John m.young/hudson shepherd

Wheel Nut:
I didnt know they got mixed up with Ontime, but Hudson Shepherd joined us oiks at United Carriers along with Ripponden & District, Scorpio International, Arrowfast, Atlas Express and Thompson Jewitt amongst others. Sovereign, Carpet Express, Mansped…

My brother Andy Butler,drove for both James shepherd when still in Hebden Bridge,then after the merger with Arthur Hudon’s of Pudsey when they moved to a new purpose built depot at Brighouse,he drove a Bedford KM for shepherd’s the a Leyland freighter at Brighouse,found a couple of pictures of the freighters from Brighouse.Sadly he passed away in 1999.

hudson-shepherd leyland frieghter 1.jpg

Hudson-shepherd leyland frieghter.jpg

Shepherd,s were originally from hebdenbridge and in the 60s ran a fleet of bedfords ,some of them were chinesse six and thry had a canvos roof ,otheres were just box vans they used to park them on land behind the white horse pub , they were painted green ,should have taken some photos but you know what it was like years ago we were all busy.
Cheers Richard.

CYRIL WHITLEYS were regulars on the A76 they ran into Darvel,Newmills, and Kilmarnock. Eddie.

scud:
Shepherd,s were originally from hebdenbridge and in the 60s ran a fleet of bedfords ,some of them were chinesse six and thry had a canvos roof ,otheres were just box vans they used to park them on land behind the white horse pub , they were painted green ,should have taken some photos but you know what it was like years ago we were all busy.
Cheers Richard.

Richard your right except it was the White lion pub,later they moved further up valley road above the garage,which was a Vauxhall dealers.I remember one of the chinese sixes being a flat bed,it was driven by Len Townsend who used to live just down the road from us just passed Heptonstall village.I remember the canvas topped KM’s and have attached a picture of a similar type.I rode with my brother during school holidays and spent quite a lot of time on the Scottish borders run,called off quite a lot at United carriers depot at Gretna.
regards Chris.

There is a pic of hudson shepherd waggon and drag on scrapbook thread page 20

Here`s one of Cyril Whitleys loading in Bradford just off Nelson St , my uncle is loading it with Whitleys mechanic Noel

pete smith:
There is a pic of hudson shepherd waggon and drag on scrapbook thread page 20

Thanks Pete,I remember seeing these Cargo’s and drawbars at Brighouse depot.they were used quite a bit on night trunk down to Flitwick depot,for onward deliveries in london area.Drivers used to drop both boxes and return with swaps for deliveries up this way.Had a few spare boxes sat in yard at Brighouse so if necessary could be loaded ready for trunk work.Have added picture.
regards
chris

chrisb01:

scud:
Cheers Richard.

Richard your right except it was the White lion pub,later they moved further up valley road above the garage,which was a Vauxhall dealers.I remember one of the chinese sixes being a flat bed,it was driven by Len Townsend who used to live just down the road from us just passed Heptonstall village.I remember the canvas topped KM’s and have attached a picture of a similar type.I rode with my brother during school holidays and spent quite a lot of time on the Scottish borders run,called off quite a lot at United carriers depot at Gretna.
regards Chris.

Chris your right about the name of the pub ,my mistake i,ve past it hundreds of times ,on the way home from devon or cornwall or even back from liverpol docks ,it was 7 miles from hebden bridge to oxenhope over cockhill and that tock an hour with an AEC sometimes we,d stop at pecket well, the robin hood just to cool of and have a quick pint’
Cheers Richard.

scud:

chrisb01:

scud:
Cheers Richard.

regards Chris.

Chris your right about the name of the pub ,my mistake i,ve past it hundreds of times ,on the way home from devon or cornwall or even back from liverpol docks ,it was 7 miles from hebden bridge to oxenhope over cockhill and that tock an hour with an AEC sometimes we,d stop at pecket well, the robin hood just to cool of and have a quick pint’
Cheers Richard.

Always a good excuse to stop Richard,we sometimes stopped before cockhill moor at the waggon & Horses,which was part way up the climb out of Oxenhope.There was also a farm cafe just before the bend next to radar station.
regards chris

Evening Chris you,d come past our yard in the middle of oxenhope on the left just before the bay horse,yes another pub,one of our local jobs was to collect the water bowser from the RAFradar station take it to our yard and fill it usually twice a week .The road over cockhill was busy back in the 60s. The tour de france went over it this summer but it was decided to call it oxenhope moor? maybe the wording was not translatable or maybe the word c–k was not politically correct.
Cheers Richard.

scud:
Cheers Richard.

Hi Richard, here is one of the chinese sixes.

Bedford.jpg
Regards. John.

old 67:

scud:
Cheers Richard.

Hi Richard, here is one of the chinese sixes.
Regards. John.

Hi John , thats a great photo just as i remember them ,is it your photo ie do you have the copywrite if so could i use it in the book i,m doing on wool haulage
Regards Richard.

Sorry Richard, the photo is not one of mine. I got it off the internet somewhere years ago. I have a folder of photos which have personal memories for me.
They are mostly photos of Ripponden and District ( I worked there for over 30 years ) and lorries I remember, whos drivers I worked alongside.
Shepherds drivers and mates used to collect textile goods from a lot of the same places I did in Manchester,and we had some good banter in the 60s.
I know what it is like want a photo no one seems to have ( Wormolds of Sowerby Bridge anyone ? ),so when I read your post I thought I would share the picture of the TK.
I wish you all the best with your book,wool haulage is a facinating subject and is deserving of such a project.
Regards. John.

old 67:
Sorry Richard, the photo is not one of mine. I got it off the internet somewhere years ago. I have a folder of photos which have personal memories for me.
They are mostly photos of Ripponden and District ( I worked there for over 30 years ) and lorries I remember, whos drivers I worked alongside.
Shepherds drivers and mates used to collect textile goods from a lot of the same places I did in Manchester,and we had some good banter in the 60s.
I know what it is like want a photo no one seems to have ( Wormolds of Sowerby Bridge anyone ? ),so when I read your post I thought I would share the picture of the TK.
I wish you all the best with your book,wool haulage is a facinating subject and is deserving of such a project.
Regards. John.

Hi john thanks for that i remember ripponden and district well with there albion cheiftans with there own stile of body they also had a wrecker if i recall a foden
Regards Richard.

scud:

old 67:
Regards. John.

Hi john thanks for that i remember ripponden and district well with there albion cheiftans with there own stile of body they also had a wrecker if i recall a foden
Regards Richard.

here’s a picture of Ripponden’s Foden wrecker,which was on another thread,put on by John(old 67) if i’m not mistaken.A brilliant shot thanks John.
regards Chris.

Ripponden & dist  Recovery vehicle..jpg

i drove for them for a few years. does anyone remember them? had depots at langholm,brighouse,bristol,dunstable.

auldyin54:
i drove for them for a few years. does anyone remember them? had depots at langholm,brighouse,bristol,dunstable.

En route from Langholm to Leyland for display at the BCVM, c.1994:

thanks for photos of no20 it takes me back a few years. idrove the last artic in the old jmy colours(E51WSM). theyclosed the gates when ONTIME took them over.

I didnt know they got mixed up with Ontime, but Hudson Shepherd joined us oiks at United Carriers along with Ripponden & District, Scorpio International, Arrowfast, Atlas Express and Thompson Jewitt amongst others. Sovereign, Carpet Express, Mansped…

Wheel Nut:

When we were up there collecting the old ERF, everything in the yard seemed to be in UCI/Hudson Shepherd livery except, IIRC, a yard shunt unit.