Joining the motorway.

Lovely young lady tried to get on the motorway the other week on the M60, she came hammering down the slip road got level, I could not move across (Don’t have to anyway) she got closer and closer, horn was blaring up the hard shoulder she went.I reached down into my bag gets my copy of the Highway code, waits for her and places the book against the window, we were down to about 5 mph, the delightful creature gave the 2 finger salute followed staight away with some coffee bean shaking, I just smiled.

I dread slip roads, just expect the worse.I reckon the camera idea is a good un :wink:

This happened to me today a moron in a tipper on a1 near a14 ku61 mho watch for the prick forcing his way out then sounding his horn at me cause i cant move out to lane 2 his boss was an even bigger prick

If I can’t move over then I stay at constant speed. Most car drivers pull in front or fall behind and merge. Most lorry drivers expect me to move over or slow down and never change their speed as if it is their right of way to join. I’ve had two or three incidents where car drivers got mad cos I wouldn’t move over in the last 2 years. I HAVE to move over or die two or three times everyday when another lorry tries to join. I’m seriously starting to find that most lorry drivers are arrogant pricks since I passed my test and joined this forum.

Bringing in a compulsory motorway test would be a start.

The vast majority of the general public are clueless on a motorway. Don’t even get me started on middle lane gimps

Ched:
If I can’t move over then I stay at constant speed. Most car drivers pull in front or fall behind and merge. Most lorry drivers expect me to move over or slow down and never change their speed as if it is their right of way to join. I’ve had two or three incidents where car drivers got mad cos I wouldn’t move over in the last 2 years. I HAVE to move over or die two or three times everyday when another lorry tries to join. I’m seriously starting to find that most lorry drivers are arrogant pricks since I passed my test and joined this forum.

Only just starting? Come on man, you’ve been here over a year now…! :smiling_imp:

Part 3:
Joining the motorway (259)
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.
Well done to those of you who simply hold their course and speed if you’re already on the motorway,as it says above,give priority to traffic already on it,the onus is on those trying to join to do it safely.

If you can move over to make it easier,then fair play to you,that’s considerate driving and what i try to do where it’s possible.

I am surprised by the number of replies which means it happens more often on a daily basis.

I engage in considerate driving where I can if conditions allow…However it can get scary with the no brains.
Roundabouts…Given up on a signalling vehicle now and just do my own thing.
The funny thing is, I cut up loads on roundabouts and do not get any abuse…But get the abuse if I don`t allow a sliproader to join :confused:
The worlds gone to hell in a handcart!

The reason is not looking over your shoulder to check the joining situation and not using side mirrors and looking straight ahead then at the end of the slip road they have just worked there is no room and bad planning follows a free brake test.

The uk needs to do what ireland has strted to do and thats put adverts on tv explaining the road rules again as the standard of driving in both countrys is shocking. I drive all over europe and do see my fair share of crap driving but for lorry drivers england and ireland have to be b fair the worst with many of the examples been shown here

On all minor and major roads in the uk we see many speed limit signs but why no speed limit signs on a motorway,a foreign tourist in their hire car would have no clue and would pace themselves with the fastest car and get nicked for speeding.

limeyphil:
if it’s clear and safe, then i’ll pull out and let them in.
It’s different with the police though. If i pull out and do the decent thing, they get suspicious and pull me. if i stay where i am they think i’m a git and pull me. So i stay where i am for them.

It’s just you, Phil :wink:

I haven’t been stopped by Police (other than when they’ve been controlling traffic at the scene of an incident or traffic census) since about 1985 - and on that occasion I was speeding on a motorbike so it was a fair cop, Guv.

Maybe they spot the ACAB tattoos on your knuckles? :wink:

Joining motorways and (lack of) island indication are the 2 things that nark me the most about driving.

I had a typical incident recently going south on the M5 past J3. Big powerful car attempting to join the motorway. Absolutely nothing in front of me and plenty of time and space to enter ahead of me. I had vehicles passing me so couldn’t move over. Given the power of the car and space available I stood my ground. He drove alongside me at the exact speed as me right up until the end of the slip road. When he realised I wasn’t budging he decided to bail down the hard shoulder and try to undertake me. Of course, anyone who knows that junction knows the hard shoulder ends just after the slip road as there’s a bridge support in the way.

On goes the brakes, then a good 5 second blast of the horn. Was ready for him to brake test me but he just sailed past. And this crap is happening every day. This needs to be part of the test, they just don’t get it.

In some situations I will back off. If there’s a line of cars waiting to enter I will slow down for the car nearest to me cos they don’t have the space to put the power down. I do try and move over for trucks if I can. Then try not to get too miffed when they floor it to 56 and leave you hanging. I run at about 54 anyway so don’t mind slotting in behind.

And don’t get me started on islands. I don’t care any more, if a car tries to go right at an island without indicating I just pull out. I had a 7.5t do it to me yesterday. It was one of those islands where the majority of traffic goes straight over but the odd vehicle turns right. I always slow down anyway just in case. Good job as this 7.5t just sailed straight round. I came to a stop a few feet into the island. He knew what he’d done and he just waved at me, I had to laugh :grimacing:

I do the same if they do not indicate i pull out too.And on many occassions they test the audible warning device and flash their lights like a light show at a pop concert.

island? You are correct about the speed of vehicles coming off the slip - a) if they’re ahead then they should stay ahead; b) if they’re behind then they shouldn’t try undertaking; c) if they’re level then that’s where problems can occur, possibly caused by slowing in situation a) or speeding up in b). Ordinary people just don’t realise that lorries are quite probably likely to be doing c. 55MPH and should be able to base their actions on that simple premise.

My own personal opinion is that there should be some kind of secondary test for all motorists before they’re permitted to drive on motorways. It amazes me how many people think you join a motorway at 45-50mph, and then full throttle when you’re finally on it, often causing unnecessary distress to other road uses, especially drivers of commercial vehicles.

With the right frame of mind, training, and attitude, the motorways are just about the safest roads we have. Now, when we throw some drivers in who are too confident in their false facts, and not competent enough to use the motorway network in an efficient and safe manor? Well, we all know where that leads.

Agreed. Motorways are statistically the safest roads, yet some people find them terrifying. I’m sure you’ve all seen the person with white knuckles hunched over with there chin inches from the steering wheel looking like they are about to die from fright. And to quote another thread … why the hell are car drivers so scared of using lane 3? I don’t understand why. I’m much more scared of dieing on an uneven potholed winding single carriage way road than on a motorway (although bridge support strikes do scare me as that is almost always instant death)

All tests and tuition whether its car, motorbike, hgv, psv should include motorway driving. I remember after passing my car test, the first time I went on a motorway I made all the mistakes that people moan about on these forums. A little extra mandatory tuition (instead of an optional extra) would have helped enormously. ie new drivers should not be allowed on motorways until they have passed a 2nd module. Think of the extra income, Dave “Hoody” Cameron!

toby1234abc:
On all minor and major roads in the uk we see many speed limit signs but why no speed limit signs on a motorway,a foreign tourist in their hire car would have no clue and would pace themselves with the fastest car and get nicked for speeding.

You need to open your eyes a bit wider.

the ones that baffle me are the ones who are ahead of me on the sliproad (me in L1) and going faster than me then slam the anchors on to join behind me instead of accelerating, joining and getting on with their day

the ones that annoy me are the ones who make no attempt to get anywhere near cruising speed and expect everyone to allow them to join at under 50MPH. especially when i am behind them in my car :imp:

And everyday i see cars that dive bomb in front if my cab then shoot off to exit the motorway and there is no traffic behind me so they could wait a few seconds behind me but no they have get past and annoy the nasty lorry driver.