Jury Service - Other Work?

Starting a fortnight’s Jury Service today. Presumably if going by the book this would be classed as Other Work (or POA if the time is spent simply hanging around waiting)?

And yes, I have a well stocked Kindle in my pocket :wink:

Sent using smoke and mirrors

No, because it is not connected with driving a vehicle in any way. If you insisted on classing it as anything, it wold be a rest period.

Harry Monk:
No, because it is not connected with driving a vehicle in any way. If you insisted on classing it as anything, it wold be a rest period.

Agreed

IF it came under anything it would be the normal WTD not the drivers WTD and those two sorts of WTD do not get added together

Perhaps doing a single manual entry on printout paper covering the two weeks might be a good idea

I see where you are both coming from, but it is slightly complicated by the fact that on any day(s) I am not required in court, I will be going in to work as normal. I’ll be in the same position as say a part time driver who works in a different job as well, won’t I?

Are you being paid any monies by your employer when doing jury service ?

Roymondo:
I see where you are both coming from, but it is slightly complicated by the fact that on any day(s) I am not required in court, I will be going in to work as normal. I’ll be in the same position as say a part time driver who works in a different job as well, won’t I?

I’d say it would be no different to a working week where you had to take Tuesday off to go to the Doctor and Thursday off to go to the dentist, neither would be relevant to your working time. Jury service isn’t considered to be work.

Harry Monk:

Roymondo:

I’d say it would be no different to a working week where you had to take Tuesday off to go to the Doctor and Thursday off to go to the dentist, neither would be relevant to your working time. Jury service isn’t considered to be work.

Yes, that makes sense Harry. Thanks

To keep things down to earth here.
He does his jury service, starts back at work, gets pulled and is routinely asked if he has been off for the week.
He tells them ‘‘Yeh, been on jury service’’ …but no manual entry.

Will a SWAT team appear telling him to lie face down on the ground? and before he knows it he will find himself being waterboarded?..I doubt it
Call me optimistic but I reckon Mr VOSA or whoever will just accept his explanation, and the worst thing that can happen he will check the validity of it…or likely not.
If it was me I would not gaf. :neutral_face:
Am I in a minority here, if so my apologies for not taking it seriously.
I’ll try harded next time…promise. :blush:
Sorry guys, just can’t be arsed with all this ■■■■■■■■. Keep your card right, don’t go over, take proper rests and job sorted, works for me anyway. :bulb:

ROG:

No chance - I work for one of the large logistics companies :wink:

Roymondo:

ROG:

No chance - I work for one of the large logistics companies :wink:

Then its not work so can be counted as rest for the regs which in turn is a issue because it could be argued that the time is not yours to do with as you wish … oooh my head …

Q: How does time taken off for jury leave, union duties, disciplinary suspension
etc affect the “working time” calculation?
A: The requirement to add-in notional “working time” figures only applies to statutory
annual leave provided by regulation 13 of the 1998 Regulations, sick leave, maternity,
paternity, adoption or parental leave (as mentioned in Section 3.6). The prescribed
notional figures do not have to be included for time off for any other reasons (such as
jury leave, union duties, or disciplinary suspension).

transportsfriend.org/pdf_fil … idance.pdf

Working time regs is one thing but the EU regs and the rest requirements is another

Harry - is it rest for the EU regs when the driver cannot do as they please ?

This would not be an issue if no EU regs driving was done in the same fixed week jury service was done

ROG:
Working time regs is one thing but the EU regs and the rest requirements is another

Harry - is it rest for the EU regs when the driver cannot do as they please ?

This would not be an issue if no EU regs driving was done in the same fixed week jury service was done

I personally would interpret a driver “being free to dispose of his time as he chooses” as meaning “not being under the direction of an employer”. I would not personally say that a driver would be expected to do a manual print-out covering time spent on jury service, therefore it cannot be considered to have anything to do with work. However, as I say, this would be my interpretation of it, nowhere, as far as I am aware, is jury service specifically mentioned in tachograph legislation.

Roymondo:

From experiance you wont have any days like that you will be sat around waiting for a case or dealing with a case 09.30am -4.30pm unless youre planning to drive outside those hours ?

the court re imburse any lost wages and travel so you have to stay there all day so you will need the kindle unless you get a juicy case that lasts the whole time your there

Don’t forget to claim for loss of earnings.

Maybe its just me but I couldnt be arsed with all that worrying about whats the “right” way.
Id just do the jury service, use my card on the days when I was working and get on with life without fretting over a few days.
Its hardly going to result in them burning your license and shooting your wife and kids infront of you so I wouldnt worry about it.

Latique:
the court re imburse any lost wages and travel

No they do not, they pay you what THEY consider is sufficient, and sure as hell no where near what the solicitors and court officials are on for their days at court. :smiling_imp:
My mate was about 400 quid down when he went.
It’s all wrong, it should be as you say re.imbursement for the usual wage and costs incurred, not what some bloody jumped up Civil Servant sees fit to ‘allow’

The-Snowman:
Maybe its just me but I couldnt be arsed with all that worrying about whats the “right” way.
Id just do the jury service, use my card on the days when I was working and get on with life without fretting over a few days.
Its hardly going to result in them burning your license and shooting your wife and kids infront of you so I wouldnt worry about it.

So it aint just me then, I was starting to feel left out. :smiley:

When I did Jury service, the court refunded the difference between “what I would normally get paid for two week’s work at my regular job” and “what I get whilst effectively off-sick paid” which was the way the firm dealt with it.

Since I was normally putting in around 18 hours per week overtime at that time, got a night shift allowance, a bonus payment for driving C+E… I had this full differnece refunded.

with NO tax deduction of course as well.

The net result was that I was working effectively 9-5 for the only time in my life - for full 12 hour shift night pay - tax free.

Made nearly £800 out of it over the fortnight. The court pays the difference - but I was asked to get a letter from my employer stating what my real actual on-paper drop in pay was going to be - before the court would pay it off as “expenses”…

I understand the deal wasn’t much cop for those people Self-Employed on the jury… “Time is money” to them, and they wanted it all wrapped up in the next five minutes…

I would of assumed before reading these posts that it is other work due to the fact u get paid for jury service (not much I know)and this would be like any other paid work. If worked a full week and done a weeks jury service and started work again without sufficient eu rests and had a accident it would be a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk