Joining a motorway from a slip road

Its the lack of observation that gets me, Most seem to rely on you moving over but its alot harder to move over when your in a truck, cars can nip in and out but we can’t and this Is what car drivers don’t seem to understand.

If theres room for me to move over into lane 2 then i will out of common courtesy for a fellow driver but if i cant move over i dont slow down,it’s up to the joining drivers to filter in either in front or behind me.
Some drivers honestly dont know that they are suppose to give way on a slip road !

If everyone stopped jumping into lane 2 every time they came to a slip road then maybe they wouldn’t automatically expect it. Only got yourselves to blame. Personally I’ve never had a problem joining a mway or dc from a slip road. Some (read: majority) people just don’t know how to drive.

44 Tonne Ton:

dowahdiddyman:
Same as those so called professional drivers who come down the slip then carry on up the hard shoulder because you ain`t moved into the middle lane for them,despite the fact that there was a 44 tonner already in the middle lane.

I’ve used the hard shoulder when I’ve been unable to join purely to keep up my speed until a gap appears for me. Or would you prefer I stop dead at the give way line with a 44 tonne vehicle then try to join fast moving traffic from a standstill? As for other trucks joining when I’m on the main road I’ll make it easy for them to join as much as i can. I thought it’s basic commonsense as we all know how long it takes to get a truck rolling again.

I’m with u on this one 44 Tonne Ton…Have done it myself before and will do it again if i have to/safe to do so, ‘very occasionally’ i don’t think you would have much choice…i did type a whole paragraph but after a search, i came across this so deleted it and pasted a couple of bits…
Stopping or driving on the hard shoulder of a Motorway
Reg 9 Motorways Traffic (England and Wales) Regs 1982.
No Vehicle shall be driven or stop or remain at rest on any hard shoulder except:-
a) by reason of an accident, illness or other emergency, or
b) by reason of a breakdown or mechanical defect or lack of fuel, oil or water required for the vehicle, or
c) to permit any person carried in or on the vehicle to give help which is required by any other person in any of the above circunstances.
A vehicle at rest on a hard shoulder shall so far as is reasonably practicable be allowed to remain at rest in such a position that no part of it or its load shall obstruct or cause danger to vehicles using the carriageway. A vehicle shall not remain at rest on a hard shoulder longer than is necessary.The above may help one or two of you with the regulations concerning use of a hard shoulder.

The site that this came from is advanced-driving.co.uk/forum … p?f=2&t=68 and some of it is quite interesting…if u can’t be bothered to look, then read this taken from the site and the same ‘topic’…

I’d be interested on peoples views regarding when other road users can’t/wont allow you onto a motorway.
I find this to be a rare occurance, but it can/does happen to me.
I’m a very frequent motorway user, and an advanced driver, and given all my training, if I suffer it so will others, safety1st excluded ( whilst driving his patrol car).
It is most common when you have a line of heavys in lane one, with lane two/three busy, normally a heavy will adjust his speed to accomodate you by opening a gap, especially if you indicate, and adjust your speed to his ( both of which you should be doing anyway).
Being as familiar with motorways as I am, I’m petrified of standing still at the end of a slip road, and although I know it is against regulations, I have, providing I can see its clear, run down the hard shoulder, slower than the heavies, still indicating, so hopefully the one behind will open a gap for me.
Once stationary on a slip road, with traffic running normally on the motorway, you are stuffed big time, even with a fast car.
The authorities would not advocate you joining from the hard shoulder from a standing start, so why they advocate it from a slip road confuses me somewhat.

I would like to point out ( to not worry non motorway users too much ), that with all my high milage, this doesn’t happen often, probably once a year or so if I’m unlucky.
For the benefit of Robkipedia :wink: , i’m one of those that pulls into lane 2 if there’s a heavy coming down the slip…keeps us all movin along nicely thanx

bubsy06:
I will move over if there is room if there aint any room then they have 3 choices slow down and pull in behind, speed up and get in front, or get intimate.

PMSL

Muckaway:

jimmi:
the ones that ■■■■ me off are the car drivers who are 50 yards in front of you and doing 65-70 mph and look in the mirror at the last second and then slam on the brakes and cut in behind you flashing their lights and then giving you the 5 finger shuffle when they pass. HELLO YOU WHERE IN FRONT AND GOING FASTER D/HEAD

Got reported by a woman on A34 at Pear Tree a few years back for not moving over…and the TM at the time agreed with her “as it makes the company look courteous”. Not to the transporter driver overtaking me at the time it wouldn’t!

HMMM! :wink:

Semtex:

44 Tonne Ton:

dowahdiddyman:
Same as those so called professional drivers who come down the slip then carry on up the hard shoulder because you ain`t moved into the middle lane for them,despite the fact that there was a 44 tonner already in the middle lane.

I’ve used the hard shoulder when I’ve been unable to join purely to keep up my speed until a gap appears for me. Or would you prefer I stop dead at the give way line with a 44 tonne vehicle then try to join fast moving traffic from a standstill? As for other trucks joining when I’m on the main road I’ll make it easy for them to join as much as i can. I thought it’s basic commonsense as we all know how long it takes to get a truck rolling again.

No you don’t stop at the give way lines…what you do is adjust your speed so that you can filter into a suitable gap. I mean thats why slip roads are the length they are.

As other people have often said ITS NOT [zb] ROCKET SCIENCE

I was referring to the times when the muppets are tailgating and there ISN’T any gap to get into.

i always let them in their are enough idiots on the road without another one. its mind over matter. i dont mind and they dont matter :smiley:

But the problem is not just car drivers :open_mouth: Last monday traveling north up the m1 towards wooley edge services a well know green lorry that is on tv at the moment was in lane 1 it pulled out to over take and as im 3 parts past the driver accelerated back up the inside of me so i pulled back in behind then with that he slowed down again so i pulled back out and low and behold the same thing happend so again i pulled in behind untill we had a bit of a down hill and as i sucessfully passed him he would not make eye contact :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: Now how is that for proffesional drivng or is it me :unamused:

He sounds a bit of a berk. It’s not that he sped up downhill and slowed uphill was it? That’s what I tend to do, not to annoy anyone (constant-ish throttle if poss), but eventually I get overtaken as I’m usually <90kph.

to be honest i think weve got that many europeans in uk now the style is changing, look at how people abroad are taught to join a motorway, fast and get out of way… thats why i like it better in europe. in uk now we dont have a clue what too do as its uk driving v european driving which is clashing, thats why we are havin probs.

I very rarely move out if someone is joining. If they’re clearly heavier I may slow down a touch and make a gap but apart from that, it’s over to you.

I particularly hate car drivers who can’t see a gap and go for it.

A13 heading north east yesterday:
Red artic pulls onto very short on-ramp in front of me,no time to slow down,right indicator on,cars in lane 2 won’t give way,
[ they don’t have to,not their problem] I have to continue in lane 1…red artic ends up stationary in the gutter after slamming brakes,and both lanes come to a grinding halt.[view in mirror]

If there was any contact back there…You caused it mate.

grahamzx6r:
unlike here you get a vehicle coming down the slip road, they look, you look, you flash, they brake, you brake, you flash, they continue to brake, you continue to flash as you change gear from 12th down to 6th they then eventually realise that you are letting them out even tho its not required of you, then they ++++ off, leaving you with a mile of traffic behind you giving daggers, some drivers really are crap at driving in this country :slight_smile:

Mate,you are spot on.
There are so many people who haven’t got an ounce of roadsense and can’t anticipate their own and others’ next course of action whilst driving to keep the flow of traffic around them running smoothly.

Hi i have to agree with a lot you, you pull out into lane one only to left out there while the muppet in lane one slowly undertakes you leaving you stuck out there, or you have to back off loose all you momentum. Now i normal drive like a lot of european cousins do where you know that if your joining a motorway you have to merge with traffic, it works well!

I joined the M1 south at J14 yesterday on my way to London with my coach, there were two trucks in the inside lane following behind each other, the rear truck pulled out and let me in alongside when he had the opportunity to do so. I eased off and let him back in before passing both trucks when the opportunity arose. Not difficult is it? :wink:

No that’s how it should be done the motorway is major road tue sliproad I minor road the ltns dotted line sepatating the slip road and the motorway dc is a give way line traffic on the motorway has priorrity over traffic joining

It’s not hard that’s the law ofthe land end of