Jobs in Australia? - new thread

hi guys . Ive sent loads of emails etc ,since last post and to date got no where on the aussie move. Even despite getting on really well with someone in the south west development corp.Who are ,on official paperwork as needing heavy truck drivers.She has sent my cv to numerous companies in the south west but no one seems to have any vacancies (aye right) .Just had some good news about a friend of a friend who moved over to nz last week,apparently we are on their skills in immediate demand list. So i know what im looking into.

Tell you what Colandjo, If you are serious about NZ,you are going to have to bite the bullet and get on a plane.You will not get a job offer sitting in the UK.Try www.martinpersonnel.co.nz ,but they will tell you the same.

Hi chosen.1,you are probably right about jumping on a plane.I have heard of people going over for a holiday then applying for a visa once there,do you think this is a good idea?The guy i was talking about before went to a recruitment fair in the uk and landed a job.There is one in glasgow in march which i will be going to so fingers crossed ,but if that doesn’t work out then i will definately will be saving for a visit towards the end of the year,all the best Col.

Yep,its the only way to go bud.But a word of warning,you will need a couple of years proof of experience Driving.To convert your Class 1 to NZ equivilant you just have to sit a theory test,but you will also need to sit a forklift license(you tip and load yourself in NZ),and most jobs require you to have a Dangerous goods certificate.It is only a days course for both.How old are you?

hi chosen 1. i knew you needed proof of your driving history for converting your licence in western australia ,i went to the licencing center in perth who were very helpfull.It wouldnt bother me sitting the theory test its just one of those things.I have my counterbalance forklift , and hiab certificate but these would probably be out of date by the time we were to move.Im 34 and held my class 1 for 10 years plus,most of my driving has been on class2 but i do have experiance on artics as well.
all the best
col

I just thought that if you were under 30 you could have done the Working Holiday Scheme.You would have to sit the tests for Forklifts and DGs in NZ because you need the D and F endorsements put on to your Driving license.

Hi
Has any body got any experience of driving and living in NZ

Whats the money like and the cost of living,and the hours of work etc.etc.
Thanks.

Just as the UK,mate.Depends where you go as to the hourly rate,more money up North Island.

Cost of living is quite high.

14hrs a day,11hrs driving,5.5hrs driving=30mins break.

Hi folks, new member, so hence the delay…been reading this thread with great interest as I too am trying to find a way of emigrating to Oz as a hgv driver.Was in Perth W.A last year and loved it !!! My cousin is a T/M there and tells me constantly that the driver shorage is worse than the one we have in the U.K. Anyhow, we are going back in December for a month so if you guys have any leads on doors I could knock on that would be great.Now that ive joined this site ,if I hear any info that can help our cause I will post it for you soon as, cheers all shade

Hi Mate,

if you have any luck let me know. I have been trying for 2 years to get to Oz, sent hundreds of emails to recruitment agencies, migration agents and haulage companies direct but nothing has come of it. No one wants to sponsor someone they haven’t met who is then gonna take 3 - 6 months for visa approval.

So if you find a lead let me know…

Cheers and good luck!

I realy think your waste’n your time chasing a sponsor in Oz, I have exhausted just about every avenue, unless you want to go down the Harvest route.

New Zealand is the best bet for a work permit as a Truck Driver, theres as big a shortage here as there is in Oz.

Hi chosen.1
Are you in NZ at the moment?

Hi,
Yep, I did 2yrs in the South Island, came back to the UK for 6mths and decided to come back to NZ, the North Island this time bout 10wks ago warmer here.
I wasted too much time pushing for a work permit for Australia, I would get so far and then it was like 2 steps forward and 3 back.
I had the Licenses for NZ,so we arrived on the Sunday with a list of companies I had mail shot my CV 2 and wanted to see me, I had my job offer on the Monday and took 6 wks for my visa to be approved.
Dead easy, but it’s not the easiest or cheapest option for everyone.

Hi Chosen 1
I know what you mean 2 steps forward 3 steps back.One minute im pricing flights to Aus then the next it seems farther away than ever.
Do you think thats you in NZ for good if so can you get pr / citizenship as a truck driver.I have spoken to an ex pat in Hamilton who has said the hours are long 60/70 for not great pay and employers want you to run bent,Does this sound right or not? Be interested to hear your opinion, and experiences.
cheers all the best Col.

Hi,

just read the last post…No you cannot at present get citizenship as a Truck Driver in New Zealand. It’s a 3 year work permit that is renewable for as long as Truck Driving stays on the short term skills list. If in the future the NZ govt decides to put it on the long term skills shortage list then you may have the opportunity to work to residence, but again certain criteria has to be met.

In Aus you go in on a 4 year work permit but after 2 years you can apply for citizenship and permanent residence…if you can get there in the first place!!! :confused:

Shep

Hey mate, If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!!

Yep, I do average 67-68 hrs per week, Mon-Fri, but on the plus, I am home every night, and no weekend work. Certainly there is Bent Running going on, but like the UK, find a good company and it wont happen, it’s up to the driver at the end of the day.If you think VOSA are tuff on Drivers, you aint seen nothing yet. The CVIU here hit you where it hurts, the pocket!!I have never been asked to run bent, but as in the UK I have done it for my benifit.The wages are never enough, are they?

I am here to stay, I just keep renewing my Work Permit every few years, not major headache, few forms,medical and couple of hundred quid.It will come that we will be able to apply for residency.