Junctions/Roundabouts

Why is it that artics NEVER seem to stop/slow down/give way at junctions and roundabouts? :imp:

Many a time I have came onto a roundabout or junction, when an artic just decides to pull out infront and I have to slam my brakes on or end up going into the trailer? Why is this?

Seems to be mainly dutch/irish trucks that are the worst at this?

Is it because you’re in an artic, and you are bigger and better than other road users? It really annoys me when this happens…

This isnt a rant against all truckers, as I understand the vital job you guys do considering the conditions you have sometimes have to put up with…and I intend to pass my C+E once age and funds allow anyway! :smiley:

Its just something thats always annoyed me, and I wonder if there’s a reason for this type of “attitude”?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Almost all Irish drivers are like that. :unamused:

I say almost, as I’ve yet to see a good one, but I live in hope. :wink:

I guess the Dutch ones have to commit to the roundabout earlier as swinging to the left to initially join a roundabout cuts their right view down. Just a guess.

DJ_Trucker:
Why is it that artics NEVER seem to stop/slow down/give way at junctions and roundabouts? :imp:

Many a time I have came onto a roundabout or junction, when an artic just decides to pull out infront and I have to slam my brakes on or end up going into the trailer? Why is this?

Is it because you’re in an artic, and you are bigger and better than other road users? It really annoys me when this happens…

This isnt a rant against all truckers, as I understand the vital job you guys do considering the conditions you have sometimes have to put up with…and I intend to pass my C+E once age and funds allow anyway! :smiley:

Its just something thats always annoyed me, and I wonder if there’s a reason for this type of “attitude”?

Just bad inconsiderate driving from the few who give the rest a bad name IMO

Also forgive the ones that are already pulling onto the roundabout before you appeared .
But due to the roundabout maybe being on a slight slope and the truck fully loaded they are still in the way when you appear .
Due to this situation that is normally known as heavy as â– â– â– â–  , the truck has the right of way as it was already on the roundabout .
The amount of people that don’t get that one and start flashing lights and papping the horn :unamused:
Same rule applies if you have decided to enter the roundabout at about 70 mph and something funnily enough ends up being in the way .

Foreigners can do what they want on our roads , they can even stop on roundabouts and block it up to have a look at a map or get out and ask directions .

paul@midway:
Foreigners can do what they want on our roads , they can even stop on roundabouts and block it up to have a look at a map or get out and ask directions .

â– â– â– â–  :blush: - I forgot that highway code rule :wink: :wink: :laughing:

macplaxton:

I guess the Dutch ones have to commit to the roundabout earlier as swinging to the left to initially join a roundabout cuts their right view down. Just a guess.

Then u havent seen me drive. Im irish and obey every law on the roads in this country including tacho rules and speed limits etc. Your jst making comments on this cause nearly every irish truck u see is been driven by an eastern european who don give a monkeys

paul@midway:
Also forgive the ones that are already pulling onto the roundabout before you appeared .
But due to the roundabout maybe being on a slight slope and the truck fully loaded they are still in the way when you appear .
Due to this situation that is normally known as heavy as [zb] , the truck has the right of way as it was already on the roundabout .
The amount of people that don’t get that one and start flashing lights and papping the horn :unamused:
Same rule applies if you have decided to enter the roundabout at about 70 mph and something funnily enough ends up being in the way .

Well said that man.

DJ_Trucker:

think its because were a bit like millwall f.c, NOBODY LIKE US BUT WE DONT CARE

Kate:

paul@midway:
Due to this situation that is normally known as heavy as [zb] , the truck has the right of way as it was already on the roundabout .

Well said that man.

Seconded.

DJ_Trucker:

Because you’re a crap driver. Is something 53ft long and 14ft high not big enough to see?

Don’t bother taking your C+E because unless you can manage to actually THINK whilst driving, you’ll end up ploughing into someone the first time out.

I think this question should asked:-
Did it go and then see you or did it see you then go?

acceptme:

macplaxton:

Then u havent seen me drive. Im irish and obey every law on the roads in this country including tacho rules and speed limits etc. Your jst making comments on this cause nearly every irish truck u see is been driven by an eastern european who don give a monkeys

I did say “almost” and “I’ve yet to see a good one”. I didn’t say that they were all bad, so please don’t take it personally. I look forward to seeing you out on the road as it will be a pleasant to see a vehicle that is travelling at the correct speed through the roadworks on the M50. I’m making comments on all types of vehicle driven by Irish, Polish, Lithuanian and anyone else in the Dublin area. Overall the standard isn’t that great and is reflected in the accident statistics for Ireland and my car insurance which is three times more expensive than it was in the UK.

A few points to clear up I think…

paul@midway:

I talking about the trucks that are stationery at the roundabout, and then just decide to pull out because they feel like it. Im not talking about the ones that are approaching the roundabout, as I can understand the amount of weight that’s behind the cab…so its hardly going to stop instantly!

Why is it that some trucks do it, and others dont then?

Conor:
Because you’re a crap driver. Is something 53ft long and 14ft high not big enough to see?

Don’t bother taking your C+E because unless you can manage to actually THINK whilst driving, you’ll end up ploughing into someone the first time out.

Yeah, I can see it as im already on the roundabout and the truck is stopped…but the driver see’s a tiny space and decides to pull out anyway. Thats what I dont understand. As you are stationery, surely you can wait until there’s a decent space before pulling out?

Is it because the truck is that much bigger/higher, so if you do hit a car…you’ll be alright, you’ll not have your vehicle wrote off/smashed up etc?

Being a member of the IAM, I would hardly consider myself a “crap driver”.

Its some of these truck driver that are “crap drivers”… :unamused:

ROG:

Some common sense prevails…

Its trucks that “see me and then go”…the ones that are already stopped.

You already know the answer why .

Whats the point in asking â– â– ?

I think I might go to a car forum and ask them why they cut trucks up , or pull out in front of them …
Or maybe not as I already know why …

:wink:

You must get through some cars driving into the trailers , does this common sense that prevails not tell you to brake :laughing: :laughing:

In general, where do car drivers look when approaching a roundabout - RIGHT ONLY - you can see their heads straining out of the right window to see that gap - do they look left (or anywhere else) - NO They have no idea what is pulling out of the next exit and only find out once they have committed themselves onto the roundabout at speed. They then rely on their reactions to avoid a problem which they could have anticipated.
I have a saying to my trainees “why are you looking at the vehicles that are stopping you from going? - LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE” - wether this is taught to car drivers, I do not know as I don’t teach “B”

DJ_Trucker:

Why is it that car drivers NEVER seem to stop/slow down/give way whenever there is a large vehicle in the vicinity that might hamper their journey by a few seconds? :imp:

DJ_Trucker:

Because you haven’t looked ahead, because you were only looking to the right, because you were travelling too fast, because you have no idea of other road users needs - take your pick.

DJ_Trucker:

Yes, of course it is - because we have the option of sitting there all day and annoying the traffic behind us also queueing for the roundabout. When will you be complaining about being stuck behind a lorry who hasn’t pulled onto the roundabout quick enough for you?

DJ_Trucker:
This isnt a rant against all truckers, as I understand the vital job you guys do considering the conditions you have sometimes have to put up with…

Yes it is - you patronising, clueless numpty

DJ_Trucker:
and I intend to pass my C+E once age and funds allow anyway! :smiley:

Please don’t

DJ_Trucker:
ts just something thats always annoyed me, and I wonder if there’s a reason for this type of “attitude”?

It’s done purely to annoy you. Nothing to do with making proper progress, or the fact that on many roads, at certain times of the day, there is no gap big enough in the oncoming traffic to get out without upsetting someone.

DJ_Trucker:

You’re very welcome :wink:

At busy times, a large vehicle MAY have to slightly inconvenience other road users to make reasonable progress or, as someone has pointed out, they would form a huge queue behind them whilst waiting for ages to go. This is a fact of real life driving. Most LGV drivers can anticipate if the vehicle from the right has enough time to react safely but cannot anticipate those that do not look further than the bonnet.

The DSA do not allow someone on test to do this and they mark it as serious and therefore a test fail - the DSA do not test for real life driving, they expect the trainee on test to wait & wait & wait… Oh finally, after 10 mins there is a gap!!! - now got massive queue behind - examiner not bothered but I bet the drivers behind are :angry:

I am not having a pop at anyone in particular in writing this but this is a fact of real life driving - yes, there will always be the “bullies” in LGvs but, in general, they are in the minority.

ROG:

Like the Sainsburys artic in Basingstoke earlier this afternoon who stopped at the roundabout because he saw me coming THEN pulled out in front of me, forcing me to do an emergency stop which wasnt that easy in a 7t bus full of passengers :smiling_imp:

…and i was told many years ago when learning to drive a truck that it was with a bit of luck and reading the roads NOT to have to stop at a roundabout

you only have to give way to traffic from your right. But these days with more and more traffic and most i wold say 75% of motorist DONOT indicate which exit thier about to leave to
So if im one of the artic drivers who pulls onto a roundabout and you are not indicating and have not entered directly onto the roundabout from my right WATCHOUT because im coming
Also lefthand drive trucks on british roundabouts are a nightmare when im in a lefthooker i take at least 2 lanes to straighten the approch angle and again hope not to stop
In both left or righthand drive trucks getting 40/44 tonne moving from a standstill because someone is too stupid or bone idle to indicate tough luck

malcolmj:
In both left or righthand drive trucks getting 40/44 tonne moving from a standstill because someone is too stupid or bone idle to indicate tough luck

I loved doing that and then giving them the eye contact shaking head whilst looking at their non working indicators :laughing: