J26 Truckstop M25, no free parking

Went into J26 cafe at lunchtime today for a break, as I drove slowly up the crater laden track to the parking area I was waved down by a guy in a hi viz, the conversation went like this,

Hi viz: Are you stopping for the night or just a break,

Me: Just a break, do you want me to park somewhere specific

Hi viz: No, park where ever, you know you can’t stop here for a break without eating in the cafe don’t you.

Me: No I didn’t but it’s not a problem as I had intended having a bite to eat anyway,

Hi viz: That’s ok then on your way, there’s no free parking here mate, drivers are taking the ■■■■ by…

By this stage my window was three quarters up and I had listened to enough as I drove further into the dust bowl I decided that this particular establishment wouldn’t be getting any of my hard earned today, or any day for that matter, I turned round and started heading back out, hi viz starts waving his hands in the belief that I was about to park in an unauthorised area of the moon based dust bowl, I blanked him and got back onto the M25 and made my way to Crawley Crossing for lunch.
Has anyone else experienced the no free parking rule anywhere else, it’s a new one on me.

I’ve stopped there before, and had nothing but a ■■■■. I apologise; it’s probably my fault :laughing:

Seriously, where do they get off?

Ive not driven in the UK for years (apart from going ‘home’ in my car from time to time) and from the description of the state of the services doesnt sound like much has really changed over the years :frowning:

Swindon Truckstop put a sign up that the lorry park was only for those who brave/use the cafe. I was told the owners of Cirencester ■■■■ Park (truckstop) used to get annoyed if you didn’t buy what almost resembled food.
A few Tea Coli van owners think that the layby they park in belongs to them, and I’ve been given evil stares by parking there in full view of them and not buying anything. It’s funny when you park up and they drop their ■■■ and dash inside, occasionally poking their head out waiting for you :laughing: I’ve had a couple of run ins with these merchants of bacteria which were quite amusing.
I shall be parking at the Glider near Minchinhampton later today for my break and I will not be buying anything.

That one at Tebay has no parking if not buying rule, I’m sure. I’ll let them off because their food is good or it was when I last went in there.

I was under the impression that any designated MSA has to offer 2 hours free parking. Turning you away because of a lack of space is one thing. Turning you away because you don’t buy a sandwich is questionable practice and possibly against their licence.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

It’s not an MSA, it’s a privately owned truckstop. They are entitled to pose whatever legal restrictions they like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah fair enough.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Sad greedy £%&# ,The thing is, word travels fast .
They will be bankrupting themselves ,Or just causing more hardships for themselves .The Stupidity of greed is beyond comprehension.

Cov:
They will be bankrupting themselves ,Or just causing more hardships for themselves .The Stupidity of greed is beyond comprehension.

No they won’t. They are running a business not a charity and they have overheads. You’ll all soon be whinging when they decide to sell it for warehousing due to lack of profit and ungrateful muppets. Don’t want to eat there don’t park there.

billybigrig:

Cov:

No they won’t. They are running a business not a charity and they have overheads. You’ll all soon be whinging when they decide to sell it for warehousing due to lack of profit and ungrateful muppets. Don’t want to eat there don’t park there.

Take less caffiene :laughing:

Can understand where the owner is coming from he makes his money from selling food, plus there is nothing worse than trying to get a bite to eat and the park is full of people not using the facilities. The last routiers I was in in France the owner kicked out all those who were not going to use the restaurant, instantly freed up about 10 spaces for those who did want to eat.

billybigrig:

Cov:

+1
And if you don’t use the facilities, the next thing you know they’ll be closed and the land sold off and then you’ll have no parking regardless of whether you want to use the facilities or not.

Muckaway:
Swindon Truckstop put a sign up that the lorry park was only for those who brave/use the cafe. I was told the owners of Cirencester ■■■■ Park (truckstop) used to get annoyed if you didn’t buy what almost resembled food.

I parked there the other week for a 50 and didn’t see anyone patrolling it but i did splash out on a tea though.

Good food and free showers.
Ticks all my boxes

bald bloke:

Muckaway:

I parked there the other week for a 50 and didn’t see anyone patrolling it but i did splash out on a tea though.

I haven’t been in there for a while but last time there were signs up as you drove in. Hate the place anyway.
Whoever said about losing facilities, if they’re a ■■■■ tip then who cares? Would anyone not use a layby just because there was a bacteria merchant in there and you were depriving them of revenue by not buying something?

This isn’t a “Frey Bentos Door Opener”-run cafe by any chance?

Clearly don’t believe in spending readies getting their own people to level off the land properly (surely a H&S violation?) - but want to charge people for parking upto 2 hours free everywhere else in on the Dark side of the Moon?

Muckaway:
[Would anyone not use a layby just because there was a bacteria merchant in there and you were depriving them of revenue by not buying something?

Layby’s aren’t owned by the people who own the tea vans, they are part of the road network.

muckles:

Muckaway:
[Would anyone not use a layby just because there was a bacteria merchant in there and you were depriving them of revenue by not buying something?

Layby’s aren’t owned by the people who own the tea vans, they are part of the road network.

Yep owned by the county or district councils
Just threaten them you’ll tell the council they’re trading there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billybigrig:

Cov:

Totally agree billybigrig, its not like a lay by or kerbside on an Industrial estate, the owners there(j26) have to pay the cost of maintaining the parking area from profits made from the services provided, and judging by the state of the lorry park there’s ■■■■ all profit in running a truck stop :unamused:

Haven’t been in there for years, might have to give it go, maybe park and go and by a Yorkie bar :smiley: