Job interview for dhl driving for next though

Right guys so I passed my class 2 last Tuesday and applied for 5 jobs on Saturday. I received a call today for an interview with dhl. I have looked at the yard and seen they drive daf,s which look ok. So any advice as to what I should expect on interview ect.
Thank you very much

Ashley

Usual stuff for an interview. “Why do you want this job etc”. Bring your PPE as well mind because they could throw you a set of keys to see how you can handle a truck.

Radar19:
Usual stuff for an interview. “Why do you want this job etc”. Bring your PPE as well mind because they could throw you a set of keys to see how you can handle a truck.

Yes I expected the typical interview questions but what do you as these days to why do you want this job why us ect? So go smart in shirt and ect the normal but ile leave Ppe in the car just in case, I’m guessing just a hi vis and boots ? Maybe gloves at a push lol

ash 001:

Radar19:

Yes I expected the typical interview questions but what do you as these days to why do you want this job why us ect? So go smart in shirt and ect the normal but ile leave Ppe in the car just in case, I’m guessing just a hi vis and boots ? Maybe gloves at a push lol

■■?

its an interview end of …
you’ll answer questions be told rate and hrs and shift patterns which Will include weekends as they DHL seem to wan all drivers to work over the weekends. when on Agency they wanted me to do a 2 day induction for the use of systems including all the usual gumph if its shop work you’ll have some places you’ll be hard pushed to get a shopping trolly in others you’ll have enough room to land a 747
Store staff can be grumpy as F94% if its the wrong day of the month etc and you’ll get the dolly that will show a bit extra to get you to do a bit more work so they don’t have to.
End of the day you drive deliver collect drive … like any other job you’ll either like it or not

nick2008:

ash 001:

Radar19:

■■?

its an interview end of …
you’ll answer questions be told rate and hrs and shift patterns which Will include weekends as they DHL seem to wan all drivers to work over the weekends. when on Agency they wanted me to do a 2 day induction for the use of systems including all the usual gumph if its shop work you’ll have some places you’ll be hard pushed to get a shopping trolly in others you’ll have enough room to land a 747
Store staff can be grumpy as F94% if its the wrong day of the month etc and you’ll get the dolly that will show a bit extra to get you to do a bit more work so they don’t have to.
End of the day you drive deliver collect drive … like any other job you’ll either like it or not

I didn’t want someone to put a downer on it all I wanted was some advice and what to expect I know Ile just treat it like a normal interview but just wanted to know if there was anything different to expect.

What I know so far …

The lorry’s they use are daf’s like I said do you think these will be autos ? I believe they have demountable body’s for loading some one has told me I don’t know how true this is. Days will generally be 12 hour days I have been told but I’m guessing I can do that everyday or I will go over the average of 45 hours a week? I’m not going to look up the company and see what I can find out :slight_smile:

Hi Ash, the son of GOD, or possibly ROG! :stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds like someone is a bit nervous about being throw in a Manual :wink: After passing their test in an Auto! :laughing:
(Maybe you should have had a 4th instructor in a Manual as well… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:)

But joking aside, it’s something I’m nervous about, as I’m taking my test in an Auto in a couple of weeks time with PSTT. You’re probably thinking the same as me “I’m used to a clutch, so how hard can it be?” or “Should I have learnt in a Manual?” which I bet your feeling now, as judgement day is almost upon you! :open_mouth:

But I think it’s worth remembering that DHL will know your a new pass, and won’t necessarily expect you to be familiar with the truck, so I suspect (and hope) you will have a bit of a free pass, to ask newbie questions. However grinding every gear before you get out the gates, may result in a very short employment period! :smiley:

Have you seen dieseldaves post on “Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS…” here: Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

As for hours, what makes you think you’re going to spend your whole day driving and not doing “Other Work” or possibly “POA”. I’m sure someone will be along who has worked for DHL who can fill you in. And there looks to be a few threads in the main forum about DHL…

Best of luck and give us the bowel clenching details of how you get on…

Al

P.S.I don’t think nick2008 is trying to put a downer on anything, just being brutally honest! I’ve been on this forum a while, as i’m a bit ■■■■ about researching things before I do or commit to them, and from what I’ve seen on here, your probably going to be on physically demanding “cage or handball donkey” work, that you may like, or hate in equal measure. I think it’s considered “undesirable” work, and possibly why a lot of people want to get straight to C+E. Personally, I think that while this isn’t necessarily a job I would want to do long term, that isn’t important! The only thing that matters is getting that 6 months experience under my belt, which opens up better opportunities. However I wouldn’t suggest you say that in the interview, and suggest you go with “This is the job of my dreams!” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The interview is all about a positive attitude! i.e. Getting fit for free is a perk of the job! :wink:

If it’s an 18 tonner or less, it will probably be either auto or 6 speed. So no big deal.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

And the one they use for your assessment will be the cleanest one you’ll ever sit in, possibly everything might even work.

