Jumping Ship.

Juddian:
Which is fine if that how the driver wants to drive its up to them, but when i see it regularly it makes me wonder of its the result of being pushed by planners themselves pushed.

We have some drivers like that on nights and the times we’re given for the runs we’re far from pushed even under the old speed limits. You find they tend to have come from companies where they have had to run around like a headless chicken and can’t turn it off.

the nodding donkey:
The DHL way of paying can hide a nasty trick. Work an extra shift (overtime) early in the month, and then watch your hours drop at the end, leaving you with the same hours, but having worked an extra shift… (that’s why I jumped from Aldi).

But you’ve only worked the same hours so how have you worked an extra shift? You may have done an extra day, doing say 48hrs over 6 instead of 5 but you’ve still only done 48hrs.

Conor:

the nodding donkey:
The DHL way of paying can hide a nasty trick. Work an extra shift (overtime) early in the month, and then watch your hours drop at the end, leaving you with the same hours, but having worked an extra shift… (that’s why I jumped from Aldi).

But you’ve only worked the same hours so how have you worked an extra shift? You may have done an extra day, doing say 48hrs over 6 instead of 5 but you’ve still only done 48hrs.

The words you’re looking for is accrued hours , which basically means you won’t be paid OT till you’ve reached your basic set hours
eg if you work 4 days but only do 38 hours one week but rest of month do 48 hr plus 10 hrs extra you’ll still be paid basic hours
I was on that at Currys :imp: so no incentive to finish early

the nodding donkey:

the maoster:
Reading between the lines Martin you’ve either consciously or subconsciously placed greater emphasis on the John Lewis job. This tells me that your mind is at least 90% made up to jump that way. I’d say go for it, you know what you want so go get it tiger! :smiley:

Be prepared to land, stumble, barrel roll and jump again.
I started a new job a few weeks ago, all looking good, better time off, higher hourly rate, etc etc. Then, in the first week of driving, and talking to other drivers, the real picture shows, and the job turned out to be potentially crap. A quick barrel roll and jump saw me land in a much better job, within a week.

Go for interviews with both, and take what the TM tells you with a large pinch of salt.

This 100%.

Some really good feedback Guys, thanks, like Moaster noticed, I am partial to JL, although I’ve only just applied so nothings guaranteed.
I do like Monday-Friday work, but the odd weekend day isn’t too much of a problem.
Keeping both in mind for the moment so Fingers Crossed. [emoji106]

Conor:

the nodding donkey:

:unamused:

Spoken like a true drone…

To be honest I’m a local like yourself out of the two I would chasing the John Lewis job
As all employees are are share holders so bonuses are more likely.Good modern kit no stress etc my mate is is on the waitrose side

the big un:
To be honest I’m a local like yourself out of the two I would chasing the John Lewis job
As all employees are are share holders so bonuses are more likely.Good modern kit no stress etc my mate is is on the waitrose side

Yep goes same for the shop staff when my niece worked for local supermarket she got a nice bonus one christmas

rob22888:
Being a Mon-Fri man myself, i’d go for the DHL job everyday of the week… unless the other option was a John Lewis depot (or any other non for profit gig) 10 minutes from my house paying £30K minimum & only wanting 2 weekends in 8.

No brainer in my opinion, perks & staff-friendly culture at JL is unrivalled. Bide your time and a morning shift position could come up & then you’d be laughing.

If a morning shift is ultimately what you’re after don’t hold you breath at JL. Also you work a different shift pattern during their peak period and then you work 1 weekend in 4 ( if I remember correctly ).

Believe me non profit is the mecca, Down Hill Logistics they are called for a reason its a no brainer, sure you get more weekends off (allegedly) at downhill but you have to look at the overall package on offer not just the bottom line pay.

I personally avoid for profit transport like someone from the middle ages would avoid the bubonic plague, like del trotter said, only fools and horses work.

mike68:
Believe me non profit is the mecca, Down Hill Logistics they are called for a reason its a no brainer, sure you get more weekends off (allegedly) at downhill but you have to look at the overall package on offer not just the bottom line pay.

I personally avoid for profit transport like someone from the middle ages would avoid the bubonic plague, like del trotter said, only fools and horses work.

+1

I drive in-house now, there’s no stress, no presssure just get on with your job and 50% of the time run back empty. OK, I have a run of-the-mill fleet motor but it’s fastidiously maintained, it’s got AC, leccy this and that but, it suits me fine for a days work.

At Whatever Transport and Whoever Haulage I was chasing my tail all the time.

dozy:

the nodding donkey:

dozy:
I thought that area was referred too as the golden triangle :question: , if so it doesn’t look very golden too me , I get weekends off , less hours , 40 ( and that’s dragging it out on bosses instructions , 50 hrs guaranteed , etc etc , and that’s in lincolnshire which is one of the worst paid areas in country .
Keep looking :exclamation: :exclamation: , you can do better

But at least DHL don’t ask you to come in on Saturday to wash other driver’s trucks…

No I doubt they do ,I doubt they drive a ratty old daf , but according too op they earn less for more hours , which as its described as the golden triangle ( or was for Hgv jobs ) and I work in Lincolnshire ( described as a poor pay area ) I don’t think its good at all , certainly nothing special , and I’d be looking for wages / hours that fit in with the description of golden triangle for Hgv driving jobs .

No Dozy, the reason you work for less pay is, your glowing reputation proceeds you, and they hold back some of your wage to cover excess on insurance, to pay a guy on Saturdays to wash trucks surveyors to inspect buildings etc.

Ok Guys, I’ve done it, left on Friday, been at WHB for 4 years & enjoyed the work, wasn’t the best paying job in the world, but it used to be fairly laid back & it was only 10-15 minutes from home.

But over the last year or so the management have let it go, run us ragged, expecting us to work 13, 14 & 15 hour shifts every day, even though it’s 50 hours guaranteed.

I don’t mind working long days, but you never know when you are going to finish, because one of the Forkies is running it like a closed shop, if he doesn’t want to unload you, that’s it, you sit & wait ! Another one is always on Facebook, keeps stopping to post more rubbish, others keep stopping for a ■■■, creating horrendous queues at night.

Parking is a free for all, with the Rigids parking in the trailer bays, leaving us messing around trying to find a space after long days out on the road.

We went out, did a full day’s work, then on the way back in, we were instructed to collect 1 pallet here & 2 pallets there, go come back to the yard & sit in the poxy queue.

Planing is very limited, the days start ok, but soon turn to fire fighting when things start to go wrong & resources are stretched.

5 Artic drivers have left (1 was sacked) in the last 6 weeks, more are planing on going, Rigid drivers are leaving & some of the office staff are looking as well. I can’t see how they can afford to run the place on mostly Expensive Foreign Agency Staff [emoji57]

And the management have done nothing about any of it ! Even though it’s been pointed out to them on numerous occasions.

Well that’s it I’m afraid ! This Viking has Sailed up the Fjord in his Long Boat/Electric Car [emoji594] & has started at DHL, Brackmills.
Gonna be a Fanny in a Scanny from now on.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Congratulations mate. I hope it all works out for you at your pastures new, if not we are only at J14, no spaces at the minute, but never hurts to have a CV or 2 sitting on the desk :wink:

“Any five from seven” is crap. “Four on four off” is cushy.

If you commute to work - the less commutes per week - the better.

But that’s just me. :grimacing:

martinviking:
Ok Guys, I’ve done it, left on Friday, been at WHB for 4 years & enjoyed the work, wasn’t the best paying job in the world, but it used to be fairly laid back & it was only 10-15 minutes from home.

But over the last year or so the management have let it go, run us ragged, expecting us to work 13, 14 & 15 hour shifts every day, even though it’s 50 hours guaranteed.

I don’t mind working long days, but you never know when you are going to finish, because one of the Forkies is running it like a closed shop, if he doesn’t want to unload you, that’s it, you sit & wait ! Another one is always on Facebook, keeps stopping to post more rubbish, others keep stopping for a ■■■, creating horrendous queues at night.

Parking is a free for all, with the Rigids parking in the trailer bays, leaving us messing around trying to find a space after long days out on the road.

We went out, did a full day’s work, then on the way back in, we were instructed to collect 1 pallet here & 2 pallets there, go come back to the yard & sit in the poxy queue.

Planing is very limited, the days start ok, but soon turn to fire fighting when things start to go wrong & resources are stretched.

5 Artic drivers have left (1 was sacked) in the last 6 weeks, more are planing on going, Rigid drivers are leaving & some of the office staff are looking as well. I can’t see how they can afford to run the place on mostly Expensive Foreign Agency Staff [emoji57]

And the management have done nothing about any of it ! Even though it’s been pointed out to them on numerous occasions.

Well that’s it I’m afraid ! This Viking has Sailed up the Fjord in his Long Boat/Electric Car [emoji594] & has started at DHL, Brackmills.
Gonna be a Fanny in a Scanny from now on.

Seems to be a common thing with drivers who leave. Once one or two go then a boatload more leave. Seen it happen at two of my previous places I’ve worked. Just drop like flies.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Availability of jobs elsewhere perhaps?

The sign of a truly improving Driver’s labour market I reckons… :sunglasses:

As for the comments about DHL and pay methods. It does depend on which depot you work for and what contract your on. Banked hours is OK for some people and not for others. You accrue either positive or negative banked hours depending on how many hours you work over or under your normal 48. If DHL owe you hours then it is paid once yearly if you owe them hours I’m not sure how that is dealt with, so it makes sense to do your 48 hours as much as possible. As for shift patterns again depends on a lot of factors and contract. Our place has mostly done away with the banked hours contracts and most of us now get paid for every hour we work. But some on the banked hours liked it as their 5th day was paid if they work it and I believe was a decent addition to the basic wage.

So it’s not all as bad as some say, it depends what your after and what your happy with really.

Good for you Martin, hope the new stable proves to be a decent long term move.

What you have been experiencing is happening at many places, i’m only surprised you didn’t hear the phrases ‘‘i can get drivers ten a penny’’ or ‘‘i could train a monkey to do your job’’ being uttered by those in senior positions where you would really expect them to know better.

It’s usually a sign that what might have once been a good job is going downhill, and for some reason those at the top are now actually believing their own propaganda.

I’ve seen the exodus of good drivers en mass before, one good bloke finds a well paying place where they are appreciated and another couple of good lads see the light and follow, next thing the sensible boss at company B realises that at company A they’ve got some bloody good people who are taken for granted, so company B boss sidles up to the new ex company A lads…‘‘any of the good blokes who you used to work with want a job give them my personal phone number’’.

I have seen this with mine own eyes and been part of the exodus some 20 odd years ago (ten a penny man) and have a feeling ‘monkey boy’ busy dumbing the job down to lowest common denominator might be seeing the same phenomenon before long too.