Jobs for Driving in Europe - ideally France

Hi, firstly apologies if this a repetitive type post or answered elsewhere…

I’ve been driving round the UK for sometime on artics, now ready for a change and would like to go across the channel.

I’ve been struggling to find jobs that will take me into Europe on the web, just seem to bump into UK based roles.

Anyone got either a company recommendation or a decent website to search for international jobs.

Many thanks, Rich.

(PS am ■■■■■■■ based but willing to locate for a decent option)

There’s very little left now. Last time I was on the Dover-Calais ferry, not only was I the only British driver on the boat, I think I was the only western European driver on it. But depending on your parameters for relocation, this firm still do a fair bit of continental work.

alcaline.uk.com/

Harry Monk:
(…) this firm still do a fair bit of continental work.

alcaline.uk.com/

Thanks for the --not always good-- old days memories: 2004 taking car parts brought from Italy to be delivered in Jaguar B’ham, based in Aylesford or thereabout down in Kent. Back then left-hand drive vehicles as far as I recall, it’s been a while though…

It aint what it was......but... Fraser Freight / FTL / Davies / all based around Pompey. But since youre doing a week or two, some drivers live many hours away. Weeks work, short break away/depot...weeks work, long break at home.
Some Scottish fridges doing fish etc. Some removals companies. Some others but not many doing regular work.

Nowhere near the amount of UK trucks there were, and (almost) zero chance of going on for an EU company now.
If you do get a run over the other side: Good, enjoy! It is a different world if you get on for a decent company.

Fair play for wanting to do Euro work but why ideally France ?

I’m astonishing at these answers so far, driving around the UK I swear half the other artics I see are foreign, how come we don’t get to go abroad?

stu675:
I’m astonishing at these answers so far, driving around the UK I swear half the other artics I see are foreign, how come we don’t get to go abroad?

Andd we`re off!

Suedehead:

I wondered the same.
Generally great roads, good restaurants, well supported for driver facilities and not a country that views trucks as a nuisance…to start with.
The O/p could go to Nolan’s who are expanding again.

The UK has a negative trade balance. It is markedly greater in goods than in services.
We bring in much more stuff than we export.

In theory at least, all UK goods could be taken by foreign hauliers as cheap back-loads.
The rates for many UK exports are rubbish. OK to go home with (for foreigners) , but not so good to run away with (for UK hauliers) Not all goods of course, but in general it is so.

When in the EU, UK hauliers are strictly limited in the movements they can make. (Cabotage rules)
The UK Gov relaxed the Cabotage rules for foreign hauliers working in the UK earlier. Enabling foreign trucks do more domestic UK than previously, and more than UK trucks can do in the EU. Consequently foreign trucks do less empty miles, and run more efficiently. (cheaper for customers)

Brexit has made for loads of extra problems, but those are pretty much the same for UK/EU trucks.

OwenMoney:

Suedehead:

I wondered the same.
Generally great roads, good restaurants, well supported for driver facilities and not a country that views trucks as a nuisance…to start with.

People like you are ruining the job!
I can`t afford to pay my ex-boss to drive his truck no more. Others are offering even more bribes than me to get French work.

OwenMoney:

Suedehead:

I wondered the same.

Skinned and Knackered are also advertising for Euro drivers . Benelux one week away, all of Euro 2 or 3 weeks away.

Still a few out there doing channel hoping work only going a few hours from Calais and back. Once you get down the corridor out of Belgium into Germany it gets a bit baron for English firms. I have spent the last 5 weeks going to Germany and back as far North as Cuxhaven and South below Stuttgart, probably only seen single figures of UK/Irish lorries out there.

As mentioned if you just want France FTL in Portsmouth will sort you out as they send plenty out on each crossing to Caen. Fridge companies like Conway Bailey, Broughtons, DK Barnsley etc will send you to Rungis and reload somewhere else back. I feel that work would get boring and anti social hours quickly though.

Fred edmondson in Morecambe are after drivers and run to Europe regular.

edmondsonfreight.co.uk/new-site/careers/

Not sure what they are like to work for but worth a phone call at least

Insight nr Worcester are after a Driver for European work , mainly runs to Gib .

itltransport.com/

Suedehead:

Hi, I just happened to have spent a bit of time over the years driving in France for holidays over the years, but never an truck. So it would at least be a bit familiar for a first crack over the channel.

Rich

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Some good pointers and insight as to why UK outbound isn’t so busy. So will do a bit of interweb research.

Rich

Richard Long Transport
HGV Class 1 (C+E) EUROPEAN DRIVER
Wymondham, Norfolk
uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=0539 … rom=native

But you may want to have a look at some previous threads on this forum first before deciding if you want to contact them :smiley:

Oh, and the total number of commercial vehicles using Dover, and the Channel tunnel, is less now than in the mid 20-teens.
So a smaller proportion, of a smaller number of trucks (using the biggest truck routes) are UK owned.
And unless you hold an EU passport you will find it hard to get a start on a mainland EU company.

As Owen mentioned Nolan`s, maybe look at Eire companies? Keep your eyes open though.

spike78:
Insight nr Worcester are after a Driver for European work , mainly runs to Gib .

itltransport.com/

This is a transport company, talking about taking a few oversize loads to Spain…

Insight Trans Logistics Ltd started off by taking a holistic approach to understanding the project and identifying any bottlenecks within the process of the project

:unamused: :unamused: :grimacing:

djt1881:
Richard Long Transport
HGV Class 1 (C+E) EUROPEAN DRIVER
Wymondham, Norfolk
uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=0539 … rom=native

But you may want to have a look at some previous threads on this forum first before deciding if you want to contact them :smiley:

Ahhhh RL. I had a mate who worked for a very short while for him. The horror stories he told me raised an eyebrow.