Evil8Beezle:
Hi Ash, the son of GOD, or possibly ROG! :stuck_out_tongue:

It sounds like someone is a bit nervous about being throw in a Manual :wink: After passing their test in an Auto! :laughing:
(Maybe you should have had a 4th instructor in a Manual as well… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:)

But joking aside, it’s something I’m nervous about, as I’m taking my test in an Auto in a couple of weeks time with PSTT. You’re probably thinking the same as me “I’m used to a clutch, so how hard can it be?” or “Should I have learnt in a Manual?” which I bet your feeling now, as judgement day is almost upon you! :open_mouth:

But I think it’s worth remembering that DHL will know your a new pass, and won’t necessarily expect you to be familiar with the truck, so I suspect (and hope) you will have a bit of a free pass, to ask newbie questions. However grinding every gear before you get out the gates, may result in a very short employment period! :smiley:

Have you seen dieseldaves post on “Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS…” here: Introduction to a couple of 8-speed gearboxes WITH PICS - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

As for hours, what makes you think you’re going to spend your whole day driving and not doing “Other Work” or possibly “POA”. I’m sure someone will be along who has worked for DHL who can fill you in. And there looks to be a few threads in the main forum about DHL…

Best of luck and give us the bowel clenching details of how you get on…

Al

P.S.I don’t think nick2008 is trying to put a downer on anything, just being brutally honest! I’ve been on this forum a while, as i’m a bit ■■■■ about researching things before I do or commit to them, and from what I’ve seen on here, your probably going to be on physically demanding “cage or handball donkey” work, that you may like, or hate in equal measure. I think it’s considered “undesirable” work, and possibly why a lot of people want to get straight to C+E. Personally, I think that while this isn’t necessarily a job I would want to do long term, that isn’t important! The only thing that matters is getting that 6 months experience under my belt, which opens up better opportunities. However I wouldn’t suggest you say that in the interview, and suggest you go with “This is the job of my dreams!” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The interview is all about a positive attitude! i.e. Getting fit for free is a perk of the job! :wink:

Son of god speaking here !

Thank you for the advice much appreciated , yes maybe I thought what If it’s a manual yeh I can drive a manual but I haven’t driven a lorry in manual lol. I’m sure it will be fine either way like you said just take it easy. I have checked out 8 speed gearboxes already but will familiarise myself before interview day :slight_smile: Ile see if I can see any posts on the main forum but I know so far it will be home deliveries for next so guessing I will have a drivers mate so should be ok. I work ridiculously hard ATM shifting 2t of shopping a day so I am up for anything haha. Yes like up said I’m only there for the experience, you it it in one! But obviously they will hear it’s the job of my dreams your a fantastic company ect :slight_smile:

Peter Smythe:
If it’s an 18 tonner or less, it will probably be either auto or 6 speed. So no big deal.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete I will let you know how I get on, yes that was my guess that it would be more than a 6 speed anyway and 8 at a push!

PaulNowak:
And the one they use for your assessment will be the cleanest one you’ll ever sit in, possibly everything might even work.

Haha that’s as expected isn’t it , it’s the same as my company at the moment out vans are awful! So anything is probably better then them :slight_smile:

Interview tomorrow 10am needless to say im bricking it right now! :grimacing:

ash 001:

You will be fine pal, you’re the son of God! :laughing:

And the worst then can say is no mate! Which probably isn’t likely as there does seems to be a rise in driver demand, if not in pay.

You know the score, so just be yourself and keen as red hot mustard!

Best of luck mate! :smiley:

Thank you mate fingers crossed as I really need the experience! Lets just hope they love me and of course I’m the son of God I should probably let them know that on arrival. :grimacing:

You’ve already done the hard part, just remember to treat the truck with care and have consideration for what you are carrying! Be warned though, driving a fully loaded truck is a lot different compared to your truck you did your test in. It will not stop as quickly so keep that in mind! Remember, you are there to show the driver trainer that you are capable of handling a truck on the road whilst doing work. Its one thing being able to drive a truck, its another trying to drive one while looking out for the tiny side street that leads round the back of the store to the loading area all the while dodging every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry on the roads!

