J26 Truckstop M25, no free parking

billybigrig:
No they won’t. They are running a business not a charity and they have overheads. You’ll all soon be whinging when they decide to sell it for warehousing due to lack of profit and ungrateful muppets. Don’t want to eat there don’t park there.

I agree. If operating a truck stop was some kind of gold mine, they would be popping up everywhere.

Muckaway:

bald bloke:

Muckaway:
Swindon Truckstop put a sign up that the lorry park was only for those who brave/use the cafe. I was told the owners of Cirencester ■■■■ Park (truckstop) used to get annoyed if you didn’t buy what almost resembled food.

I parked there the other week for a 50 and didn’t see anyone patrolling it but i did splash out on a tea though.

I haven’t been in there for a while but last time there were signs up as you drove in. Hate the place anyway.
Whoever said about losing facilities, if they’re a [zb] tip then who cares? Would anyone not use a layby just because there was a bacteria merchant in there and you were depriving them of revenue by not buying something?

Planning permission. If they go nothing will replace them. Nimbys and council ■■■■■■■■ mean it is difficult and expensive to get for a truckstop. Why do you think Stobrats and Marmite bought them. Existing hardstanding and truck traffic meaning less chance of nimby opposition.
Use them and if not happy take the time to complain constructively. They can be improved, revamped or sold on to people who care but they will not be replaced when gone.
The Hollies being a prime example of possibilities in improvement. Of course the prices have gone up there but it is a business and the improvement needs to be paid for somehow.

eddie snax:
might have to give it go, maybe park and go and by a Yorkie bar

Don’t go there if it hasn’t rained for a week it’s a dust bowl and you have to time it so you get out your cab before a lorry comes in otherwise you’ll be eating dust.

R143-500:
Went into J26 cafe at lunchtime today for a break, as I drove slowly up the crater laden track to the parking area I was waved down by a guy in a hi viz, the conversation went like this,

Hi viz: Are you stopping for the night or just a break,

Me: Just a break, do you want me to park somewhere specific

Hi viz: No, park where ever, you know you can’t stop here for a break without eating in the cafe don’t you.

Me: No I didn’t but it’s not a problem as I had intended having a bite to eat anyway,

Hi viz: That’s ok then on your way, there’s no free parking here mate, drivers are taking the ■■■■ by…

By this stage my window was three quarters up and I had listened to enough as I drove further into the dust bowl I decided that this particular establishment wouldn’t be getting any of my hard earned today, or any day for that matter, I turned round and started heading back out, hi viz starts waving his hands in the belief that I was about to park in an unauthorised area of the moon based dust bowl, I blanked him and got back onto the M25 and made my way to Crawley Crossing for lunch.
Has anyone else experienced the no free parking rule anywhere else, it’s a new one on me.

There is a truck park outside Portsmouth which appears to have the same policy. I found it a bit confusing as it’s advertised from the A27 without any indication that you have to pay to park there, but I’ve been in there twice and pulled away without stopping as I’m not fond of greasy spoons. The one further out at Havant doesn’t charge for tacho breaks, but Portsmouth really needs a proper service station, or even a council truck park like Avon Heath or Cartgate.

IndigoJo:

R143-500:
Went into J26 cafe at lunchtime today for a break, as I drove slowly up the crater laden track to the parking area I was waved down by a guy in a hi viz, the conversation went like this,

Hi viz: No, park where ever, you know you can’t stop here for a break without eating in the cafe don’t you.

Me: No I didn’t but it’s not a problem as I had intended having a bite to eat anyway,

Hi viz: That’s ok then on your way, there’s no free parking here mate, drivers are taking the ■■■■ by…

By this stage my window was three quarters up and I had listened to enough as I drove further into the dust bowl I decided that this particular establishment wouldn’t be getting any of my hard earned today, or any day for that matter, I turned round and started heading back out, hi viz starts waving his hands in the belief that I was about to park in an unauthorised area of the moon based dust bowl, I blanked him and got back onto the M25 and made my way to Crawley Crossing for lunch.
Has anyone else experienced the no free parking rule anywhere else, it’s a new one on me.

There is a truck park outside Portsmouth which appears to have the same policy. I found it a bit confusing as it’s advertised from the A27 without any indication that you have to pay to park there, but I’ve been in there twice and pulled away without stopping as I’m not fond of greasy spoons. The one further out at Havant doesn’t charge for tacho breaks, but Portsmouth really needs a proper service station, or even a council truck park like Avon Heath or Cartgate.

That Portsmouth one is just a small car park with some fuel pumps in and what a dump
Thankfully I don’t have to use it as my yard is only 30 mins away so is my house

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d rather not waste money on truck stops. I bring food from home and normally park in our yard for a break. If I’m “on long distance” :laughing: I will park in MSAs. If I do get out of my cab it’s to walk to the toilet and that’s it.
Of course I will park in laybys with tea vans, hoping I annoy the bacteria merchant by taking up vital space. :smiling_imp:

blue estate:

IndigoJo:

R143-500:

That Portsmouth one is just a small car park with some fuel pumps in and what a dump
Thankfully I don’t have to use it as my yard is only 30 mins away so is my house

Do you work for FTL Blue ? you might know a couple or 3 of my mates if you do

Winseer:
This isn’t a “Frey Bentos Door Opener”-run cafe by any chance?

Clearly don’t believe in spending readies getting their own people to level off the land properly (surely a H&S violation?) - but want to charge people for parking upto 2 hours free everywhere else in on the Dark side of the Moon?

When i scrolled down the thread i thought that was a close up of the bacteria they served up…

Muckaway:
Swindon Truckstop put a sign up that the lorry park was only for those who brave/use the cafe. I was told the owners of Cirencester ■■■■ Park

‘■■■■ park’ :laughing:

Seriously though what is going on in the UK where the truck driver is treated so badly■■? 2016 and nothings changed in the last 25 years it seems :frowning:

I must confess I’m on my last dodgy look at Welford for not buying food when parking overnight.

The old “no food thanks but what time do you open for breakfast” isn’t fooling anyone.

I do see Waltham Abbeys point in a must make a profit to stay open stylee but when word gets round your taking the ■■■■ patronage may reduce somewhat. Apart from at night but sure Snap take a juicy cut.

Invest in your customers and they will invest in you.

I stop there for my break quite a bit and although it’s not cheap the food is quite good. It’s awkward as there’s not a lot of places to stop round there so does get busy and I can see the owners point as it’s not an msa.
To be fair the parking area is ■■■■ poor an I had to give a 4x2 low ride European artic a tow a few weeks back as one drive wheel was in a pot hole and heavy rain had made the surface loose.

Snap parking is crippling the self owned truckstops. One of the problems the Orwell had was all the skis parked up on Snap but didn’t use the cafe or bar so no extra income.

Beau Nydel:
Snap parking is crippling the self owned truckstops. One of the problems the Orwell had was all the skis parked up on Snap but didn’t use the cafe or bar so no extra income.

Why don’t the owners just opt out of SNAP? Forgive my ignorance I have no experience of such things.

Welford is going to lose some custom when Euro garages build their new place on the same junction!

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

rgt1973:
Welford is going to lose some custom when Euro garages build their new place on the same junction!

Is that actually going to happen?

I seem to remember many years ago the Cafe asking customers to sign a petition to allow them to stay, as a services were due to be built on that junction.
I believe there had been outline planning permission for it since the A14 was opened and part of the deal was that the Cafe would be shut down when the services were built.

Muckaway:
That one at Tebay has no parking if not buying rule, I’m sure. I’ll let them off because their food is good or it was when I last went in there.

Still good food [emoji106] to my knowledge you don’t have to pay for short term parking there. I seem to remember if the barrier isn’t open insert your ticket. Someone working there told me the sign is out of date - tickets don’t need validating unless you go over the free parking limit

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Signs are up that Euro garages have aquired the site, so only a matter of time. I would assume they wouldn’t take the site if they couldn’t get planning.

rgt1973:
Signs are up that Euro garages have aquired the site, so only a matter of time. I would assume they wouldn’t take the site if they couldn’t get planning.

I believe you I was just surprised as there was supposed to have a service station built their years ago and it didn’t happen.

Like I said, I think the Junction has always been designated for a service area,
It was along time ago, could be about 15 years, when I went in their and was asked to sign a petition about trying to keep the Cafe open when the service station was built, which is when I’m sure I heard it was part of the deal of the Cafe being there is that it will close down if and when a service area is built.

It’s a great cafe, and the showers are good, so yes, I’d hate to see it close down, but as you say, the fine tilth and craters are reminiscent of lunar regolith. They really should start sorting out the surface. The trash slung everywhere behind the garage should be sorted by the hi viz ■■■■ too.
I would’ve thought they wouldn’t be too bothered about folks taking a 45 ad long as they’re gone before 4pm or so? It surely would build up some goodwill and ensure some stop overs later on.

muckles:

rgt1973:

Is that actually going to happen?

I seem to remember many years ago the Cafe asking customers to sign a petition to allow them to stay, as a services were due to be built on that junction.
I believe there had been outline planning permission for it since the A14 was opened and part of the deal was that the Cafe would be shut down when the services were built.

I not sure that the owners off the land that the Café sits on, think its going to be closed in the next decade, the road outside the café has been widened, and a turn right box made to enter the lorry park from, I would think that the owners would not be contributing to that work, and almost certainly they would have had to put in a hefty lump of that bill, if the café was under threat of closure. They have also made more parking, which would not have been cheap to do either, and they would have hit the full cost of that :wink: