Jury Service - Other Work?

christ help the haulage industry if that was a genuine question…theres no answer to that.

robroy:

The-Snowman:
Maybe its just me but I couldnt be arsed with all that worrying about whats the “right” way.
Id just do the jury service, use my card on the days when I was working and get on with life without fretting over a few days.
Its hardly going to result in them burning your license and shooting your wife and kids infront of you so I wouldnt worry about it.

So it aint just me then, I was starting to feel left out. :smiley:

Lol
Sorry Rob, I didnt read all the replies and didnt realise you’d said pretty much the same thing

Boris1971:
I would of assumed before reading these posts that it is other work due to the fact u get paid for jury service (not much I know)and this would be like any other paid work.

It’s not work, it’s a civic duty. A person has the right to decline work, a person does not have the right to decline to undertake a civic duty.

Where’d you stand if you’re self employed and on a long case? If you go bust is it just “oh well, civic duty” or can you inform them of your circumstances?
Never done Jury Service myself and I wouldn’t want to, especially if it’s a fraud trial I’d fall asleep.

The-Snowman:
Maybe its just me but I couldnt be arsed with all that worrying about whats the “right” way.
Id just do the jury service, use my card on the days when I was working and get on with life without fretting over a few days.
Its hardly going to result in them burning your license and shooting your wife and kids infront of you so I wouldnt worry about it.

^
This
I couldnt be arsed with worrying about this kind of thing either. Theres one thing sticking to driving regs and theres another going completely overboard with it. What you do in your own time and where has absolutely nothing to do with VOSA…

Winseer:
When I did Jury service, the court refunded the difference between “what I would normally get paid for two week’s work at my regular job” and “what I get whilst effectively off-sick paid” which was the way the firm dealt with it.

Since I was normally putting in around 18 hours per week overtime at that time, got a night shift allowance, a bonus payment for driving C+E… I had this full differnece refunded.

with NO tax deduction of course as well.

The net result was that I was working effectively 9-5 for the only time in my life - for full 12 hour shift night pay - tax free.

Made nearly £800 out of it over the fortnight. The court pays the difference - but I was asked to get a letter from my employer stating what my real actual on-paper drop in pay was going to be - before the court would pay it off as “expenses”…

I understand the deal wasn’t much cop for those people Self-Employed on the jury… “Time is money” to them, and they wanted it all wrapped up in the next five minutes…

I am employed (not self-employed or agency). I’d be interested to know how you managed to get more than the maximum loss of earnings compensation.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Ahh this old chestnut again :slight_smile:

The truth is that it would probably take a court case to decide whether jury service can be counted as rest or not, personally I would say jury service done in the same week as driving in-scope of EU regulations can’t be counted as rest for the drivers hours regulations, so therefore if you’re going to bother about it at-all, it should be recorded as other work.

This has been discussed before.
Does jury duty count as working time?

Latique:

Roymondo:
I see where you are both coming from, but it is slightly complicated by the fact that on any day(s) I am not required in court, I will be going in to work as normal. I’ll be in the same position as say a part time driver who works in a different job as well, won’t I?

From experiance you wont have any days like that you will be sat around waiting for a case or dealing with a case 09.30am -4.30pm unless youre planning to drive outside those hours ?

the court re imburse any lost wages and travel so you have to stay there all day so you will need the kindle unless you get a juicy case that lasts the whole time your there

It doesn’t work that way here. Everyone turns up on Day One of the first week. Most will get allocated to one of the cases scheduled, the remainder get released around lunchtime. They then have to phone a special number in the evening to find out if they are on the list of jurors needed for the following day. This continues for the rest of the week. My son did his first week of Jury Service last week and apart from Monday morning spent the whole week at home.

Today I was allocated to a trial but before we’d even been sworn in they announced it wasn’t going ahead (guilty plea) so I was discharged before lunch. I did stick around long enough for the free feed though :slight_smile: I’ll be phoning in later this afternoon and, if not required tomorrow I’ll be going to work as normal.

tachograph:
Ahh this old chestnut again :slight_smile:

The truth is that it would probably take a court case to decide whether jury service can be counted as rest or not, personally I would say jury service done in the same week as driving in-scope of EU regulations can’t be counted as rest for the drivers hours regulations, so therefore if you’re going to bother about it at-all, it should be recorded as other work.

This has been discussed before.
Does jury duty count as working time?

Personally, the question I would ask to ascertain whether jury service is “other work” is “Would DVSA expect an HGV driver to do a print-out covering times spent on jury service when he returned to work?” and my view is that the answer is firmly “No”, therefore it isn’t “other work”.

Roymondo:
Starting a fortnight’s Jury Service today. Presumably if going by the book this would be classed as Other Work (or POA if the time is spent simply hanging around waiting)?

And yes, I have a well stocked Kindle in my pocket :wink:

Ok. I was called last February this is what happened in my circumstances.

