JEWSONS

they seem to be recruiting everywhere lately ,anyone got any idea why ■■ are they expanding , or are drivers abandoning them ■■

syramax:
they seem to be recruiting everywhere lately ,anyone got any idea why ■■ are they expanding , or are drivers abandoning them ■■

I posted the same about 2 months ago .
I reckon they just can’t get people to work EVERY other weekend as part of the contract .

It might be different now but I went for a job at Jewson’s about 15 years ago and the bloke was embarrassed to tell me what the wages were.

class 1 or 2 or both ?

thetastytrucker:
class 1 or 2 or both ?

Pretty much all builders merchants (Jewson,Travis Perkins, local independents etc) operate class two trucks.

Certainly not for everyone, seems a bit of a marmite job! Can be dealing with some awkward customers, delivering pretty much anywhere a class 2 lorry will fit etc. Fair bit of handball/some hiab offload.

Rate seems poor across the board, really should be a pound or two higher with the hiab aspect etc to try to retain more drivers perhaps. Don’t think they get any overtime etc as your basically working as the builders merchants daily hours dictate.

As I say seems a marmite type job, some guys like the local aspect to it and enjoy the job, others will last days/weeks.

Harry Monk:
It might be different now but I went for a job at Jewson’s about 15 years ago and the bloke was embarrassed to tell me what the wages were.

A guy I know recently quit, he said the class 2 wages were too embarrassing to repeat. Not sure what he was earning though.

When I was in there via agency about 4 years ago it was around 20 grand 0730 till 1700 and every other sat morning, I liked the job but the money was pish

Had a friend there who was on 22-24k a year (18 months ago)
Jobs a doddle but office staff/loaders were incompetent which combined with a new computer delivery routing programme made the job crap.

To me it’s a job that suits someone who’s wife is the main bread winner

My mate works for them and on 22,500k he only does it as he’s getting on abit and more of a job to pass the time in retirement. Alot of the lads get their hiab and do 6 months and move on to better paid work

thetastytrucker:
class 1 or 2 or both ?

Class 2, usually with a brick-grab HIAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The salary is negotiable at each individual store up to a set limit, which I believe currently is £26k for store hours mon-fri and every other Saturday morning.

thanks for the replies , I’m presently working for TP , as said its a marmite job but I like it .I have a mostly rural (b roads and farm tracks) with a smattering of housing estate diy work area so not much blocking roads with cones and the grief that goes with it. only problem is 20 mile e/w commute which makes a dent in £18.5k per year :frowning: . Jewson are advertising 15mins walk from where I live but I don’t want to leave a job I like for something that may not be what it seems ■■ the number of ads on here for class 2 work with them on here made me wonder if there was a problem with them .

syramax:
thanks for the replies , I’m presently working for TP , as said its a marmite job but I like it .I have a mostly rural (b roads and farm tracks) with a smattering of housing estate diy work area so not much blocking roads with cones and the grief that goes with it. only problem is 20 mile e/w commute which makes a dent in £18.5k per year :frowning: . Jewson are advertising 15mins walk from where I live but I don’t want to leave a job I like for something that may not be what it seems ■■ the number of ads on here for class 2 work with them on here made me wonder if there was a problem with them .

Look at CCF, as an alternative. £23.4k, no weekends just two Saturdays stock-taking, going home around 1-2. Job and knock.

part of travis perkins group :neutral_face: no idea why there is such a difference in pay though :unamused:

Some parts of the group are more profitable than others…

They’re not called JEWsons for nothing. :wink:

It’s a job I’ve always fancied as generally its roughly office hours but the pay …

IndigoJo:

thetastytrucker:
class 1 or 2 or both ?

I’ve seen a few wagon and drag on the motorways, prehaps that’s just trunking between sites?

tommymanc:

IndigoJo:

thetastytrucker:
class 1 or 2 or both ?

I’ve seen a few wagon and drag on the motorways, prehaps that’s just trunking between sites?

Yes - the drawbar HIAB trucks normally deliver bricks and blocks to the builders’ merchants, not to the merchants’ customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk