Job sorted!

Hi all,

Got given 4 weeks notice a month ago from factory job so been looking for a driving job, happy to say I’ve been given the opportunity after a 3rd attempt at an interview!

1st interview their H.R dept hadn’t told transport dept so no one was there when I turned up! And second interview attempt got rescheduled to yesterday. Well I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe third time lucky, and I was right :sunglasses: .

Gonna start in 7.5t for a month then up to 18t if all goes well!

So the message is to keep trying all the local hauliers and put yourself out there, even like me with no Hgv experience since passing test. And bear in mind you gotta budget for your travel to and from work as well. And don’t get yourself down like I nearly did lol :open_mouth:

D’ Bear

Well done pal.

Perseverance brings success.

Well done pal, let us know how you get on, all the best!

Cheers chaps, your not wrong about perseverance beav’ :wink:.

Start Thursday to learn the ropes with another driver and Friday. Then out on my own Monday, really chuffed.

I thought they was mugging me off at first but it’s paid off. Yea I’ll let u guys know how it goes defo.

Regards

Well I’ve done my two day assessment and I’m starting on my own Monday in a 7.5t!

I’ve learned how to open/close a curtainside, and it’s general use. And the internal straps coz it’ll be pallet deliveries. Using a pump truck or if the customer has a forklift - result :wink:

Actually got to drive for half the shift yesterday which was brilliant. I hadn’t been in a lorry since passing test and what a difference, this was a 63’ plate MAN 18t compared to the V reg Renault that I passed in. The brakes and steering were so much more responsive, which is good of course. But the turning circle is actually worse? :confused: , I had to shunt it a couple of times when entering tight builders merchants yard but it’s all part of the learning curve. I also used the PDA to sign deliveries, like most of them you can’t see the bloody screen in the sunlight! And when lorry was empty we collected about 8 tonnes of paper on pallets, so was well aware of the weight difference, and braking distances lol :wink: !

So I’ve had a great couple of days learning and now can’t wait to see what Monday brings!
The guy training me was called Jim and he’s an absolute gent, so cheers mate :sunglasses:

If anyone’s got any comments feel free, and I’ve put an ad in the vacancies section coz they are still recruiting so good luck if you apply, I’ve been there two days and they seem like a great bunch to work with/for

Regards

D 'Bear

All sounds good pal! :smiley:

Hopefully with a bit of luck (once you have proved yourself) they will be throwing the keys to something bigger at you!

Good luck!

Cheers mate, I’ll fly around in a 7.5 compared to what I was in yesterday lol! I’d like to say I’ve landed on my feet this time which don’t happen often haha :slight_smile:

Nice one DB. Its really nice to read positive comments about truck driving. There seems to be lots of doom and gloom merchants who diss driving wagons.

Doesn’t stop them from still doing it though does it??

eagerbeaver:
Doesn’t stop them from still doing it though does it??

Na it don’t lol! But I like it and you like it so that’s wot counts :sunglasses: , they could always get another job and moan on another forum haha.

Hope all is good with you

Regards

Well done mate, hope you enjoy it :smiley:

Cheers Bob, I will do mate :sunglasses:

See what kinda day I have on Monday if anything worth posting on here.
I’m just aching to get back on the road, it’s definitely a new job feeling lol!

Its an MAN, a battle barge from Warhammer 40K has a better turning circle. Oh and since you are carrying paper, please for the love that is holy make sure you strap that down! Always use ratchet straps as much as you can, don’t rely soley on the internals as they don’t hold for toffee specially when you can stacks or rolls that can weigh up to a ton or more. Also, keep an eye on your front end when loading paper. Its very easy to have 2-3 ton loaded at the front if you aren’t careful.

…and they are still advertising? I am amazed as I would have thought every 7.5 tonne driver would be banging the door down to work for this company :confused:

Radar19:
Its an MAN, a battle barge from Warhammer 40K has a better turning circle

Tell me about it lol! We did strap it down with ratchets, I just meant the internals and curtains I’d never used before. And only had one pallet at the front, the rest two by two and one behind. If I remember rightly the front axle limit is 1500 kg and these pallets were just under a ton each

I’ve never played war hammer so I’ll take your word for it Radar :sunglasses:

Regards

alder:
…and they are still advertising? I am amazed as I would have thought every 7.5 tonne driver would be banging the door down to work for this company :confused:

Well it’s up to them ain’t it? I’m happy enough just to have my foot in the door tbh

alder:

Or was that some sort of dig at me? Coz u seem to be like a right moody ■■■■■■ on that other topic I see

Cheer the ■■■■ up!

Dan Bear 87:

alder:

Or was that some sort of dig at me? Coz u seem to be like a right moody [zb] on that other topic I see

Cheer the [zb] up!

Just saying how very lucky you are to land this fantastic opportunity. Please keep posting on here so we can follow your career and maybe pick up some handy tips :wink:

Will do mate, I Think you could learn something :wink:

I want to share my experiences with others who are interested and give POSITIVE comments/feedback/advice etc

Please forgive me as it’s Sunday morning and I can’t decide wether your taking the ■■■■ or not :open_mouth:

But on the whole, try and enjoy your Sunday for ■■■■■ sake :confused:

D’B

I am definitely enjoying the whole weekend as I am off work :smiley:

alder:
I am definitely enjoying the whole weekend as I am off work :smiley:

Good.

Well if the weather clears up I’m going to cut the grass, I find it’s sort of therapeutic. To me anyway :wink: