Jobs in Australia? - new thread

Hello all, I thought I would pop in and say hello.

I have been seeking a sponsor in Australia for quite sometime now, after I came back from having a year out there on a student’s visa. I worked for a removal company and I was offered a business out there which I kick myself for not buying when I had the opportunity, as I had a business in the UK.

I decided to set up a website to promote my resume etc and I contacted all the big companies in Australia like the Toll group with no apparent success.

I had a phone call about two month ago from an Australian who is looking to recruit English Truck drivers to drive road trains in Australia on a sponsored visa. He had come across my site

I said I would see what the response is out there. As I’m an agency driver (and very happy) I meet quite a few different drivers and the younger drivers are keener than the middle aged ones.

Is there anyone out there who would be interested?

I’m not sure how this will turn out as it’s a new venture for this Australian truck driver but it sounds like he has the right connections.

Thanks Roly

Oh did any one read the daily dairies if Neil the truck driver who worked in Iraq………….what a great job wish the company still had the contract would of minded doing that.

HI Roly,

Yep,I am well up for that,I have been trying to secure a sponser for a few months now,I have a guy in Brisbane thats interested but he is only a small outfit and is struggleing with the politics of it.
I am just back from 2yrs in New Zealand(don’t say it,cause I have heard it to often),and I am climbing the walls to get away from the UK.
Hopefully we can help each other out with this.
Cheers,
John

Hi John,

I understand what you mean about climbing the walls to get away from the UK. As an agency driver there is plenty of work here and the pay is not too bad as well, but you know what I’m saying. I went to emigrate 2005 show and it was packed solid with people wanting to move away so others have the same idea as us.

I went for a job, as a truck driver in New Zealand but things was not right about the company so I did not go for it. I thought go to New Zealand for a couple of years and move to Australia but it does not seem to work that way.

What experience did you have in New Zealand?

Please keep in touch John and when I get any news will e-mail you.

Roly

If you are thinking of moving abroad then this show is great Opportunities Abroad Show.

outboundpublishing.com/cgi-b … tem=000001

My wife and I went to this show last year and it was great, go early and book your tickets as you will wait in the queue.

Roly

i would definately be interested its got to the stage now where i would walk to wherever to get out of uk!!

Did you go to the emigrate show, had a friend who went and the queue was enormous. But he said it was well worth the wait.

Similiar expo/shows are on in Australia at present.discussions about visa’s,employers seeking staff etc.
The Immigration website is;
www.immi.gov.au
In Victoria there is a push to have regional cities gain more population and a tip-on your visa application/inquiry make it clear that you wish to reside in a regional/country town and it will give you extra"brownie points" :smiley:

Also a good immigration site for Victoria;
www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au
This site has a lot of info and how to apply etc. :smiley:

Hi Boots, thanks for the info, I have found if you migrate to Queensland you will get extra brownie points as well as they have a low population, will find out the link where I gained the info.

My wife and I went to Queensland and the house prices are really good out there.

Funny Boots to mention Regional area looking for drivers

I had an interesting e-mail from a migration company in Australia who I had e-mailed last week and they are looking at recruiting truck drivers.

The type of visa what they are looking at is a Regional Sponsor Visa.

What they say is Perth has a great shortage of truck drivers and they are looking for trucking firms there to sponsor truck drivers out of Australia.

HI GUYS
JUST BACK FROM A MONTH IN PERTH WA. LOVED EVERY MINUTE,
DECIDED ITS THE PLACE TO BE .I MADE A FEW ENQUIRIES WHEN THERE. ARTICULATED(CLASS1).YOU CAN GET AN AUSSIE HC LICENCE WITH WRITTEN PROOF FROM YOUR EMPLOYER OF TYPE OF VEHICLES DRIVEN,OTHERWISE YOUR LICENCE WILL BE DOWNGRADED TO CLASS2.
THERE IS ALSO A FAIRLY EASY THEORY TEST ,10 CORRECT FROM 20 AND THEY GIVE YOU THE SHEET TO REVISE.
ALSO SPOKE TO A MIGRATION AGENT WHO TOLD ME THAT THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF DRIVERS IN THE SOUTH. (CHECKED THIS OUT,VERY TRUE)
THE AREAS MENTIONED WERE BUNBURY. AND MANDURAH .HE IS MAKING SOME PHONE CALLS ON MY BEHALF. IF YOU HAVE AN EMPLOYER WHO IS WILLING TO SPONSER YOU YOU BOTH MUST SIGN A CONTRACT FOR TWO YEARS AND BE ON A SALARY OF AT LEAST 39,100 PER ANNUM.
SO IT IS POSSIBLE, ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS FIND THAT AUSTRALIAN EMPLOYER.

colandjo:
IF YOU HAVE AN EMPLOYER WHO IS WILLING TO SPONSER YOU YOU BOTH MUST SIGN A CONTRACT FOR TWO YEARS AND BE ON A SALARY OF AT LEAST 39,100 PER ANNUM.
SO IT IS POSSIBLE, ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS FIND THAT AUSTRALIAN EMPLOYER.

There are plenty of Australian Haulage companies out there, but they are not willing to do the paperwork to sponser you. I have sent e-mail after e-mail to all the big and small companies out there, you either get a silent reply or get one saying we will look into it, hey presto nothing.

The salary of 39,100 is not a lot I have seen trucking companies pay $100,000 a year for a truck driving job 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.

I just keep banging out the e-mails, you just never know

Try migration matters website ,there is an article on it that says they are looking for truck drivers.I have been sent the application pack and going to give it a go.They dont specify much though ,No employers name,Regional australia etc etc.Interesting article though ,gives a wee bit of hope.
all the best ,
Col

colandjo:
Try migration matters website ,there is an article on it that says they are looking for truck drivers.I have been sent the application pack and going to give it a go.They dont specify much though ,No employers name,Regional australia etc etc.Interesting article though ,gives a wee bit of hope.
all the best ,
Col

Migration Matters, what a joke, sent my application over 3 months must be and after that I heard nothing at all. chosen.1 can back me up on this.

I sent another application of interst to another migration company and still the same results Zilch

hi guys my first post so go easy.
here are a few clues.
one is a large company called linfox web site www.linfox.com they do alot of distribution etc several hundred trucks worth a look.
the other is for road trains. no guarantees either but they are always looking for drivers but remember this if you drive road trains expect very high temperatures 40-50oC are common in the out back ,small towns very boring,. and very long hours 12 hours plus is the norm. and driving 100+ tonnes of vehicles on dirt roads isnt every ones cup of tea. quite often these are fairly short hauls as well web site mitchellcorp.com.au/

to drive a road train you need a MC licence or multi combination same for b- double. its hard to get into in to MC work but once your in the money is alright

and yes the roads aren’t as busy as the roads in the UK
have fun
meggala

Meggala:
to drive a road train you need a MC licence or multi combination same for b- double. its hard to get into in to MC work but once your in the money is alright

Drove mine, Mack Thermodyne, semi, and 2 dogs after converting my UK HGV licence (no test, grandfather rights :wink: ) to an NT ‘Lorry Driver’s Licence’. :laughing:
Not hard to get the job, mistook the words ‘twin stick’ for ‘twin steer’ when asked about my experience and said ‘yes, of course’. :open_mouth:
I didn’t write home about the money though, but they did let me sleep in the bunkhouse when I was back at base and had completed a full service at the end of each trip :cry: .

Mind you this was 1967 :laughing: .

Come in spinner, welcome to Trucknet, there’s a few yarns in here :wink: :laughing:

Salut, David.

Hi Meggala,Welcome to TN.

There are a few of us here banging our heads against bickwalls trying to get out of the UK…It is very difficult to convince these companies to go through all the red tape for us to secure Visas,because governments refuse to acknowledge Truck Driving as a profesional Occupation.
I have E-mailed both the companies you sugested,and countless others,very few even mail you back to say no.Mitchell’s did a big recruitment drive in New Zealand recently and took back a rake of drivers.
He who dares,wins.So I keep trying.

John

have E-mailed both the companies you sugested,and countless others,very few even mail you back to say no

emails are very easy to send hence their value is dimished a phone call or a snail mail letter quite often shows people you are serious and are prepared to invest some money in your search. lastly mitchells are also seeking people to purchase trucks and equipment this might be another angle to work on.
lastly the internet is not the be all and end all over here people are still resisting change and dont want to fully understand. the power of this medium.

Dont give up there will be loop hole some where or a company prepared to give you a chance.the life style is definatly worth the effort and the industry here isn’t as highly regulated as in the US. I have just started with just a small 6 tonne truck my own and have already found 3-4 days work direct to a large pubilc company. getting the same money as I would working through an agency for 5 days. The shoratage of drivers mean that companies look for owner drivers as these look after their clients and the clients customers better than the driver who works for a boss.
one last comany to try they arent huge but worth a shot but it not driving semi’s but is long distance.trewintransport.com.au/

cheers.

Think of us on new years eve it was 43oC here in melbourne it was still 42oc @ 7pm, 30oC @ 10 pm… try cooking a barbie in that heat . life is tough

Its not just E-mails I have tryed mate,I have had letters published in Truck’n Life Mag.I did get a couple of responces from that ,but it is very dificult to convince companies that it is worth the grieff that they have to go through to get a driver behind the wheel.
I am getting more and more tempted to come over and do a bit of door knocking,that way they will know I am serious…

a site i found which has its own forum is www.roadtrains.com.au theres a few links to companies on there :laughing: