Jobs in South West Scotland

Alright people.

Going to be moving to south west scotland soon. We’re buying a house somewhere between Newton Stewart and Ayrshire (still looking) but chances are it will be somewhere remote, like Whithorn, Bladnoch or Garliston or it could be as far up as Ballantrae, Dunure or Girvan. Obviously given the locations mentioned, I’ll have a bit of a commute to the nearest big places, like Kilmarnock and Dumfries, but tramping is something I’m willing to do, so the commute there and back once a week will be more justifiable.

Anyway, to the point - does anybody know any reputable hauliers in Dumfries, Kilmarnock and any other surrounding areas? Anybody on here live up them areas with any personal experience of jobs around there? Jobs don’t seem to be as available as they are down here in Liverpool.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

How do Endgame, my in laws live in dumfries . I will ask my Mrs to ask her ma to ask her step-da who is a skip driver in Dumfries.

I lived up there for 6 months, near killed me. Couldn’t wait to get back to liverpool

get yourself in with any of the irish mobs that have trailers parked at the cairn 24/7 theres plenty of jobs there if 1 you want to become a tang lookalike,and 2 if you want to gamble on the a75 gauntlet of friendliness constantly. lots of them are running legal,and lots of them arnt. the fun will be finding out what ones suit you best,though expect the wages to be pish.there will be Scottish work starting and ending on daily basis at the cairn which may help you keep your licence if you stay of the 75 as much as poss.companies like calgow or the other norfolkline subbies will be busy poor men fighting for the scraps of jobs that don’t pay so don’t hold your breath for quality work,go direct to montys or mc burneys places like that and itl be average money and workload. the subbies will be peanuts and pish.

Endgame:
Alright people.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Pm sent, let me know you got it

Nice one lads. I’ll check that out.

Sinclair, I’ve messaged ta back bud.

Diesel, I’ve been to and seen Loads of trailers parked up in cairnryan, but when I look for jobs on the Internet, nothing shows up for cairnryan. Are you saying to check jobs over in Ireland/NI?

phone the n.i companies,you will lift the truck in the cairn,and ship it across,or just shunt trailers from the boat and back…just phone them and shouldn’t be too difficult to get work.i wouldn’t bother with calgow,jollys/same mob,try the bigger names 1st if your not wanting to be on 1st name terms with the castle kennedy brigade. they were open when I passed last thurs night at midnight ffs! happy days…montys were looking I thik it was 400 for 5 days,theres always the jobcentreonline n.i if you want to see how bad it is over here ,but most of the big names should listen to you if your wanting to be based in stranraer,thers lenty that are already.

Hi Endgame,

That is my Wife & I’s plan in 2018 when my current contract comes to an end. As such I’ve been looking up Haulage companies in the area for future note. Around Dumfries/Lockerbie you have John Miller Ltd for general haulage & timber, Currie European and also Stobart’s for recycle.

Gretna I think there is a DHL hub that I have seen as you come off the motorway but not 100% sure on that one. If your that side, then Carlisle is just down the road back in England.

South of Glasgow around Motherwell and Belshill there are quite a few companies - S1Jobs website always has jobs going in these regions.

Let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

these are all looking now…
mcullas arnt bad,as is woodside,then theres the more down to earth reality stuff on offer…you can work legal for morgan if you want…then theres the rest…may your god go with you… :wink:
raymond@mcculla.eu or telephone: 028 9263 3651.
kellywhite@woodsides.com
info@morganmclernon.com
info@ricecontinental.com
ethel@laverytransport.co.uk

John miller
Curries
Jenkinsons
Stobarts

Plenty of smaller outfits in and around Dumfries.

Newton Stewart less so, more likely places calgow and mvh.

Go the Irish route as already mentioned.

Depending where you end up you could be easier working out of ayr.

Thanks Diesel mate. I’ll follow up each and every one of those links.

I actually like the idea of shunting trailers over to NI. I like the A75 (I like that area of Scotland in general, to be honest) I wouldn’t wanna be illegal though. Only got my class 1 last November, so I plan on keeping it!

Happysack, have pm’d ya buddy.

Oh another thought. .Richardson of Stranraer

There FedEx just at Dumfries and Palletline Company in Heathhall Industry estate + NHS have jobs all time driving in and around the borders.

Dk malcolm Dumfries

Cheers lads. John Miller already sounds promising (Lockerbie) told me to ring them as soon as I’m settled up there.

Was a bit worried at first like, thought there wouldn’t have been much knocking about but It turns out there’s a fair few.

Such nicer scenery up in scotland. Can’t bloody wait.

Endgame:

I actually like the idea of shunting trailers over to NI. I like the A75 (I like that area of Scotland in general, to be honest) I wouldn’t wanna be illegal though. Only got my class 1 last November, so I plan on keeping it!

keeping your licence and wanting to drive up and down the 75 arnt exactly compatible,even if you try to drive legal its 97 miles of the most truckie unfriendly road in Europe to my knowledge.either you get one speeding,or you get pulled to see what your hiding because you arnt speeding,then there the new castle kennedy to be paid for…

dieseldog999:

Endgame:

keeping your licence and wanting to drive up and down the 75 arnt exactly compatible,even if you try to drive legal its 97 miles of the most truckie unfriendly road in Europe to my knowledge.either you get one speeding,or you get pulled to see what your hiding because you arnt speeding,then there the new castle kennedy to be paid for…

Doesn’t seem fair that some truckers ruin the experience for others. I wouldn’t drive illegally. I’d make sure when and if I end up on the 75, that my vehicle checks are done and my load is secured and not overloaded. Then VOSA can pull me up all they like. I generally stick to speed limits so I can’t see me having too many problems.

I do have a question though. I’ve noticed the 75 has that over 7.5 tonne 40mph signs on it. Is that a mandatory limit, with it having a red circle around it? So by speeding, do you mean drivers going over 40mph? Did the single and dual carriageway limits get increased in Scotland?

No its still 40 miles an hour so if you plan on sticking to the speed limits mate expect half of south west Scotland to be behind you tooting and hollering.

mick.mh2racing:
No its still 40 miles an hour so if you plan on sticking to the speed limits mate expect half of south west Scotland to be behind you tooting and hollering.

I usually stick to speed limits anyway. I don’t mind using the 10% leniency thing, but banging on horns and hollering doesn’t bother me. I won’t risk getting my clean licence marked up because I’m being pressured by impatient drivers!

Sticking to the limit? Be prepared for a rough life!

Endgame:

dieseldog999:

Endgame:

Doesn’t seem fair that some truckers ruin the experience for others. I wouldn’t drive illegally. I’d make sure when and if I end up on the 75, that my vehicle checks are done and my load is secured and not overloaded. Then VOSA can pull me up all they like. I generally stick to speed limits so I can’t see me having too many problems.

I do have a question though. I’ve noticed the 75 has that over 7.5 tonne 40mph signs on it. Is that a mandatory limit, with it having a red circle around it? So by speeding, do you mean drivers going over 40mph? Did the single and dual carriageway limits get increased in Scotland?

Something to bear in mind is the Two Speed Limits which I never knew exisits in Scotland is the difference between England HGV Speed Limits and Scotland HGV Speed Limits!

Single Carriage ways is the Max of 40mph
Dual is the 50mph
Motorways is the 60mph

however I was told in England you can drive Up to 50mph on a Single Carriage way if its marked as National Speed Limit or is 50

You might want check with somebody more qualified than me being a newbie but it was just brought up in my Pratical Driver Training.