John James Transport, Lydbrook, Glos

Hi, I’m interested in any info or photo’s of John James transport from Lydbrook. Anything would be great…Cheers
Here’s one to get the ball rolling;

jj1.jpg
Thanks Bob for this one

How many lorries did they run Paul.Can’t remember them,but must have seen them around.
Cheers Dave.

Well I don’t really know, but what I do know is that he must have had a few Atki’s, ERF’s, 2800 Daf’s and the Scammell in the photo. He was mainly on coke and steel, I think he parked a few of them at Cinderford cause Lydbrook being a small village and his offices and workshop was right on the side of the main through road. Just spoke to our brother and he reckons about 20 trucks in all…

I remember there were several hauliers with fairly big fleets in the Forest a few years ago. Rich Griff who is a member on here might know a bit more.
Cheers Dave.

Only time I went into the office here was when I was looking to change my job! No luck, so I had to go back to “Young George” at Mitcheldean.
The lorries always looked well-kept, which was probably my reason for the visit- always liked a bit of bull!
The office (& very small yard) were almost opposite Edwards’ Transport in Lydbrook, although I suspect that by the time this photo was taken, Edwards’ had closed. Can anyone remember who was in the premises between Edwards and BFI?

Just found the answer to my question on the Atkinson thread.
If anyone else REALLY wants to know, it was Nuttall’s and Renwicks. Can’t remember which came first and haven’t a clue whether either are still operating.
While on the subject, I also found a photo on the Atkinson thread of one in Edwards’ livery. I’m blowed if I can remember that. The old grey cells are deteriorating ever faster each year that passes.

I think after Nuttall’s and Renwick’s left, it was used by Ingram & Furness, (not sure on the spelling) They were I think two-tone green lorries with white roofs but don’t quote me on that. I also think BFI were from Essex way. And years later the yard was used among others by a guy called Kenny Pearce ‘sooty black’, who ran a couple of either F10 or F12 Volvo’s and his dad John was ‘black prince’ who ran a Foden artic and parked it at Berryhill. Please forgive the surname spelling if it’s not correct… It’s surprising how inter-twined these things are from one time to another. I will ask our brother about Kenny and his dad.

Anything post-BFI is out of my timeline, I’m afraid. After I’d had enough of John Margrett’s moaning I decided to save him the expense of employing me and emigrated to Gloucester, beginning a ten-year stint on powder tankers.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Anything post-BFI is out of my timeline, I’m afraid. After I’d had enough of John Margrett’s moaning I decided to save him the expense of employing me and emigrated to Gloucester, beginning a ten-year stint on powder tankers.

Who was you on for driving powder tankers?cheers flourpower

Hi, Flourpower,
John Prosserin Monk Meadow Dock. Well, not actually IN the dock, but you know what I mean. Had a little plot and workshop just before Williams & Farmer, the timber people.
Hauled mostly cement from Rugby Cement’s various depots including Bristol Road, Gloucester, Newport and Sharpness.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Hi, Flourpower,
John Prosserin Monk Meadow Dock. Well, not actually IN the dock, but you know what I mean. Had a little plot and workshop just before Williams & Farmer, the timber people.
Hauled mostly cement from Rugby Cement’s various depots including Bristol Road, Gloucester, Newport and Sharpness.

I know where you mean sadly filled with houses now only Hobbs bros fuel left now in that area.I used to work for Healings flour mill and my dad before that he worked for Reynolds flour mill.Sent many an hour at Richard reads for parts and service.flourpower

Did quite a bit for the flour millers in Gloucester docks back in the “Good Old Days”- Handball the load on, catching the bags as they came hurtling down the chute, then carrying the bags (a hundredweight a time, none of this wimpy 25kg!) up granary steps into the loft of some one-man-band baker’s shop.
Then the boss lets you know that, had you worked a bit faster, you would have been back in time to reload ready for the next day.

Just Found this thread,duh! John James never had 20 trucks.He did own a couple of Leyland Bison tippers.No Daf,s when i worked there.We bought YDF 193K and it ended its days muckshifting in Brum.I havecine film of David James jumping out of one of the Scammels.I remember going to a local quarry with Johns,s Matador to put one of the bison,s back on its wheels.Hint; Never employ a coach driver to drive a tipper on site work,the y dont understand tipping angles!! John took me to an auction to buy a Guy big j tractor unit.We got there too late and all the Gardner ones had been sold.He bought one with a proper engine after a bit of bartering.All the Guy,s came from a steel works.

i lived opposite the yard when he was at his peak.he had a erf a series that went off the road at lower lydbrook loaded with sheet steel.if memory serves correct i think the house he hit had a fatality due to the lorry rolling down the bank into the house. PS leyland lover i think thats ydf there on the right

Retired Old ■■■■:
Only time I went into the office here was when I was looking to change my job! No luck, so I had to go back to “Young George” at Mitcheldean.
The lorries always looked well-kept, which was probably my reason for the visit- always liked a bit of bull!
The office (& very small yard) were almost opposite Edwards’ Transport in Lydbrook, although I suspect that by the time this photo was taken, Edwards’ had closed. Can anyone remember who was in the premises between Edwards and BFI?

after the death of don edwards, andrew took over, then was taken over by william nuttals.andrew edwards left and started up WTE transport (WTE being william thomas edwards ,the founder of edwards transport.) nuttals got absorbed into renwicks freight.then it was rented to ingram furness ,then bfi before having several small operators/ car breakers renting space there.the famous jones brothers now own the site,with planning for lots of houses.will post a pic of the site now and then.

There were two YDF reg tippers.The one we bought had much lower body than the one on your photo

So the “famous Jones brothers” are now into land development? Well, as Cliffy used to say, “If there’s a shilling to be made, I’ll do it”.

The Bison IS the one we bought :blush: Little brother saw the photo and reminded me that he modified the body for muckshifting.I had forgot that :blush: However I do remember changing the engine.When we bought it the engine had a knock which was the block broken at the front of crankcase.A breaker out at Tamworth had stacks of engines that had been taken out of BOC,s fleet.

I remember john james having a new w reg daf 2800 artic in 1981, driven by " superstitch", aka graham averis

Graham Averis,that name rings a bell. :neutral_face: