JEWSONS

syramax:
thanks for the replies , I’m presently working for TP , as said its a marmite job but I like it .I have a mostly rural (b roads and farm tracks) with a smattering of housing estate diy work area so not much blocking roads with cones and the grief that goes with it. only problem is 20 mile e/w commute which makes a dent in £18.5k per year :frowning: . Jewson are advertising 15mins walk from where I live but I don’t want to leave a job I like for something that may not be what it seems ■■ the number of ads on here for class 2 work with them on here made me wonder if there was a problem with them .

You’d think the work would be pretty similar surely?

However as you say going to another depot is a risk…could have a ■■■■ of a manager/supervisor etc. Run like a joke, no moral among staff, you’re suddenly the new guy, and could end up being a nightmare.

Maybe take a wander in and see if you can have a chat with them, might give a better indication.

I’ve been to different sites close by to each other (same company) covering etc and the difference between the two places is unreal.

Sometimes better sticking with the devil you know!

I have worked at 3 different Jewsons branches and it’s really down to how each one is run

Some are managed well, the drivers know where they are expected to go and are asked if they would do extra drops etc after a certain time

Some aren’t so good. Drops are all over the shop, may not be suitable for a class 2, take blinkin’ ages to get sorted and then moan at you when you are late back

All these are St Gobain (or were when I was working for them) staffed mainly from Manpower (also St Gobain) and all run differently for crap money

Bit of a lottery really without the nice surprise at the end :smiley:

Their advertising again .
Almost every week they have at least 2 ads on here,
I just wonder if anyone at Jewsons has noticed or asked why they have such a problem getting drivers. . :unamused:

Does any one know if TP pay weekly or monthly?

nick2008:
Their advertising again .
Almost every week they have at least 2 ads on here,
I just wonder if anyone at Jewsons has noticed or asked why they have such a problem getting drivers. . :unamused:

Upturn in business. I think more houses are just being built so they’re needing more drivers to meet demand. Certainly where I’m at we’re flat out with kitchens already, have been all summer and its not got to the busy part of the year yet. Everywhere you look new housing estates are going up.

Conor:
Upturn in business. I think more houses are just being built so they’re needing more drivers to meet demand. Certainly where I’m at we’re flat out with kitchens already, have been all summer and its not got to the busy part of the year yet. Everywhere you look new housing estates are going up.

The merchants are busy, as are grab away firms but in general, tipper work is slowing. Many small firms around here are struggling to even get work via the quarry and muckshift firms. Several subbies near me bought new lorries like sheep in the last 12 months and now they’re doing any old crap or ringing each other for work. Whilst sat here having a coffee three have just gone by me, all on that most lucrative of jobs, hauling Farmer Giles heavily subsidised lime dust. If it was such a good job, why are the quarry owners own trucks not doing it?

Ozziebear:

its monthly pay

syramax:

Ozziebear:

its monthly pay

Thanks for the reply

One particular builders merchant I know wants you out of the depot 15 minutes after your start time. In that 15 minutes you must carry out a walk around check of the vehicle. No problem there then you say, but they also want a 30 point check of the crane, using it through all of its full and free movement.

In that 15 minutes you will also check every item on your load against the paperwork.

Your average load will consist of bricks, blocks, sets of timber, insulation, plasterboard, nails, screws, fittings and fixtures, cement, plaster, plywood.

You will have loaded all that the night before if you were lucky, if you were really lucky, you would have strapped every thing down, including the brick grab once you found room to put it somewhere. Because also before leaving you will have to strap everything for Mr Vosa or whatever this weeks name for them is. This particular company holds regular ‘training’ sessions and issues leaflets and explanatory notes detailing how to carry these checks out and the emphasis on how strictly they must be adhered to. After all it is ‘Company Policy’ and must be carried out.

But when drivers have explained that to do it the company way will result in a lot more time than the allotted 15 minutes, they insist it must, and can be done. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary procedure.
So, no small wonder that builders merchants are finding it hard to get people to do the job, especially for the money they pay. Couple that with delivering to awkward people (builders) in awkward places, and you have a recipe for disgruntlement!

Twoninety88:
One particular builders merchant I know wants you out of the depot 15 minutes after your start time. In that 15 minutes you must carry out a walk around check of the vehicle. No problem there then you say, but they also want a 30 point check of the crane, using it through all of its full and free movement.

In that 15 minutes you will also check every item on your load against the paperwork.

Your average load will consist of bricks, blocks, sets of timber, insulation, plasterboard, nails, screws, fittings and fixtures, cement, plaster, plywood.

You will have loaded all that the night before if you were lucky, if you were really lucky, you would have strapped every thing down, including the brick grab once you found room to put it somewhere. Because also before leaving you will have to strap everything for Mr Vosa or whatever this weeks name for them is. This particular company holds regular ‘training’ sessions and issues leaflets and explanatory notes detailing how to carry these checks out and the emphasis on how strictly they must be adhered to. After all it is ‘Company Policy’ and must be carried out.

But when drivers have explained that to do it the company way will result in a lot more time than the allotted 15 minutes, they insist it must, and can be done. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary procedure.
So, no small wonder that builders merchants are finding it hard to get people to do the job, especially for the money they pay. Couple that with delivering to awkward people (builders) in awkward places, and you have a recipe for disgruntlement!

If there ever came a point where that was my only option for driving work, doing that and working for a company like that I’d pack it in and go and stack shelves or sit on a checkout instead! Less hassle!

Twoninety88:

This would all be given the reply of
"You show me how it can be done in 15 minutes "

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk