Johnny the driver

now what would you do
he has gone over the 4:30 no problem as he had parked up and had 1 hour brake but the guy forgot to put it onto rest
on return trip if was coming up on the dash to take his break so what did he do ■■
Pulled the card and did the 1hour 20min back to the garage with no card in :neutral_face:

Numpty. One of 2 courses of action,

Either stop and take a break, if you’re not in a hurry and don’t have an employer breathing down you neck. Keeps all records straight.
Or

Do a print put explaining you forgot to change mode to break. Technically could still get into trouble, but if its a one off event VOSA probably won’t be to worried, they’ve got better thing to do like dealing with driver who drive without a card.

So he’s failing to keep a record of his work. Big problem.

As said either park up and take a break (easiest)

or

Keep driving and then take a print out entering a ‘wrong mode’ error for the time of his original break, it might even pay him to stop and take a printout before going over his hours so he has evidence of his mistake should he be stopped on the drive home.

Once you have written something on a printout it’s down to VOSA to disprove your statement, no print out you is bang to rights.

No card is just stupid. If its a one off do a print out.

We’ve all made ■■■■ ups about mode, hardly surprising when the tacho is tucked away in the shadows and you need a mangifier to read the thing.

As above simply do a print out to show whats happened, 2 copies, sign both and write an explanation on both, hand one in as normal for the office records, keep the other in case stopped at some future date.

If this is a one off then VOSA would most likely not worry about it, but if things like this are a weekly happening and they see a pattern of deceipt… :open_mouth: :confused: :unamused: .

Pulling the card and running without is going to end in :cry: :cry: :cry: sooner or later.

As above. Do print out, write on back. VOSA realise people do this.

Writing it on the print out is likely to result in a ticking off. Pulling the card and driving without it is likely to result in a fine and being parked up on the spot for 24 or 45hrs.

We are all human and make errors - VOSA know this so accept a manual entry to cover it which is ok as long as its not a regular thing but pulling the card is a deliberate attempt to conceal something and that VOSA will not tolerate if they find out

I’ve done that. Parked up on about 4.20 bursting for a pee. Ran into the services…sweet relief, bought a paper, noticed how warm & cosy in the MSA it was so got a coffee and had a lovely hour on me bum relaxing. Only realised I hadn’t set the mode when after 10 mins driving all the tacho alerts started flashing. I was back on the motorway by this point so just ignored. At the end of my shift I printed out, wrote a full explanation and stapled it to the printout. I showed it to my boss the next morning explaining why it would report a driving infringement next time he read my card and he agreed it was the best thing to have done.
I suppose you would be able to see on the tacho that I was travelling at motorway speed, stopped fairly abruptly and didn’t move for an hour, then accelerated back up to motorway speed, so unless I was actually delivering to the MSA (easy to prove I wasn’t…CCTV!) what other reason for stopping at the MSA for an hour.

I’d just let him get on with it, who gives a zb…

Pimpdaddy:
I’d just let him get on with it, who gives a zb…

Sounds like he needs a lesson and if his employer knows anything about it they both need shot

Tipper Tom:
they both need shot

What in the kneecaps?:lol:

Pimpdaddy:

Tipper Tom:
they both need shot

What in the kneecaps?:lol:

I don’t think it matters where tbh

Tipper Tom:
I don’t think it matters where tbh

Ouch:lol::lol::lol:

Surely when the company do the vehicle tacho download they will that no card was in, or does it not show up?

running without card is a lot worse offence

well he is in on Saturday now

Off with his head!

Does a printout need to be done?

As I have been told on very good authority that only a record has to be taken explaining why the infringement happened eg a written explanation in a dairy.

Edit “No it wasn’t a CPC trainer” :wink:

DO NOT pull the card that looks like your hiding something (poorly I must say) plus I think that is a offence
if you just leave your card in and as above write a reason there normally fine with it long as its a one off

Dearie me - There would appear to be a fair few here who have difficulty with the OP’s question (Hint: He’s not asking what the driver should have done in the situation described - he’s asking what action should be taken against the driver for his failure to do it!).

If he’s a regular employee, then this is a disciplinary matter - At the very least some “words of advice” needed (assuming it was a one-off). Consider some in-house coaching or formal training (Driver CPC, anyone?). For repeated occurrences, then more formal action (e.g. written warning etc). If he’s an agency driver, then have words with the agency and instruct them not to send him in again.