Jumping Ship.

Ok chaps, I’m getting to the point where I’ve had enough, started looking around & found a couple of hopefuls-
1, DHL/Travis, Brackmills, Northampton.
2, John Lewis, Magna 1, MK.
I believe both are Blue Chip Type Companies.

Both are Guaranteed 48 hours, both are around the 30k (minimum)

DHL, I believe is Mon-Friday, morning starts & no o/time & about 18miles/25-30 minutes from home. They reign the hours in if you go over the 48, giving extra days off every couple of weeks.

JL is 47.5 hours, minimum around 30k, PM shift, anywhere between 13.00-23.00 (4 hour window, but they say they try to keep you around the same start time) 7 miles/10 minutes from home, only down side is working regular 1 or 2 Saturday & Sundays over an 8 week period [emoji57] but it looks like it can fit in with out social life & we can use the Motorhome more. Also there’s the Bonus, paying 10% last year (not guaranteed of course) & there seems to be a few perks with the job.
(Might even be able to get back to using my pushbike [emoji605][emoji6])

DHL is by word of mouth/recomendation & I’ve contacted the TM, who wants to arrange a meeting/interview at our convenience (so I’m gonna park outside & pop in to see her this week [emoji6])
JL were at the Jobs Fair in MK yesterday, had a very interesting chat with their TM, so I’ve applied on line.

Question is- Has any body got any points of interest/advice on either organisation ?

where I am now is going nowhere (apart from all over the country [emoji6]) in terms of reducing my hours & increasing my wages.

The DHL job sure looks attractive. Regular weekends off can be hard to find these days.

I thought that area was referred too as the golden triangle :question: , if so it doesn’t look very golden too me , I get weekends off , less hours , 40 ( and that’s dragging it out on bosses instructions , 50 hrs guaranteed , etc etc , and that’s in lincolnshire which is one of the worst paid areas in country .
Keep looking :exclamation: :exclamation: , you can do better

I’m wary of that DHL pay method, they can wallop you 48 hours work in 4 days (possible 3.5 days), which should have given you about 20 hours overtime which you won’t ever see.
Which is ok so long as the standard rate is good enough to compensate, but you’ve been around long enough to realise that.

That job the drivers are always pushing hard when i see them on the road, though it must be said some JL drivers seem to push more than they did a few years ago, that may not be the company pushing of course it might just be modern driver mentality of running at the limiter at all times and must be in front :bulb: …course it could be that i’m slowing up in me dotage :sunglasses:

Having your weekends free is priceless I would go for a chat with DHL and see what they expect, they might hold back your hours at the start of the week so they have cover on Friday as not everyone can have an early finish to the week.

Juddian:
I’m wary of that DHL pay method, they can wallop you 48 hours work in 4 days (possible 3.5 days), which should have given you about 20 hours overtime which you won’t ever see.
Which is ok so long as the standard rate is good enough to compensate, but you’ve been around long enough to realise that.

That job the drivers are always pushing hard when i see them on the road, though it must be said some JL drivers seem to push more than they did a few years ago, that may not be the company pushing of course it might just be modern driver mentality of running at the limiter at all times and must be in front :bulb: …course it could be that i’m slowing up in me dotage :sunglasses:

How can you tell if a driver is pushing hard when on the road?
Don’t we all sit on the limiter is the law allows it?Motorway ect?

dozy:
I thought that area was referred too as the golden triangle :question: , if so it doesn’t look very golden too me , I get weekends off , less hours , 40 ( and that’s dragging it out on bosses instructions , 50 hrs guaranteed , etc etc , and that’s in lincolnshire which is one of the worst paid areas in country .

But at least DHL don’t ask you to come in on Saturday to wash other driver’s trucks…

xichrisxi:

Juddian:

How can you tell if a driver is pushing hard when on the road?
Don’t we all sit on the limiter is the law allows it?Motorway ect?

No we don’t all sit on the limiter, often those that do are on the limiter till the very last second then brake heavily and resume.
Closer than necessary tailgating, overtaking other lorries on roundabouts, not using rolling momentum by good junction timing nor using the road correctly to aid smooth progress, the ones in a hurry stand out a mile.
Which is fine if that how the driver wants to drive its up to them, but when i see it regularly it makes me wonder of its the result of being pushed by planners themselves pushed.

