James c ashworth of bradford

will have a look this weekend am sure there is a side on photo of baler trailer with F88 again in dunkirk in my dads box,i also asked some ex drivers over xmas for photos but none have appeared as yet

dont know how but posted the photo of bakers and RDQ on bratford thread but somehow removed photos and put them on here will have to rescan and put them on here again

usera.imagecave.com/peterq5422/scan0001.jpg
usera.imagecave.com/peterq5422/scan0002.jpg

my dad was with a long serving driver for ashworths last week and he is copying all the photos he has from the 60s and 70s so should get some good ones on here soon

does any you old drivers in bradford area remember graham and kevin bedford

Normally see Kevin Bedford on boxing day at the Fleece at Allerton ,he was driving for Wilsons until they closed not sure what he is doing now!

had a drink with frank mcquade today am picking some photos up this weekend he has quite a selection by the sound of it also bought a couple off a truck website will post them soon.Only thing is my photo site seems to have closed my account does anyone know any others?I am still trying to find a picture of an ashworths tractor cab trailer if anyone can help me thankyou

There was a good article on Ashworths in a 2001 edition of ‘TRUCK’ -
the tractor carrying drawbars looked pretty impressive

i read that but the magazine went missing.the guy who they interviewed was frank mcquade who worked for ashworths for 22 years a brilliant guy with so me great stories to tell.dont suppose anybody has a copy they would like to sell ■■?

Dont know whether you know but Ashworths also had a depot inthe 60s in Doncaster,area known as ‘Black Bank’ its where the Tesco RDC is now,they used to pull out of International Harvesters on Wheatley Hall Rd in Donny

i did know thanks they used to store a lot of harvester machinery there it was where the hay balers were loaded onto the double deckers .You had to drive about half a mile down an unmade track that shook everything about and the yard was just a dustbowl.When the new road went in they got a new yard only 1/4 of a mile away and this time it was ■■■■■■■■ what a revelation now the trucks got covered in a white dust.They also had a yard in Liverpool just set back from the docks.

can’t wait to see your photos peter - i bought 2 from the articulationpix site earlier this year, an F88 and a marathon with baler trailers, taken somewhere in the east end of london, mid 70s, cannot post them here of course :frowning:

Peterq,have you seen the picture of the AEC Mammoth Major loaded with 13 tractors in the book Trucks in Britain vol 1 by Colin wright,very impressive!The books very good some great pics of well kown Yorkshire hauliers from years ago

i have seen that picture there is a copy framed in the red lion pub in bradford quite an impressive outfit wonder how it ever pulled up that hill to ashworths yard .How much do you think all that would weigh?

jj72 i have the same photos also on that site was an atkinson mk1 my dad remembers ashworths bought 2 as scrap then rebuilt them and sent them down the road the one on the site was driven by Roger Jackson.Are you too having problems putting pics on here?My account has been closed does this happen if you dont use it regularly?

peterq, i have just 2 photos on this whole site - and putting those up nearly caused a nervous breakdown :blush: yes, i think with the hosting sites, if you don’t use it for a month or so they close the account, probably to save space on their servers?

Peterq , hows frank mcquade doing, haven’t seen him for quite a while.
If you see him tell him derrick from panalpina was asking.

re the pic of the truck with 13 tractors, was that the one taken in Town hall square, bradford., going arond the crystal palace toilets?

If so, Joe Craven used to have it in his front room.

I haven’t any pics of it but Ashworths bought the Guy Big J that I used to run for Blackburns contractors along with the King low loader that went with it. WAK705K.
Incidentally, who is your dad?

The school i went to in Hyde Park,Doncaster in the late 60s was 50m away from Ashworths yard and i can remember the shiny new bright red tractors on the back of these fantastic looking lorries coming and going passed the school,they must have been amongst the largest lorries on the road at that time and something i will never forget.Could you imagine somebody turning up on the Trans-Pennine Rally with one of those transporters -WOW!!!

hi del my dad is bob quirie he was mostly on the tractor cab job with the erf above .Will pass on your regards to Frank next time i see him which will be fairly soon he is lending me some photos to copy.Shame you have no pics of the big j will ask dad what the reg of his was he hadone as his second ever artic

had to have new windsreen fitted before christmas,got talking to to somebody else waiting,told me he was metal fabricator who made the baler trailers for jack ashworth.he said jack always wore a brown suit,wore it for years,he said the pants were split at the back and when he bent over you could see his bits hanging down.