Joining the motorway

Last night (Monday 26th) I was driving north on M6 by J10, when Birds Transport driver was joining the motorway . I had a quick look to my right and saw a car next to me so stayed in the nearside lane , I was in front of Birds driver so thought he would adjust HIS speed to mine and pull in behind me . Oh no not this spanner he tried to speed up but ran out of road had to brake then pull in behind me lights flashing, horn blasting etc . A few points about that junction you might know , its a four lane carriageway ( no hard shoulder ) and was at the time down to just two lanes (again !!), and down to 50 mph limit . Once the ‘driver’ had got past me waving and shouting blasting his horn at over the 50mph limit, the two lane restriction had ended and became three lanes , my inside lane had become the hard shoulder he kept his speed to mine and forced me to slow dramatically to pull in behind him .
My point is this, what started as a good gesture to move over and let trucks join motorways easily has now become expected !
As for Birds Transport I might suggest re training or a quick glance of the highway code or at the very least give the drivers enough time so they don’t have to race everywhere

It’s a sorry world out there now to the point if I’m in that lane there’s nothing in law that says I need to give way so I’ve adopted the attitude of up yours…

See it quite regular these days along with those that don’t thank you or flash you in when you let them onto the motorway and pass them. Also the knobs who sit side by side for about 10 mile when overtaking holding everyone up because they have small ■■■■ syndrome.

cab rat:
A few points about that junction

No need to describe the junction mate, you were already on the carriageway and as such had right of way. It’s up to him to get up to the speed of the traffic and find a suitable gap.

nick2008:
It’s a sorry world out there now to the point if I’m in that lane there’s nothing in law that says I need to give way so I’ve adopted the attitude of up yours…

But it’s because so many people have adopted that attitude that “it’s a sorry world out there”.

Or when you move to middle lane and let him in and he won’t drop any speed to let you back in. So you end up slowing down and getting behind him and struggling up the hill.

its your right of way not his the end

One of my biggest pet peeves on the motorway this. I’ve had the experience many times. I do try and assist people but I will not bully my way into lane 2 or make others behind me down to let somebody onto the motorway.

GIving way on a slip road is highway code basics.

Funny how car drivers campaign about wanting us banned from lane 2, but have no issue with us yielding to let them in. As usual, it’s when it suits. :unamused:

tachograph:

nick2008:

But it’s because so many people have adopted that attitude that “it’s a sorry world out there”.

Sometimes its the only way unfortunately

A good driver will always be thinking … what is the safest action I can take here

Ring or Email Birds to get this idiot off the road before the Muppet kills somebody, iI have no time for these twunts that have anger issues and use their employers lorry as a weapon to bully and intimidate other road users.
Get him sacked, so be it, give his job to someone that can drive properly.
Did you get his number plate details ?

The car driver that comes dawdling up the slip road doing 40 to 50, never looks in his mirror till the last minute and then panic sets in cos he’s in line with you and you have nowhere to go.
Not sure if they get taught differently in Germany but I’ve always found they seem to know how to use slip roads there. By the time they hit the autobahn they are usually doing 80 or 90 and well out of my way.

Cars seem to have so much uncertainty… They either need to drop back or floor it. But so many sit there alongside you. Anyone else finding alot of cars in average camera zones move into lane 2 then sit at 40mph regardless of how many trucks are behind them?!

Can’t understand all this talk of “right of way” as if there’s some sort of Mexican Stand-off going on where the first to blink (or slow down) loses face. If A N Other is going up the slip road and it’s clear he’s not aiming to tuck in behind you then you ease off. It’s not about “letting him in” or “exercising your right of way” - it’s simply about avoiding a collision (regardless of who might subsequently be found to be be at fault).

Roymondo:
Can’t understand all this talk of “right of way” as if there’s some sort of Mexican Stand-off going on where the first to blink (or slow down) loses face. If A N Other is going up the slip road and it’s clear he’s not aiming to tuck in behind you then you ease off. It’s not about “letting him in” or “exercising your right of way” - it’s simply about avoiding a collision (regardless of who might subsequently be found to be be at fault).

Can’t understand right of way? Really?
It is all about letting someone in as you have right of way, how hard is that to understand??
Traffic joining should adjust speed and indicate they wish to join, you should be looking to make allowances for that traffic, if you can’t slow or change lane to let them in then you don’t. Whilst Rog is right, part of that decision should be self preservation, it’s your lane and your right of way, no point taking drastic action on behalf of someone else, who in all likely hood would drive off oblivious/ignoring any chaos they have caused.
Sorry Raymondo, but it’s that kind of crap attitude that encourages the bully driver to force their way on as they expect drivers such as yourself to just get out of the way…awful attitude to have to be honest!

Roymondo:

To what extent do you ‘ease off’ though? Sometimes to let one of these numpties in without the option of changing lanes, you would have to drop speed considerably. On a busy motorway with dense traffic & the usual tailgaters, thats dangerous and likely to cause an accident in itself.

toby1234abc:
Ring or Email Birds to get this idiot off the road before the Muppet kills somebody, iI have no time for these twunts that have anger issues and use their employers lorry as a weapon to bully and intimidate other road users.
Get him sacked, so be it, give his job to someone that can drive properly.
Did you get his number plate details ?

Please tell me your joking. What I read constitutes bad driving but it hardly warrants the pitchforks and flaming torches!

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
See it quite regular these days along with those that don’t thank you or flash you in when you let them onto the motorway and pass them. Also the knobs who sit side by side for about 10 mile when overtaking holding everyone up because they have small ■■■■ syndrome.

Agree with all you said m8. Why do bulk tipper and regular tipper drivers seem to never thank you for flashing them in? It’s a shame as not all of them are like that.

Happend to me yesterday on m1 I’m in lane one white polo is on slip road just a bit in front of me hasn’t looked or seen me so I start to slow a bit can’t move to lane two last 100 yards of slip road he sees me panicked I brake he brake he weaving I’m down to about 30mph then he floors it and gone no hazards or thank you also there is another slip road on his left with an artic coming up if he had dropped back he would of been squashed between me and the artic.

Well I’ve kinda got a set of unwritten rules, never move over for cars at all. Buses, lorries etc I’ll do my best if the situation prevails but am not slicing someone up in lane 2 to make it happen. If a car,lorry,bus is past my cab I will slow down and let them in. If my cab is past theirs then it’s no my problem anymore :laughing:

Trouble is depending on traffic you hitting the anchors or moving over suddenly can affect hundreds of road users to accomdate one person.

Joining a motorway I never expect anyone to let me in and I think that’s the way everyone should think, look for the gap not the traffic.