You may be asked as well to strap things down, if its cages then you may just have load bars which are easy peasy. Always remember to check and triple check, if you can’t remember if you closed the shutter at the back, get out and check it. A simple 5 second check could save you an very embrassing phone call to the gaffer explaining why all the stock is scattered across the highstreet before the store got their hands on it!

Lastly, enjoy it! Ask questions, show some nauce, don’t drive like a loon but don’t drive like Miss Daisy either.

And if its a manual range change, don’t rush the change. You’ll get a box of neturals!

Evil8Beezle:

ash 001:

You will be fine pal, you’re the son of God! :laughing:

And the worst then can say is no mate! Which probably isn’t likely as there does seems to be a rise in driver demand, if not in pay.

You know the score, so just be yourself and keen as red hot mustard!

Best of luck mate! :smiley:

‘There does seem to be a rise in driver demand, if not in pay’.

Can you elaborate on that one, please.

Radar19:
You’ve already done the hard part, just remember to treat the truck with care and have consideration for what you are carrying! Be warned though, driving a fully loaded truck is a lot different compared to your truck you did your test in. It will not stop as quickly so keep that in mind! Remember, you are there to show the driver trainer that you are capable of handling a truck on the road whilst doing work. Its one thing being able to drive a truck, its another trying to drive one while looking out for the tiny side street that leads round the back of the store to the loading area all the while dodging every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry on the roads!

You may be asked as well to strap things down, if its cages then you may just have load bars which are easy peasy. Always remember to check and triple check, if you can’t remember if you closed the shutter at the back, get out and check it. A simple 5 second check could save you an very embrassing phone call to the gaffer explaining why all the stock is scattered across the highstreet before the store got their hands on it!

Lastly, enjoy it! Ask questions, show some nauce, don’t drive like a loon but don’t drive like Miss Daisy either.

+1

And what radar says about stopping distances fully loaded; I think I’d learn from his advice and add a bit more! :laughing: (It might then be about right! :wink:)

Nice one radar!

Im glad to say guys he offered me the job on the spot! subject to a driving assessment that he said I will have no problem with he has never had anyone fail before! So if you need a little training that’s what they will give you :slight_smile: Well I learnt in an auto rader so I am definitely ■■■■■■■■ it a little bit if it is an manul I will just take my time no rush any advice much appreciated lol.

ash 001:
Im glad to say guys he offered me the job on the spot! subject to a driving assessment that he said I will have no problem with he has never had anyone fail before! So if you need a little training that’s what they will give you :slight_smile: Well I learnt in an auto rader so I am definitely [zb] it a little bit if it is an manul I will just take my time no rush any advice much appreciated lol.

Nice one Ash, I told you you’d get it! D

When is your assessment then? I thought this would be done at the same time. :confused:
It’s funny that he said no one has failed the assessment, as it begs the question: So what’s the point of it? :open_mouth:

If you have to get in a manual, and not driven one before, you’re going to have some fun! :grimacing:

Not sure if you saw the post i did about my first experience in an 8 speed (4 over 4): Newbie learning in 8 speed Manual Four-over-Four - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Best of luck mate!

Evil8Beezle:

ash 001:
Im glad to say guys he offered me the job on the spot! subject to a driving assessment that he said I will have no problem with he has never had anyone fail before! So if you need a little training that’s what they will give you :slight_smile: Well I learnt in an auto rader so I am definitely [zb] it a little bit if it is an manul I will just take my time no rush any advice much appreciated lol.

Nice one Ash, I told you you’d get it! D

When is your assessment then? I thought this would be done at the same time. :confused:
It’s funny that he said no one has failed the assessment, as it begs the question: So what’s the point of it? :open_mouth:

If you have to get in a manual, and not driven one before, you’re going to have some fun! :grimacing:

Not sure if you saw the post i did about my first experience in an 8 speed (4 over 4): Newbie learning in 8 speed Manual Four-over-Four - NEW AND WANNABE DRIVERS (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Best of luck mate!

I know rather strange that i do not have an assessment drive at time of interview my start date is the 17th august and he said i will have my driving assessment then! You cant fail unless you are dangerous ect he said so ile be fine i know i will :slight_smile: Does anyone fancy trawling the internet to ifnd out if next lorry’s are auto because ive tried but failed i cant find any info :frowning: strange way of doing it though so im guessing if your ■■■■ they just train you! but it will be fine im sure :slight_smile: i shall now read your post with much delete and ■■■■ myself a little more if its a manual lol