My company agreed to pay me my average earnings for the duration of my service.

The court at which you will be serving will reimburse you for parking (up to a certain amount , think it was a fiver) receipts required.

They also paid you about £34 if you were in court for up to 4 hours and this increased to about £65 if you were needed all day.

There was also a daily meal allowance which you simply claimed for on the paperwork provided by the court. All these allowances are explained by the court usher on your first day. I took a packed lunch there are usually fridges available bin the waiting room.

However, because my company were paying me an average wage I was required to pay back to my employer the amount that the court paid daily.

In reality, i kept the parking fees because that was a personal expence and my daily meal allowance and re paid the balance to my bosses.

I didn’t really lose that much to be honest.

However, on the Friday of both weeks I wasn’t required so I just booked it as holiday. I wasn’t going in for one day especially a Friday.

It all came right at the end.

As for recording the time for wtd purposes I simply told the office how many hours I was actually needed in court and they booked that down as working time and holiday was 8 hours per day. I don’t think I got near a 40 hour week.

No print out needed. Simply carry your jury summons ( or a photo copy) of it with you for the 28 day period. No vosa operative would even dare to check it all out.

Hope that explanation covers any concerns.

Oh, try and enjoy it. I did!

Mick.

I wouldn’t do jury service, it would bore me brainless. I would ask for an exemption on the grounds that “I have a long-standing hostility towards the Police and therefore feel I would not be able to come to an impartial decision regarding the guilt or innocence of a defendant”. They would have me out of the door like a shot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:
I wouldn’t do jury service, it would bore me brainless. I would ask for an exemption on the grounds that “I have a long-standing hostility towards the Police and therefore feel I would not be able to come to an impartial decision regarding the guilt or innocence of a defendant”. They would have me out of the door like a shot. :stuck_out_tongue:

The guy I referred to before, my mate who done jury service, had Assault on a Police officer on his record, so I doubt that your exemption would stand tbh.

I think a far better approach would be to attach a note to your returned Jury summons stating that you look forward to convicting a few people and seeing them sent to prison regardless of the odd “technicality”.

Harry Monk:

They should do an opt out like the edited electoral register, I bet there are just as many people who’d love to do it as those who don’t. I don’t go for all this civic duty, plastic patriotism crap, thus I would do JS under protest.

Roymondo:
I think a far better approach would be to attach a note to your returned Jury summons stating that you look forward to convicting a few people and seeing them sent to prison regardless of the odd “technicality”.

Yes, either or really. Just suggest that your approach to any trial in which you were a jury member might be somewhat partisan. Although I’m told the easiest way to get out of jury service is to suggest that you are hard of hearing and might not be able to hear everything that was said.

Roymondo:
I see where you are both coming from, but it is slightly complicated by the fact that on any day(s) I am not required in court, I will be going in to work as normal. I’ll be in the same position as say a part time driver who works in a different job as well, won’t I?

When you get your employer to fill in the form make sure he puts down that you can’t go back for part days full days or before the two weeks that way they have to pay you for the full two weeks . I did it in august and came away with over £800 with meal allowance ect . And there is still nowt to stop you going in if you are able too . If you put any thing else they won’t pay for the time you are not at the court

When I did it, I got lucky, I got a case that ran for 11 working days, this meant I fell into a bracket that paid up to a value that was more than my salary at the time. So I didn’t “lose” any wages. By the time I had taken my butties in everyday, I was about £30 better off. But because its all paid in one lump at about a couple of weeks later, I felt very rich! I was only 23 I think at the time.

Nothing to keep but my ■■■■ at the time.

Jesus h wept! I can’t believe the amount of analy retentive, navel gazing, bullcrap that starts when somebody asks some ■■■■ question about tacho’s.Go do jury service–if you don’t go back to work, Vosa or whatever they’re called this week ain’t going smash your door down in a dawn raid just cos you didn’t tell them something thet don’t particularly need to know— THEY DON’T OWN YOU JUST COS YOU POSSESS A DIGI-CARD!!!, Jeeez :unamused:

GOG47:
Jesus h wept! I can’t believe the amount of analy retentive, navel gazing, bullcrap that starts when somebody asks some ■■■■ question about tacho’s.Go do jury service–if you don’t go back to work, Vosa or whatever they’re called this week ain’t going smash your door down in a dawn raid just cos you didn’t tell them something thet don’t particularly need to know— THEY DON’T OWN YOU JUST COS YOU POSSESS A DIGI-CARD!!!, Jeeez :unamused:

Its not only tachos, anything with a legal edge to it some get themselves into a right quandry over it and get uppity when others do things their own way…

Strange how a simple query can result in (at last count) three different drivers making comments about dawn raids, SWAT teams, waterboarding and family members being shot without any reference in the OP to anything of the sort. Now, either someone (or three of them at least) is easily excited or they have been reading too many cheap paperbacks than is good for their blood pressure. Get a grip, lads, get a grip…