Just A Reminder......

Dented:
Not all old buses raise automatically and likewise sometimes you will have to fight it to get down and stay there. A Volvo b6 I used to drive would auto raise after 30 seconds unless you held the down button down. A pain the fitters didn’t think was worth fixing :frowning:

I have to agree, i used to drive buses in London so very modern buses … and they always get shipped out of london when knackered to other first stagecoach companies etc …

I used to hate the ramp at the rear doors would go out but not go back in … so would have to go mechanical … not a mechanic so not getting out of cab to try and fix it if it didnt work after restarting bus then so be it lol

Something related that happened a long time ago and was observed first hand by a colleague and myself.

Modern bus pulls into bus stop, lowers to kerb and passengers alight/re-board. After a moment the doors move to close but the doors stick, he opens them again and they stick again. They won’t close past the ramp. From our position standing back (awaiting our bus) I at least, could see that the floor had risen slightly when the bus was lowered. You’ll see that a lot with buses!

Driver leaves cab and stands on the floor around the doors and notices it is fouling the bottom of the door and try and force the doors close, that doesn’t work.

Finally standing on the pavement he physically lifted the front door on the frame and tugged it, and it was enough to let the door close.

At which point several things happened. The other door closed and the bus started to move forwards. He had left the handbrake OFF at the bus stop in gear. In gear is a regular thing but the handbrake should be applied, and if leaving the driving seat then it goes into neutral. When the door was open an brake was in place, and when the suspension was down it was preventing the door closing because the ground was pushing it up. The Scania Omnilinks have a system where you have to give a bit of power to get it moving off, but this one didn’t have that.

The bus started it’s trundle down the road. The driver tried to open the door with the emergency door release and found someone had bent the cover and it wouldn’t open. My brain doesn’t always work too fast but my Polish colleague calmly walked to the back, lifted the bonnet and hit the emergency stop.

At which point, he climbed in through the emergency door at the back offside of the bus, scrambling in and closing the door behind him, went to the front of the bus, popped the handbrake on and opened the door. The driver was bright red and started to splutter some sort of reply and he he just shrugged it off and said we all have bad days and left it at that! :smiley: Technically it should have been reported, but we weren’t going to drop him in it and besides, you’ll soon find out who you can trust and who will stab you in the back with your fellow drivers…

dar1976 :neutral_face::
Yes it is of great help. 3rd is the worst gear to get whether going up or down. And 2nd and reverse are very close together when going down the box.

Just have to remind myself that it will be auto buses after Thursday if I pass. Press D and go… :smiley:

Good luck to morrow, I also found that reverse and second are a bit too close . !!! . Also got fifth instead of third on a few occasions . Lucily the examiner said it wa a good safe drive and I passed . Shows how important it is never to mark yourself on a test . Good luck to morrow and remember to go through neutral .

Good luck for tomorrow. I seem to recall suggesting you could pass this test on 6 hours or thereabouts. So the time you’ve had you really should have no problem.

Positive mental attitude and a bucketfull of concentration. Sorted.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

keeping fingers crossed fer ya tomorrow matey just be calm and give the drive of ya life we will all be rootin fer ya

all the best

Jen x

Thanks guys and girls.

Although after today’s performance… It’s anyone’s guess.

I’m driving it like a lorry and forgetting the comfort of my passengers. I just can’t seem to get the fine line between making progress and not over accelerating to allow for ‘the comfort and safety of your passengers’.

Also leaving braking too late and not slowing down in enough time for junctions.

My trainer says it’s a perfect drive for a lorry driver… but I just need to be more considerate to my ‘cargo’.

Just hoping I can get my head round it tomorrow morning.

Test scheduled for 1pm so will give me a chance to have coffee and lunch. Also gives me the chance to get rid of any niggles in the morning.

Again thanks for your support guys. It means a lot.

Dean

Good luck Mate , I know you can do it :smiley:

Steve

Dean

Good luck - just take it nice and steady . :grimacing:

Good luck with your bus test today Dean.

Hi dean you are probably waiting at the test centre at the moment so good luck and i hope its good news for you this afternoon

regards
john

I know you are all dying to hear the result.

7 Minors…

And…

A Blue Piece Of Paper :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Can’t believe some of the silly mistakes I made. Thought I’d failed at one point. But glad I kept my composure.

Thanks all for your support through this.

Just the CPC Modules to do now and then I can go out on service.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Fantastic news. Congratulations Dean, very well done.

Ding Ding, move down the bus please.
Mike

A Blue Piece Of Paper

That’s what’s wanted! Well done Dean.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Great news Dean. Like many others on here, I have been following your progress and your diary. I am sure many of us are pleased to hear your good news.

Alan
(p.s. will you be setting up another profile as Stan Butler? :slight_smile: )

Dean

WELL DONE MATE

Steve

Dean

Well done , glad you passed - at least a few minors should stop any driver becoming over confident . I dont drive for a living but booking a few CPC courses - surprised at the wide variation in cost - ranging from £50 to £150 per day

John

Many thanks for the congrats.

Just gotta get the Mod 2 & 4 in the bag and then it’s a sealed deal.

Had a few bevvies tonight to celebrate as no driving tomorrow. Won’t be doing much of that. Company policy is 14ml of alc per hundred of blood.

Don’t want to lose it now I’ve got it :wink:

way to go matey brilliant result knew you would do it congratulations

Now when you interviewing for clippies :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jx

As soon as you are ready to apply :wink: x

OH NO!!! not another cynical ex trucker on the buses :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: welcome aboard . have fun with the drivegreen/punters/car drivers etc best of luck :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: