Just A Reminder......

… for those of you that are interested, the blog has been updated daily with my progress.

traineebusdriver.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend :slight_smile:

Nice read and pics, dont beat yourself up about a bad day doesnt do no good and besides it happens to every one. Not sure id want to put up with carrying people but there a again i see many buses fairly empty so maybe wouldnt be so bad :laughing:

Best of luck with the tests :slight_smile:

Phil

Hi Dean. Just read the blog. It’s time to get your head out of your hands now and relax over the weekend. Looks like the vehicle is a Dennis Javelin, Plaxton body, ■■■■■■■ engine with ZF six speed box which probably has a gear lever similar to a pudding stick! It’s a 12 metre which is the old maximum length and is interesting to anyone who hasn’t driven large vehicles before. But, as you’ve found, it’s not that hard.

I recall when I got a coach driving job many years ago, the operator accused me of “■■■■■■■■ stretching” during my trial drive. (I was a teenager and knew it all!!!) Since which time I’ve realised the importance of giving a smooth, controlled drive. And I know you can do it cos I’ve seen you do it.

So all will be well for next week provided you behave!!

All the very best with it Dean. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pudding stick is putting it mildly. It’s more like stirring treacle in a tub of ice cubes.

Couldn’t tell you the spec of the coach. All I have been told is that it’s a 10l engine. It’s got a 6sp Manual box.

Lovely to drive once the box warms up but a right arse first thing in the morning.

Just going to chill tonight and read through the theory stuff.

Thanks for your words of encouragement Pete and Phil.

Have a great weekend :slight_smile:

Remember this Dean? :wink: Stick in there mate!

posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=1127992

“[zb] stretching”

That’s the first time I’ve been censored! So it makes sense I’ll try “bottom hole stretching” and see if that works!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

“[zb] stretching”

That’s the first time I’ve been censored! So it makes sense I’ll try “bottom hole stretching” and see if that works!!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You are in with the clique now :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:
Remember this Dean? :wink: Stick in there mate!

posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=1127992

Fair point. Just wasn’t expecting a day like today.

Got to drive a double decker the other day , :wink: About 15 years old ,ex first bus glasgow . theres a guy locally who converts them into play busses apparently .
The delivery drivers bought two of them down, couldnt find the delivery address , so abandoned them in a pub car park :unamused: near to our haulage yard .
Anyway got to have a play round our yard with one , no ignition key just a start button after switching the lights on :confused: push a button for forward or reverse and away you go :grimacing:

we did consider going to the local park and ride and undercutting the local arriva service :wink: , would make a change from tipper/hooklift work …

Good luck for next week mate

cheers Mike

Theory Test Passed. 96/100 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It is important to remember the comfort of the passengers, even if the road has potholes and the like. Then again, it is always worth remembering the front and rear overhangs, the lowered step you forgot to lift back up again :open_mouth: :unamused: :open_mouth: and whatever you do, try not mount kassel kerbs with any of the wheels of the bus, even if you were trying to get 'nice ‘n close’ for the old diddies to get on :wink:

You may also find that after getting your D licence you won’t have the time or the inclination to continue writing blogs coupled with the managements insistence that you do not partake of such evil things.

There are plenty of bloggers in all professions that have had this problem, so you’re not alone there.

A friend of mine with Stagecoach in ■■■■■■■ trained on a coach and has since transferred across two other areas before being returned to ■■■■■■■ for a quieter life!

If you can cope with the buses, the driving, the antisocial and abusive passengers and a bit of swearing, smoking dope, spitting, gross indecency and fouling the service they are using and you are driving then I’m sure you’d make a great driver :wink:

Dented:
If you can cope with the buses, the driving, the antisocial and abusive passengers and a bit of swearing, smoking dope, spitting, gross indecency and fouling the service they are using and you are driving then I’m sure you’d make a great driver :wink:

that’ll be me sticking to waggons then… :slight_smile: i haven’t been on a bus in years and can only imagine what late busses must be like on a friday night :open_mouth:

I must admit the idea of drunks at night and school kids at school run times is a bit daunting, although apparently it’ll be a while before I am let loose on a school bus. (breathes sighs of relief)

Hi Dean. A couple of pointers for driving elderly Volvo coaches. You say the gear change is tighter than on the Dennis. That’s good cos that’s how it should be. The secret to happy gear changing with the Volvo is to remember first of all that the gear change “settles” between 3rd and 4th. Normal move off gear is 2nd (unless they are insisting on 1st in which case this principle is still the same). To engage 2nd from neutral, don’t hold the stick at all, simply place the palm of your left hand on the side of the gear lever so that the palm of your hand is facing the entrance door. Move the lever gently to the left until you feel the gentle resistance of the reverse guard. Having reached that position, curl your fingers around the leading edge of the gear lever (so your fingers are closest to the dash) and draw the lever back.

You will always get 2nd without any problem. Regardless of what gear you’re approaching 2nd gear from, you will always go through neutral so adopt the above and you’re sorted.

2nd to 3rd. Push the lever straight forward and let go of it altogether. Let it find it’s position and ease it forward into 3rd. 3rd to 4th is easy. 4th to 5th - Push out of 4th, cup your hand the other way round so your palm is facing the driving seat, stick towards you then forwards. 5th to 6th, keep the pressure towards the driving seat.

The other one that causes trouble can be 6th or 5th to 4th or 3rd. Just remember to let go of the stick altogether when it’s in neutral and then ease it into the correct gear.

All changes are slow. Work every gear change as 2 actions ie out of one gear, into neutral. Then from neutral into the next gear. Whilst it’s in neutral, take a deep breath and let the revs die.

These are the secrets for happy gear changing in that type of vehicle and I hope they help. All the best Dean. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You make it sound a pleasure to drive Pete :slight_smile: Gently easing the gears in and out as if floating on hot oil… :smiley:

I found friday nights ok. It was saturday night and some weeknights!

Yes it is of great help. 3rd is the worst gear to get whether going up or down. And 2nd and reverse are very close together when going down the box.

Just have to remind myself that it will be auto buses after Thursday if I pass. Press D and go… :smiley:

Should be able to skip 3rd going up as long as you give it a bit of wellie in 2nd. Coming down into 3rd, double declutch and it should go straight in. Approach from 4th if you can. If not, make sure you let go of the stick so it has time to settle.

Have fun! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Dented:
It is important to remember the comfort of the passengers, even if the road has potholes and the like. Then again, it is always worth remembering the front and rear overhangs, the lowered step you forgot to lift back up again :open_mouth: :unamused: :open_mouth: and whatever you do, try not mount kassel kerbs with any of the wheels of the bus, even if you were trying to get 'nice ‘n close’ for the old diddies to get on :wink:

You may also find that after getting your D licence you won’t have the time or the inclination to continue writing blogs coupled with the managements insistence that you do not partake of such evil things.

There are plenty of bloggers in all professions that have had this problem, so you’re not alone there.

A friend of mine with Stagecoach in ■■■■■■■ trained on a coach and has since transferred across two other areas before being returned to ■■■■■■■ for a quieter life!

Normally whern you kneel a bus for old folk prams it normally raised as soon as the Handbrake is released did when i drove them back in the day

Not all old buses raise automatically and likewise sometimes you will have to fight it to get down and stay there. A Volvo b6 I used to drive would auto raise after 30 seconds unless you held the down button down. A pain the fitters didn’t think was worth fixing :frowning: