Joining the motorway

+1 ^^^^^^

+2 ^^^^^

Malky80:
Agree with all you said m8. Why do bulk tipper and regular tipper drivers seem to never thank you for flashing them in? It’s a shame as not all of them are like that.

Simple reason, it’s because the back lights don’t work :stuck_out_tongue:

NTSA! How many people expect the whole motorway to stop, to let 1 truck in? FFS. :imp:

rob22888:

Roymondo:
Can’t understand all this talk of “right of way” as if there’s some sort of Mexican Stand-off going on where the first to blink (or slow down) loses face. If A N Other is going up the slip road and it’s clear he’s not aiming to tuck in behind you then you ease off. It’s not about “letting him in” or “exercising your right of way” - it’s simply about avoiding a collision (regardless of who might subsequently be found to be be at fault).

To what extent do you ‘ease off’ though? Sometimes to let one of these numpties in without the option of changing lanes, you would have to drop speed considerably. On a busy motorway with dense traffic & the usual tailgaters, thats dangerous and likely to cause an accident in itself.

reducing your speed will make probably over a 9 hour driving day 15 seconds to a max of a minute difference and i doubt reducing speed will cause an accident unless you hammer the brakes on.

isnt driving a truck all about anticipation? so what if he is a knob its better to have a knob in front of you than behind your bumper.

we all sit and call the guy who yes was obviously a knob but if you cant slow down for a second or 5 are you any better? is it you thats so much under pressure you cant spare that little bit of reduced speed, the arriving 60 seconds late to your drop?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
See it quite regular these days along with those that don’t thank you or flash you in when you let them onto the motorway and pass them. Also the knobs who sit side by side for about 10 mile when overtaking holding everyone up because they have small ■■■■ syndrome.

I never thank and I never flash in. If anyone can’t se when he should join/change lane he/she should give up his/her license for everyones safe. Also could all drivers stop flashing me in - it is f+% ing dazzling me :exclamation:

MisterStrood:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
See it quite regular these days along with those that don’t thank you or flash you in when you let them onto the motorway and pass them. Also the knobs who sit side by side for about 10 mile when overtaking holding everyone up because they have small ■■■■ syndrome.

I never thank and I never flash in. If anyone can’t se when he should join/change lane he/she should give up his/her license for everyones safe. Also could all drivers stop flashing me in - it is f+% ing dazzling me :exclamation:

no wonder the driving game is getting less helpful how ignorant and high and ■■■■■■■ mighty of you. so glad i only do the odd day now and then if this is what people’s respect for each other is nowadays.

oh and yeah i have bit at this whole thread as i was brought up to assist and help fellow drivers if possible not mow them down, ignore or watch struggle. and ffs its only allowing someone doing a job the same as you out into a lane or assisting in pulling back in etc.

war1974:
reducing your speed will make probably over a 9 hour driving day 15 seconds to a max of a minute difference and i doubt reducing speed will cause an accident unless you hammer the brakes on.

isnt driving a truck all about anticipation? so what if he is a knob its better to have a knob in front of you than behind your bumper.

we all sit and call the guy who yes was obviously a knob but if you cant slow down for a second or 5 are you any better? is it you thats so much under pressure you cant spare that little bit of reduced speed, the arriving 60 seconds late to your drop?

I know what you are saying there War, and to an extent agree. However the real world scenario differs slightly imo. What happens is you are happily trundling along in lane one with a constant stream of nose to tail traffic overtaking you in lane two, you spot the onslip ahead with a line of nose to tail cars coming down it being led by someone with little or no understanding that slip roads are built that length to allow entering traffic to match the speed of the traffic already on the carriageway.

So consequently you have to brake to walking pace, barge your way into lane two, or maintain your speed and course and hope that no hero is going to run into the side of you.

The problem generally isn’t the single vehicle coming down the slip, it’s usually the 8 or 9 stuck to his rear end.

i get the point and yes agree too that at times it may not be possible, but if we all managed to show a touch more consideration then things might be a touch better ( and actually think the OP was at least tryingto be polite).

but nto flashing in acknowedgment of being flashed in, having the i can judge my trailer to within an inch brigade then sorry no dont buy it, what about after 4pm and raining you know exactly when you are clear and safe? even if you are able why not say thanks if the other driver has had the decency to give a flash? even if it hurts your eyes!

I actually do flash people in, aknowledge when I’m flashed in, and wave my thanks to someone who does me a good turn. The spanner who said he doesn’t is just that; a spanner.

As the great Hugh Rowland :wink: recently stated; he’s not a proper truck driver, he’s just a steering wheel holder!

my policy is ,if i am on inside lane and a car comes up on slip road alongside me
if it is indicating i move over to middle lane if it is safe to do so
but if they dont or cant be bothered to indicate i carry on at my normal constant speed and i dont move to the middle lane
up to the car driver then to make his decision

war1974:

rob22888:

Roymondo:
Can’t understand all this talk of “right of way” as if there’s some sort of Mexican Stand-off going on where the first to blink (or slow down) loses face. If A N Other is going up the slip road and it’s clear he’s not aiming to tuck in behind you then you ease off. It’s not about “letting him in” or “exercising your right of way” - it’s simply about avoiding a collision (regardless of who might subsequently be found to be be at fault).

To what extent do you ‘ease off’ though? Sometimes to let one of these numpties in without the option of changing lanes, you would have to drop speed considerably. On a busy motorway with dense traffic & the usual tailgaters, thats dangerous and likely to cause an accident in itself.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with rushing to get to a drop, it’s just that sometimes in the real non-ideal world it’s simply not possible to let a muppet onto the motorway without taking harsh action, something I would rather not do in heavy traffic.

so on a slip road neither so called professional drive can slow a bit or give an inch without the need for braking harsh/causing an accident?

really?

Norfolkinclue1:

Roymondo:

Can’t understand right of way? Really?
It is all about letting someone in as you have right of way, how hard is that to understand??
Traffic joining should adjust speed and indicate they wish to join, you should be looking to make allowances for that traffic, if you can’t slow or change lane to let them in then you don’t. Whilst Rog is right, part of that decision should be self preservation, it’s your lane and your right of way, no point taking drastic action on behalf of someone else, who in all likely hood would drive off oblivious/ignoring any chaos they have caused.
Sorry Raymondo, but it’s that kind of crap attitude that encourages the bully driver to force their way on as they expect drivers such as yourself to just get out of the way…awful attitude to have to be honest!

Read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote. Norfolkinclue indeed.

Roymondo:

Yep. If someone is alongside then is it really that much of a hassle to ease off a bit? If I can move into lane 2 I always will. If they are even a little bit on front its no real hardship to drop it a couple of mph and let everything keep moving. Its the “im in my lane/I have right of way and I aint moving” attitude that causes jams,collisions and all sorts
Too many people think just because they have right of way they are blameless in a collision. Even if someone is going the wrong way up a one way street and you hit thm it is deemed as dual blame if it is found you could have avoided the collision.