife beatin child tamperin or just a truckdriver like the rest of us on here??

Total agreement ivor, too many sanctamonious [zb] on here, we all drive trucks to make a living. Go join the english work thread!
pete-b

Private message

JJSL:
Well I’d think twice before going abroad because of the quote-Finding my way around, language barriers etc you seem to be
unable to make up your mind, but at least you would be with all other drivers parked up waiting days for reloads, and you
could then learn a new language :laughing: interesting reply on the other thread pete-b :blush:

Regards, English truckdriver doing European work :smiling_imp:

Quote-by pete-b » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:17 pm

ivor biggin wrote:
any special type of “foreigner” drug smokin wife beatin child tamperin or just a truckdriver like the rest of us on here??

Total agreement ivor, too many sanctamonious [zb] on here, we all drive trucks to make a living. Go join the english work thread!

pete-b

Private message

It’s NOT a dig at English drivers, the point is, people drive trucks to earn a living, be it in your own country or abroad! Thanks for your advice, duly ignored.

If it is what you want to do and the company appears sound then go for it.
Language barriers don’t worry about it too much the one advantage about British is that there usually someone nearby who speaks enough English to give you a hand, just make sure that as time passes you learn the various greetings in the languages as this does tend to please the natives.
Finding your way around ? maps are international look at one and you will see the route whether it be a French map or a German one.

that somes it up what some drivers think of eu work,pete-b…every day is a holiday.it isnt and you dont always get parked up with uk drivers all the time.i can remember when some drivers would only doitaly/spain in the summer and pack it in when winter came,to many drivers treat eu work as a joke or an extension of their manhood,but its still better than here,so if you get a chance go for it,language ,if you dont know much more folk speak english now than 20yrs ago,paperwork in eu no probs,cmrs,the road systems mostly m/ways unles you can remember some of the old roads but alot of them have weight limits or towns bypassed.go for it because you dont want to end up like a driver who could have done it,be one who has and get it out of your system,you may not like it,but then you may love it,its up to you.

my mistake got pete.b mixed up with brit pete :blush: …no offence pete.b…

folks I stay by my view that every day is a holiday
I have been driveing a long time and live and work
out of Germany, and yes i was driveing when the
borders were not as they are now, when clearing
the customs doing the tankschein ,etc etc, was
what we had to do,with long stays in the douane.
Italy import clearing mornings export in the afternoon,s
only.to name just a little bit of what i encountered,

peteb ,you will make your own mind up
what ever all the best,

ken57:
my mistake got pete.b mixed up with brit pete :blush: …no offence pete.b…

none taken matey :sunglasses:

I’d say go for it, you won’t regret it, you may not like it and pack it in after a while, but you won’t regret doing it. It’ll always be a “string to your bow”
I was “bricking it” 1st time I went over the water, all I had was “load out of Liverpool, address ************ friday afternoon, your booked on the sunday night crossing from Harwich, tipping Duisburg, Germany monday” That was it, on me own, thanks to the Info points and help from members on here I sailed it (pun intended) was a breeze, thoroughly enjoyed it and have been on eurowork ever since {at least ‘til Dec’ when I was made redundant, bleeding bankers :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: and their recession :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: ]
As Britpete says, after the initial apprehensions etc, it is like a holiday every day, my only other language is French, but I can greet in almost all major euro lingos, and it does go a long way, life’s what you make it, and that goes for euro work too, IMHO.
Go for it and try it. :wink: :slight_smile:

if the firm are sound, go for it.
you will soon pick it up.
as others have said, try and learn even just a couple of phrases, in the languages, of the countries you’ll be going too, seems too go down well with the locals, and they’ll prob make more of an effort too help you. even, hand signals help.

if you can read a map over here, you’ll be fine over there.
alot of countries, if they flash you, as you indicate too pull out, it normally means, they are coming through, so hold back, till your sure, you are ok, too pull out.
stay calm, and enjoy it.

I found the weekends went fast,with a bike ride through the local villages.Handy,if your wagon is grounded in a motorway service station.Allways a gate,or gap to climb through,to exit the parking area.Find a swimming pool.Amazing what you see,when you leave the truck,on 15 mile bike ride.
Argos sell decent set of bar bell weights,to do exercises when parked up.Stomach crunchs,to to tone muscles.I would look for a gate,lie on back,feet lodged under gate or metal fence,then abdominal exercise.In the Summer,you could stumble on a local fiesta or local event.Get fresh baked bread in the boulangerie.Bike storage in the trailer,or take wheels off to stow in cab.If in France,quality bikes at “Decathlon” superstore sports shops all over France.Failing that,good pair of running shoes.

Id jump at it. Done loads of van and trailer work all over western europe, would love to go back to it. As long the kit is up to scratch, fuel cards etc. Go for it!

pete-b:
and to be totally honest [zb] a brick, 99.9 per cent sure that I will accept the job… but, is it as bad as I think it’s gonna be? ( Finding my way around, language barriers etc ) Im in a full time job at the moment and a bit hesitant, (.1 percent ) but deep down I know it’s the right move. Any genuine advice greatly received chaps. :bulb:

It will be everything you want it to be, get going with an open mind & never be afraid to ask the advice of others.

Safe Travels

Fly Sheet

tim williams:
I found the weekends went fast,with a bike ride through the local villages.Handy,if your wagon is grounded in a motorway service station.Allways a gate,or gap to climb through,to exit the parking area.Find a swimming pool.Amazing what you see,when you leave the truck,on 15 mile bike ride.
Argos sell decent set of bar bell weights,to do exercises when parked up.Stomach crunchs,to to tone muscles.I would look for a gate,lie on back,feet lodged under gate or metal fence,then abdominal exercise.In the Summer,you could stumble on a local fiesta or local event.Get fresh baked bread in the boulangerie.Bike storage in the trailer,or take wheels off to stow in cab.If in France,quality bikes at “Decathlon” superstore sports shops all over France.Failing that,good pair of running shoes.

Alternatively, find a bar.

i think getting a bike is a good idea, lets not get carried away with multigyms in the back of your lorry wearing spandex.

Harry Monk:

tim williams:

Alternatively, find a bar.

thank goodness for harry. i was pretty horrified at the suggestion of all that. :open_mouth:

And dont forget,over there . . .they drive on the “wrong side of the road” :laughing:

Go for it matey,im retired now but spent 34yrs on the road.I drove for 24yrs on uk work always meaning to go on eu work.When i finally did i loved it,easy to find your way about[good signposting]
treated better,more like a human being and less like a dog on a lead.Food a lot better and better value for money,language no probs as most eu countrys have english as a second language but as said before its good to pick up a few phrases you can use.Be prepared for time away 2/3 weeks unless your on really long hauls.Go for it,i loved it and was sorry i hadn.t started 20yrs earlier.

hey pete,

as the other posters say it is what you make it basically, there are plus points to european transport as well as bad points. i’ve been lucky enough to have worked most of my driving life in europe although i have had a couple of stints in the uk but have always been drawn back to my roots, if the firm you have a job with are ok then give it a go.

if there was some advice to be given it’s this, no matter what anyone on here says only you can decide whether its for you or not and you’ll tend to find the best places to park up for a weekend what i like is maybe the total opposite to what someelse likes. i like macon town centre some will go to the old bp alcotel truckstop some will park on the services etc you find where you want go thats part of what makes the job to me, driving is pretty much the same to be honest although the m/ways are lot quieter in france and spain in general. again you’ll find the best route for you, try a different route so you can vary it a little as some routes are boring after a while especially riems to troyes.

drive safe and enjoy,

steve.