Reading between the lines Martin you’ve either consciously or subconsciously placed greater emphasis on the John Lewis job. This tells me that your mind is at least 90% made up to jump that way. I’d say go for it, you know what you want so go get it tiger! :smiley:

the maoster:
Reading between the lines Martin you’ve either consciously or subconsciously placed greater emphasis on the John Lewis job. This tells me that your mind is at least 90% made up to jump that way. I’d say go for it, you know what you want so go get it tiger! :smiley:

Be prepared to land, stumble, barrel roll and jump again.
I started a new job a few weeks ago, all looking good, better time off, higher hourly rate, etc etc. Then, in the first week of driving, and talking to other drivers, the real picture shows, and the job turned out to be potentially crap. A quick barrel roll and jump saw me land in a much better job, within a week.

Go for interviews with both, and take what the TM tells you with a large pinch of salt.
The DHL way of paying can hide a nasty trick. Work an extra shift (overtime) early in the month, and then watch your hours drop at the end, leaving you with the same hours, but having worked an extra shift… (that’s why I jumped from Aldi).

the nodding donkey:

the maoster:

I started a new job a few weeks ago, all looking good, better time off, higher hourly rate, etc etc. Then, in the first week of driving, and talking to other drivers, the real picture shows, and the job turned out to be potentially crap. A quick barrel roll and jump saw me land in a much better job, within a week.

Go for interviews with both, and take what the TM tells you with a large pinch of salt.
The DHL way of paying can hide a nasty trick. Work an extra shift (overtime) early in the month, and then watch your hours drop at the end, leaving you with the same hours, but having worked an extra shift… (that’s why I jumped from Aldi).

DHL pay salary,if you work an extra shift regardless of when in the month it is you’ll get paid for the extra shift you do,regardless of your hours worked the extra shift is separate from your normal working week and is paid as such.

He’s dragging the job out , you know that and I know that ( and so did the R.burns driver) , I’m for ever comming East / west across the 66 and you can run that every day ofbthe week on the limiter without any hassle , do you think there going too do you for doing 56 in a 50 :unamused: .
If he wants to drag it out / toss it off then pull over and do it in a layby , there’s plenty too choose from

dozy i hope your not dragging the hours out by sticking to the speed limits now…

John Lewis is a job for life. More perks than DHL I’d have said, plus it’s direct work, whereas DHL will be dependent on contracts in that area, and the likes of Stobart and Wincanton are often competing over the same work. JL for me. If I lived near MK or they opened up here I’d be on it like a shot.

xichrisxi:

the nodding donkey:

the maoster:

DHL pay salary,if you work an extra shift regardless of when in the month it is you’ll get paid for the extra shift you do,regardless of your hours worked the extra shift is separate from your normal working week and is paid as such.

That’s the right way. My new job is same, salaried 4on-4off, and extra shifts as overtime.

OVLOV JAY:
John Lewis is a job for life. More perks than DHL I’d have said, plus it’s direct work, whereas DHL will be dependent on contracts in that area, and the likes of Stobart and Wincanton are often competing over the same work. JL for me. If I lived near MK or they opened up here I’d be on it like a shot.

I totally think the same JL every time for me .

the maoster:

Quick Martin put your tinfoil hat back on, he’s reading your mind! :open_mouth:

the nodding donkey:

dozy:

But at least DHL don’t ask you to come in on Saturday to wash other driver’s trucks…

No I doubt they do ,I doubt they drive a ratty old daf , but according too op they earn less for more hours , which as its described as the golden triangle ( or was for Hgv jobs ) and I work in Lincolnshire ( described as a poor pay area ) I don’t think its good at all , certainly nothing special , and I’d be looking for wages / hours that fit in with the description of golden triangle for Hgv driving jobs .

If the JL job gives you more time in the motor home and that’s what you enjoy then the sacrifice of a couple of weekend days may be worth it.
Also, how are you with all the H&S policies that these big firms employ? Trackers, In cab cameras etc? I’d imagine with the like of DHL. You can’t ■■■■ without permission or you get disciplined. I couldn’t work at a company that scrutinises your every move.

I worked for DHL, every single site/contract is different and each depot can have vastly different atmospheres. Some easy going, some ■■■■ as ■■■■.

If it was me I’d much rather get my foot into John Lewis get a few years of not for profit transport under your belt. Money will be good, conditions will be good and those staff bonuses make the headlines most years. Imagine getting 3/4K in time for chrimbo! You’ll be able to fill your boots with o/t aswell. Work will also be a complete doddle.

There is a John Lewis depot near me and I’ve sent a few speculative cvs now and again but never hear back and never see them advertise either. Hard to get in the door.

Being a Mon-Fri man myself, i’d go for the DHL job everyday of the week… unless the other option was a John Lewis depot (or any other non for profit gig) 10 minutes from my house paying £30K minimum & only wanting 2 weekends in 8.

No brainer in my opinion, perks & staff-friendly culture at JL is unrivalled. Bide your time and a morning shift position could come up & then you’d be laughing.