Joining a motorway from a slip road

This practice really infuriates me, i was on the m25 the other day, i had just come out of the A10 tunnel and noticed an artic heading down the slip road…i moved over to the middle and let him out…he increased his speed…leaving me in the middle lane…but i was that little bit more faster/lighter, and was halfway along the side of his trailer, when he started to close on a slower moving vehicle in his lane…so started to indicate, i didnt back off…and as i overtook him…he had to lean underneath his flash curtains to give me the hand gestures often associated with irate drivers…WHY ?..Why do drivers of all sizes of vehicles think its their god given right to have priority on joining a motorway.

Some of em are proper muppets, they expect you to slow down and speed up again just so they dont have to :unamused: not gonna happen :wink:
I will move over if there is room if there aint any room then they have 3 choices slow down and pull in behind, speed up and get in front, or get intimate.
Another thing getting on my ■■■■ is people slowing down in lane 1 a mile before the actual slip road :imp: ■■■■■■■ hell the slips roads are that long for a reason :unamused:

Whenever I get onto a motorway I’ll always let the truck who’s allowed me onto the carriageway to pass because it’s courteous; the Highway Code also states that you should give way to the right and that if a vehicle is overtaking you should allow it to pass.

I moved into the middle lane a couple of weeks ago to allow a truck onto the M1 Northbound at J23. The knob accelerated to the same speed as me, leaving me in the middle lane. I slowed down, pulled in behind him and flashed my lights; knobhead gave me the bird. I pulled into Trowell services shortly afterwards to get a coffee and then resumed my journey.

Further up the motorway I’m passing Woodall services and knobhead must have decided to stop and get some refreshments from there. He was coming down the slip road as I was passing it, I didn’t move this time…

Bob

Same as those so called professional drivers who come down the slip then carry on up the hard shoulder because you ain`t moved into the middle lane for them,despite the fact that there was a 44 tonner already in the middle lane.

I don’t bither moving into lane 2 anymore…it is up to the vehicle joining to filter in at an appropriate place.

Why else would they paint GIVE WAY lines at the end of a sliproad

Semtex:
I don’t bither moving into lane 2 anymore…it is up to the vehicle joining to filter in at an appropriate place.

Same as you mate but if someone lets me out i will back off and let them pass

dowahdiddyman:
Same as those so called professional drivers who come down the slip then carry on up the hard shoulder because you ain`t moved into the middle lane for them,despite the fact that there was a 44 tonner already in the middle lane.

Surely thats better than him either pulling out in front of you causing a pile up, or him stopping dead at the end of the sliproad, or slowing down only to find there,s two solid lanes of traffic, who can,t, or won,t, let you join, I know it aint in the highway code but I reckon it,s the best of the 4 choices, unless you know another.

Semtex wrote:

Don’t start me on this one! :unamused:

Semtex:

i’m the same, been stitched upto many times over the past year or so, by other, so called, professional drivers. if i see the truck about to join, is clearly quicker than me, i normally back off a tad, and give em a flash to come out, otherwise, i’ll plod on, as, if i’m joining, i either speed up, or back off accordingly, to join with the flow of the traffic. its not rocket science.

its not rocket science.
[/quote]
No it ain’t rocket science and if you cant do it then pack the job in cos you aint up to it. Tesco are probably looking for shelf stackers this time of year.

bristolron:
its not rocket science.

No it ain’t rocket science and if you cant do it then pack the job in cos you aint up to it. Tesco are probably looking for shelf stackers this time of year.
[/quote]
its amazing how many people that don’t get it though.
like the ones that get less than a hundred yards before the end of the slip road, before they look in their mirror/over their shoulder, for the 1st time :unamused:

chilistrucker:
its amazing how many people that don’t get it though.
like the ones that get less than a hundred yards before the end of the slip road, before they look in their mirror/over their shoulder, for the 1st time :unamused:

If they come down the slip and are obviously looking, then I will make some effort to help them…BUT I had an asian lad a few years back, who came barelling down a slip near Manchester and at the last min he looked over his right shoulder out of the back passenger window (he really was sitting that far back past the door column).
He chit himself and swerved left into the shoulder, when all he needed to do was slow a bit and get in behind me.

dowahdiddyman:

I’ve used the hard shoulder when I’ve been unable to join purely to keep up my speed until a gap appears for me. Or would you prefer I stop dead at the give way line with a 44 tonne vehicle then try to join fast moving traffic from a standstill? As for other trucks joining when I’m on the main road I’ll make it easy for them to join as much as i can. I thought it’s basic commonsense as we all know how long it takes to get a truck rolling again.

the ones that ■■■■ me off are the car drivers who are 50 yards in front of you and doing 65-70 mph and look in the mirror at the last second and then slam on the brakes and cut in behind you flashing their lights and then giving you the 5 finger shuffle when they pass. HELLO YOU WHERE IN FRONT AND GOING FASTER D/HEAD

44 Tonne Ton:

dowahdiddyman:

I’ve used the hard shoulder when I’ve been unable to join purely to keep up my speed until a gap appears for me. Or would you prefer I stop dead at the give way line with a 44 tonne vehicle then try to join fast moving traffic from a standstill? As for other trucks joining when I’m on the main road I’ll make it easy for them to join as much as i can. I thought it’s basic commonsense as we all know how long it takes to get a truck rolling again.

No you don’t stop at the give way lines…what you do is adjust your speed so that you can filter into a suitable gap. I mean thats why slip roads are the length they are.

As other people have often said ITS NOT ■■■■■■■ ROCKET SCIENCE

jimmi:
the ones that ■■■■ me off are the car drivers who are 50 yards in front of you and doing 65-70 mph and look in the mirror at the last second and then slam on the brakes and cut in behind you flashing their lights and then giving you the 5 finger shuffle when they pass. HELLO YOU WHERE IN FRONT AND GOING FASTER D/HEAD

Got reported by a woman on A34 at Pear Tree a few years back for not moving over…and the TM at the time agreed with her “as it makes the company look courteous”. Not to the transporter driver overtaking me at the time it wouldn’t!

^ Very good!! :smiley:

Happened to me last night on M4 at Bath junction. Van coming down slip road at less than 62 mph, I had traffic nose to tail in middle lane…why couldnt he accelerate and go in front, or just tuck in behind?
He went down the hardshoulder for a while waving at me, before tailgating then overtaking. Of course, the obligatory foot on brake came next! what a very brave thing to do. Wonder what he would have thought had I just rammed him?!

Muckaway:

jimmi:

Got reported by a woman on A34 at Pear Tree a few years back for not moving over…and the TM at the time agreed with her “as it makes the company look courteous”. Not to the transporter driver overtaking me at the time it wouldn’t!

exactly muckaway, what are we supposed to do? slow down for every driver who cant see past the windscreen and forward plan a bit. if we did we wouldnt even get half our drops done. my advice to car drivers is: if you want to be in front of me and can safely get out in front get your foot down and get out of my way if not filter in behind and over take when safe and get out of my way. I didnt get out of bed with the sole intention of ■■■■■■■ you off but at the end of the day im on the main carrage way so its MY RIGHT OF WAY and up to you to filter in safely not me to slow down for you.

white lines= give way, wether the white lines are to the right of you ie on a slip road, or in front of you ie junction or roundabout, driving in europe it bugs me to admit this but they seem to have this down to near perfection, when vehicles are coming down a slip road they don’t wait to be flashed out or wait for a vehicle on the carriageway to slow down , they see a slight gap and they fill it, unlike here you get a vehicle coming down the slip road, they look, you look, you flash, they brake, you brake, you flash, they continue to brake, you continue to flash as you change gear from 12th down to 6th they then eventually realise that you are letting them out even tho its not required of you, then they ++++ off, leaving you with a mile of traffic behind you giving daggers, some drivers really are crap at driving in this country :slight_smile:

Semtex:

44 Tonne Ton:

dowahdiddyman:

No you don’t stop at the give way lines…what you do is adjust your speed so that you can filter into a suitable gap. I mean thats why slip roads are the length they are.

As other people have often said ITS NOT [zb] ROCKET SCIENCE

i couldnt agree more semtex,its actually quite easy if you got half a brain aint it.